British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Scunthorpe CS 06/04/19

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes you're right and as long as there is some good racing as well I agree.  Just hoping the opposition heat leaders put up more of a fight than they have lately. 

Think Sheffield in a couple of weeks will be a much closer match. Happy enough with what I’ve seen so far, definite improvement in the track last night. Enjoyed the new style parade too. A season of winning most home meetings is something we’ve lacked for so long. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Guest WTF1

Interestingly there seems to be contradicting reports on this meeting,  Leicester supporters are saying plenty of passing and great racing but the Scunny website is saying largely processional racing and the updates site seems to be saying mainly from the gate so is there someone who went  to the meeting who can give an unbiased report of this match.

4 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Interestingly there seems to be contradicting reports on this meeting,  Leicester supporters are saying plenty of passing and great racing but the Scunny website is saying largely processional racing and the updates site seems to be saying mainly from the gate so is there someone who went  to the meeting who can give an unbiased report of this match.

I think people will see what they want to see to a degree. Scunthorpes faithfull who are used to seeing a lot of passing week in week out will have seen it as a processional meeting, whereas those used to the FTG Leicester stuff will have seen a much better meeting than usual. I guess it depends what you are used to. It was a better than usual meeting at Leicester and provided more entertainment than usual, but it certainly wasn't like what was served up the night before.

• Like 2

Guest WTF1
4 minutes ago, wtf said:

I think people will see what they want to see to a degree. Scunthorpes faithfull who are used to seeing a lot of passing week in week out will have seen it as a processional meeting, whereas those used to the FTG Leicester stuff will have seen a much better meeting than usual. I guess it depends what you are used to. It was a better than usual meeting at Leicester and provided more entertainment than usual, but it certainly wasn't like what was served up the night before.

Thanks wtf that will do me. 

7 minutes ago, wtf said:

Spot on. It wasn’t bad, wasn’t that great either. An improvement on the previous week.

• Like 1

Disappointing result for the Scorpions. But we shouldn't panic we need to give our young riders the space to settle in to Championship Speedway. I'm sure we will do. You cannot lose a rider like Jake Allen without impact ? His rides yielded two points under IRR he would surely have been good for 4 times that and a nominated Ht15. So likely a more respectable 54-36 If everyone's standing. Lions have a good top 4; as indeed do Scunny so this competition  is going to be won in the "minor team positions". How well will the young riders coming up from NL cope with CL Speedway ?. It's going to be interesting finding out and as I have stated I do firmly believe that promoters have to resist making changes if early results don't work out.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 2

Guest WTF1
1 hour ago, the outsider said:

Disappointing result for the Scorpions. But we shouldn't panic we need to give our young riders the space to settle in to Championship Speedway. I'm sure we will do. You cannot lose a rider like Jake Allen without impact ? His rides yielded two points under IRR he would surely have been good for 4 times that and a nominated Ht15. So likely a more respectable 54-36 If everyone's standing. Lions have a good top 4; as indeed do Scunny so this competition  is going to be won in the "minor team positions". How well will the young riders coming up from NL cope with CL Speedway ?. It's going to be interesting finding out and as I have stated I do firmly believe that promoters have to resist making changes if early results don't work out.

No need to panic,  I tend to look at the Championship shield matches as challenge matches in readiness for the more serious league matches and then if you find yourself at the bottom of the league after a few matches then it's time to panic lol. 

2 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

I couldn't make it last night as I annoyingly got stuck in Tigers traffic in town... but I have just watched heat 12 that was posted on twitter that I assume was one of the better races of the night and it was 2 Lions riders passing Jason Garrity on a sick bike with them finally strung out with 30 meters between each rider, which is pretty much what it was like against Redcar for most of the night

Ended up going last night, but having being used to watching nail biting meetings at the EWR, this was a polar opposite, I dont think i've ever been so bored at a speedway meeting.. Most races was done and dusted by the back straight.. Wont be going back in a hurry

Guest WTF1
17 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

Ended up going last night, but having being used to watching nail biting meetings at the EWR, this was a polar opposite, I dont think i've ever been so bored at a speedway meeting.. Most races was done and dusted by the back straight.. Wont be going back in a hurry

So Scunny Dan like me you didn't go to the Ben Fund meeting then at Leicester,  that meeting nearly put me off speedway for life so there was no way I was going to this one,  in fact from now on I will only go to Scunthorpe home meetings. 

2 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

So Scunny Dan like me you didn't go to the Ben Fund meeting then at Leicester,  that meeting nearly put me off speedway for life so there was no way I was going to this one,  in fact from now on I will only go to Scunthorpe home meetings. 

Went to the Ben Fund too, and the lads I stand with wasn't impressed, but with it being a charity meeting, we didn't expect much... me and the lad I went with really had nothing better to do last night

......And the criticism of the track/racing goes on....(yawn).

This is the ninth season of the new LIons era and whilst the track is obviously the worst in the universe (designed by somebody no longer having an interest in the running of the club), at least there have been attempts to try and improve the circuit, within the obvious constraints. It appears quite often that riders (of a lesser ability) are taken in by the plethora of negative comments made on social media about the quality of the track. If they don't make the gate they can be excused for not making up ground because its a crap track. It has been proved, that top riders (and lesser but brave ones) can make passes on the track. Is it because of their ability or mindset though? Gating is the most fundamental part of a rider's skill set and the vast majority of races, even at every other wonderful UK track are won from the gate. Better riders refer to Leicester as a technical track.

Having witnessed the home meetings against Redcar and Scunthorpe, I have to admit that the huge winning margins were boring (although a bit of a novelty for us) but that was largely down to the opposition appearing not to be up for it and for some riders embarrassingly so. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

at least there have been attempts to try and improve the circuit, within the obvious constraints.

the attempts have been tinkering around the edges and have had little if any effect, the whole track needs shortening... a lot. And moaning about the track on here is almost as tedious as watching the "racing" at BP

Edited by iainb

20 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes you're right and as long as there is some good racing as well I agree.  Just hoping the opposition heat leaders put up more of a fight than they have lately. 

and then you will start moaning about your team and not the visiting one ........

13 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

......And the criticism of the track/racing goes on....(yawn).

This is the ninth season of the new LIons era and whilst the track is obviously the worst in the universe (designed by somebody no longer having an interest in the running of the club), at least there have been attempts to try and improve the circuit, within the obvious constraints. It appears quite often that riders (of a lesser ability) are taken in by the plethora of negative comments made on social media about the quality of the track. If they don't make the gate they can be excused for not making up ground because its a crap track. It has been proved, that top riders (and lesser but brave ones) can make passes on the track. Is it because of their ability or mindset though? Gating is the most fundamental part of a rider's skill set and the vast majority of races, even at every other wonderful UK track are won from the gate. Better riders refer to Leicester as a technical track.

Having witnessed the home meetings against Redcar and Scunthorpe, I have to admit that the huge winning margins were boring (although a bit of a novelty for us) but that was largely down to the opposition appearing not to be up for it and for some riders embarrassingly so. 

There was pasing but, unfortuately, it was generally lion overtaking the Scorpions and then the Lions just left the opposition standing. The track was ok and with a bit more effort from them the r4acing would have been better.

• Like 2