British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Diamonds vs Berwick Bandits CS

3 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Yes as a business if it means improving your team and getting fans through the gate. At Newcastle Stevie was rider of the year 3 times in succession so when he became available it was a no brainier to fit him in. Can you imagine if we had stuck with Victor and he was only scoring 5s n 6s at meetings and Stevie had signed for someone else ( which he would of done) and was knocking in maximums or double figures every meeting .. The fans would of had every right to have had a go at the management and rightly so 

Not to mention changes needed to be made anyway, because Nike retired... It was just unfortunate for Victor

9 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Well worth a team change or 2 to bring big Vic in 

I'm assuming you'd want him to replace Lambert. The only way you could do that would be to get rid of Clegg as well and bring in another 2 pointer (if you can find a decent one), or get rid of Steve ( if you want a lynching). 

We've had four meetings, the last two on tracks that have been as slick as a baby's bum, where gating has been key, especially at Berwick where each race was a 40 yard drag race to the first turn, race over. There is supposed to be a new starting procedure this season but it has only been used once in Newcastle meetings, and that was at home v Redcar. Whether this is the reason for our woeful gating I've no idea, but we need to sort it and sort it fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Oh right numbers dictate riders having a team place confirmed, spending shed loads getting bikes etc together then dropping them by text!! 

Like I stated before in my post it's numbers that dictate... You obviously don't have a clue what your talking about as unfortunately it's a social media society we live in know so was our promotion going to tell Victor when he came over after spending money on flights then.. so they saved him money in that sense did they not also I do you know how lunna told the promotion was by phone text or call mmmmmm not sure on that 1... But if you look at the scenario I don't detect any bitterness from George English. Martin Phillips and others towards lunna as that's what caused the re jig of the team..                     kind regards PPM

While I agree regarding Berwick, it’s appears from what your are saying that the Brough track is now just a drag race to the first bend too.Its the tracks that need sorting out IMO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, leander said:

I'm assuming you'd want him to replace Lambert. The only way you could do that would be to get rid of Clegg as well and bring in another 2 pointer (if you can find a decent one), or get rid of Steve ( if you want a lynching). 

We've had four meetings, the last two on tracks that have been as slick as a baby's bum, where gating has been key, especially at Berwick where each race was a 40 yard drag race to the first turn, race over. There is supposed to be a new starting procedure this season but it has only been used once in Newcastle meetings, and that was at home v Redcar. Whether this is the reason for our woeful gating I've no idea, but we need to sort it and sort it fast.

Yeah you views taking in.. the track is definitely still In winter mode at the moment but I still worry about Simon as his style doesn't seem to get the best of him at Newcastle buy away he could be a trump card especially if he drops to reserve,, max on the other hand will be a easy 5 plus pointer at home where ever he rides & as long as he doesn't put his Berwick head on when on the road we could carry Danny,, but it's early days & once our top end click well we could be in for a good season,,, great shout 4 the 4's if we qualify..

36 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Yeah you views taking in.. the track is definitely still In winter mode at the moment but I still worry about Simon as his style doesn't seem to get the best of him at Newcastle buy away he could be a trump card especially if he drops to reserve,, max on the other hand will be a easy 5 plus pointer at home where ever he rides & as long as he doesn't put his Berwick head on when on the road we could carry Danny,, but it's early days & once our top end click well we could be in for a good season,,, great shout 4 the 4's if we qualify..

Max has his “Berwick Head” on at most fast tracks.IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Max has his “Berwick Head” on at most fast tracks.IMO.

All tracks are fast if your sat on the bike...if he could score 2/3 away from home and 5/6 at home then his job is done .however if he does manage those scores he’ll be at no2/3 pretty fast .

1 hour ago, leander said:

There is supposed to be a new starting procedure this season but it has only been used once in Newcastle meetings, and that was at home v Redcar. Whether this is the reason for our woeful gating I've no idea, but we need to sort it and sort it fast.

Think I said this after the Redcar meeting and all the meetings I have been to so far this season the Starts have been scrappy Berwick Saturday wasn't to bad but McGregor wasn't fully applying the new rule. Someone needs to sort this quick Refs have done the same process for the last 30 plus years and they are adding to the problems either revert back to how it was or get the riders together before the meeting starts and tell them how they will apply this new rule... at least at the start of the meeting the riders will have some idea of what to expect... not that it would have helped Newcastle in either Rogering they received at the weekend but it is starting to boil my bladder now...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bigred said:

All tracks are fast if your sat on the bike...if he could score 2/3 away from home and 5/6 at home then his job is done .however if he does manage those scores he’ll be at no2/3 pretty fast .

Ok point taken,I will rephrase my thoughts,most bigger tracks,he doesn’t go as fast as the other riders.:t:

25 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Think I said this after the Redcar meeting and all the meetings I have been to so far this season the Starts have been scrappy Berwick Saturday wasn't to bad but McGregor wasn't fully applying the new rule. Someone needs to sort this quick Refs have done the same process for the last 30 plus years and they are adding to the problems either revert back to how it was or get the riders together before the meeting starts and tell them how they will apply this new rule... at least at the start of the meeting the riders will have some idea of what to expect... not that it would have helped Newcastle in either Rogering they received at the weekend but it is starting to boil my bladder now...

Regards 

THJ 

Back in its 'hay day', was speedway more relient on the perfect start, or better racing ?,,,, as now it seems most races are won leaving bend 2 lap 1 and not much racing nowadays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Back in its 'hay day', was speedway more relient on the perfect start, or better racing ?,,,, as now it seems most races are won leaving bend 2 lap 1 and not much racing nowadays...

Are we not in the "Hey Day" now? Or is it the "Swan Song"?

Starts can be so contentious and jumping starts causes quite a furore and to introduce a process that makes riders even more twitchy just doesn't work for me. I don't mind something being introduced if it helps but I just can't see the point... hope I am wrong and things settle down only time will tell I suppose..

Regards 

THJ 

20 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Are we not in the "Hey Day" now? Or is it the "Swan Song"?

Starts can be so contentious and jumping starts causes quite a furore and to introduce a process that makes riders even more twitchy just doesn't work for me. I don't mind something being introduced if it helps but I just can't see the point... hope I am wrong and things settle down only time will tell I suppose..

Regards 

THJ 

If the referee can see a rider jump/move before he presses the button,,,, why does he press the button ?

Could it be that a rider might be possible to react quicker than the ref has realised ? ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

39 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Back in its 'hay day', was speedway more relient on the perfect start, or better racing ?,,,, as now it seems most races are won leaving bend 2 lap 1 and not much racing nowadays.

Back in the hey day it was better racing as there was far more dirt on the tracks than now (unless it was Eastbourne!).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

If the referee can see a rider jump/move before he presses the button,,,, why does he press the button ?

Could it be that a rider might be possible to react quicker than the ref has realised ? ;)

It's all anticipation really rider and to a lesser extent the ref... but if everyone at the start is twitching and squirming around like a bag of worms it invariably ends up with a scrappy start

Regards 

THJ 

19 minutes ago, leander said:

Back in the hey day it was better racing as there was far more dirt on the tracks than now (unless it was Eastbourne!).

Yeah, but even dirt is expensive these days, you spend a fortune on stuff to get rid of it and people want it back, you just can't win (unless you gate) ;)