British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Diamonds vs Berwick Bandits CS

Seems from reports that the Bandits found the starting procedure at Newcastle perfectly adequate?

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It's all anticipation really rider and to a lesser extent the ref... but if everyone at the start is twitching and squirming around like a bag of worms it invariably ends up with a scrappy start

Regards 

THJ 

I see what you mean. but it's the same for all four riders, if your not ready to go when the tapes go, then sobeit. Touch the tapes, your out.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Max has his “Berwick Head” on at most fast tracks.IMO.

So he'll be ok at Eastbourne then & maybe Leicester & of course Edinburgh 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I see what you mean. but it's the same for all four riders, if your not ready to go when the tapes go, then sobeit. Touch the tapes, your out.

Correct totally agree... but if a new rule brought in to improve starts only proceeds to make things worse... Well?

No one disagrees that tape touchers or people jumping shouldn't be punished but rule changes should help shouldn't they? Or am I just being daft?

Regards 

THJ 

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

If the referee can see a rider jump/move before he presses the button,,,, why does he press the button ?

Could it be that a rider might be possible to react quicker than the ref has realised ? ;)

Surely there are two buttons/switches. One for the green light and one to raise the tapes? Once the green light is illuminated the riders are reviving the engines. With my very limited knowledge of bikes too much of a delay between the green light going on and the tapes being raised would burn out the clutch 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Surely there are two buttons/switches. One for the green light and one to raise the tapes? Once the green light is illuminated the riders are reviving the engines. With my very limited knowledge of bikes too much of a delay between the green light going on and the tapes being raised would burn out the clutch 

This rule they are introducing just brings it in line with the starting procedure already being used in Poland and GPS .It just a case of riders getting used to it IMO.Its meant to stop the green light/ go situation. Riders won’t be happy but it works elsewhere so what’s the problem.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

This rule they are introducing just brings it in line with the starting procedure already being used in Poland and GPS .It just a case of riders getting used to it IMO.Its meant to stop the green light/ go situation. Riders won’t be happy but it works elsewhere so what’s the problem.

You are right there isn't a problem per sey it's just the referees are not applying the new rule uniformly yet and the riders are struggling to get used to it... I just hope it settles down sooner rather than later as these twitchy starts get right on my thruppenny bits if you'll pardon my vernacular....

Regards 

THJ 

51 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You are right there isn't a problem per sey it's just the referees are not applying the new rule uniformly yet and the riders are struggling to get used to it... I just hope it settles down sooner rather than later as these twitchy starts get right on my thruppenny bits if you'll pardon my vernacular....

Regards 

THJ 

One thing I would like to see is the clock introduction with the 2 minute countdown.Riders over here do not obey the starting marshal a lot of times when he is trying to get them to come up to the tapes which keeps the other riders waiting.In Poland the riders watch the clock and move in the last5- 10 seconds and the start marshal really only has to nod to the Ref and walk away.Cutting out all the shuffling back and forward nonsense that we get here.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Uluru said:

Seems from reports that the Bandits found the starting procedure at Newcastle perfectly adequate?

It was the "old" starting procedure in both matches.  

The Diamonds have ridden in four matches so far and the "new" procedure has been used just once, at home to Redcar last week.  Having said that, two of the matches (away at Redcar and on Sunday at home to Berwick) have had the same referee in charge.

38 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It was the "old" starting procedure in both matches.  

The Diamonds have ridden in four matches so far and the "new" procedure has been used just once, at home to Redcar last week.  Having said that, two of the matches (away at Redcar and on Sunday at home to Berwick) have had the same referee in charge.

It’s pretty pathetic the the people in charge don’t seem to know the new rule.

• Like 2

much ado about nothing geez ..... starting marshall gets riders to tapes , green light on and tapes go ... race on

don't think its anything to do with starting process .... riders last few years have been getting worse each year and are constantly moving at gate

this year has started even worse .... and we have been the biggest offenders !!!!   - its at least 3 times per meeting our riders have had to stop themselves touching tapes and the ref has started the race leaving them floundering (quite rightly) .....  I wouldn't care but for all the movement we have done at the tapes we have woeful at gating - especially the 1st 4 races where in the 2 away meetings the match was over by heat 4  

But the biggest issue will be the crowds and the quality of racing thus far.  Brough is a technical track and as such you do see a lot of passing and close racing.    Whilst no one likes getting beaten, getting beaten whilst watching boring racing is another matter.  The 1st 2 home meetings have been amongst some of the dullest meetings Ive ever seen (redcar had the odd moment)   Apart from Jorgensen's superb pass on Wright,  we haven't looked likely passing anyone and apart from Jorgensen and Worrall Im not sure the others can pass at Brough.

Sunday night I was freezing, bored, deflated at seeing us getting a good whipping off our friendly neighbours and frankly heat 15 couldn't arrive quick enough. Well that's 2 trophies we have failed to win so far.  Still the league starts on Sunday where we are currently unbeaten......................  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

much ado about nothing geez ..... starting marshall gets riders to tapes , green light on and tapes go ... race on

don't think its anything to do with starting process .... riders last few years have been getting worse each year and are constantly moving at gate

this year has started even worse .... and we have been the biggest offenders !!!!   - its at least 3 times per meeting our riders have had to stop themselves touching tapes and the ref has started the race leaving them floundering (quite rightly) .....  I wouldn't care but for all the movement we have done at the tapes we have woeful at gating - especially the 1st 4 races where in the 2 away meetings the match was over by heat 4  

But the biggest issue will be the crowds and the quality of racing thus far.  Brough is a technical track and as such you do see a lot of passing and close racing.    Whilst no one likes getting beaten, getting beaten whilst watching boring racing is another matter.  The 1st 2 home meetings have been amongst some of the dullest meetings Ive ever seen (redcar had the odd moment)   Apart from Jorgensen's superb pass on Wright,  we haven't looked likely passing anyone and apart from Jorgensen and Worrall Im not sure the others can pass at Brough.

Sunday night I was freezing, bored, deflated at seeing us getting a good whipping off our friendly neighbours and frankly heat 15 couldn't arrive quick enough. Well that's 2 trophies we have failed to win so far.  Still the league starts on Sunday where we are currently unbeaten......................  

I thought these were Championship Shield matches at the week-end,was the Tyne/ Tweed trophy incorporated in them.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I thought these were Championship Shield matches at the week-end,was the Tyne/ Tweed trophy incorporated in them.

It said on the programmes for the meetings, that they were Championship Shield meetings.

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I think the insinuation is that we have zero chance of qualifying from the Shield group.

• Like 1