British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Diamonds vs Berwick Bandits CS

16 hours ago, Dandelion said:

What average would Ben Wilson be on?

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Who next Ben Hopwood? Don't get me wrong Phillips has had far more time at this level than many riders ever get and still shows no signs of making the step up but if a change is going to be made i would at least suggest a rider who could become a real asset but the ship has sailed on the majority like Jason Edwards etc. Luke Harris is a fair shout although also still a little too early. Would think the best opportunity is Jordan Jenkins as suggested and as a wild card i would say Danyon Hume would be a better option than Simon Lambert. However at present the diamonds issues are far bigger than who fills the number 7 jacket. 

Honestly

Ben Wilson at 33 and not rode since "who can remember when" will be on an average of about 4.50 pints a night if he has any sense sitting in his carpet slippers; dressing gown and smoking his pipe each evening filled with a good rough shag!!!! (isn't that right Bill)

Nothing will happen team wise I would suggest (unless possibly a bad injury or "Force Majeure" is inflicted on the team) until the 30th  of June when the following rule kicks in

18.6.4 A Championship declaration must not exceed 38.00 points in any declaration following the issue of established CMA’s for 2019, thereafter from 30th June must not exceed 40.00, except where the MA of the introduced rider is equal to, or lower than the rider being replaced.

Once the above date arrives it gives greater scope to amend the team and if current averages were the averages on that day then I would suggest the vulnerable rider (in this make believe scenario) would be Simon Lambert as I can not see young Phillips getting the chop (if he was to go it would have to be of his own volition and his own decision) So....

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS            
    Starting Ave   2.5% Red (if app)   Current Ave 2.5% Red (if app)
1 Steve Worrall                                       8.17    7.97   8.21 8.01
2 Thomas Jorgensen 7.66   7.66   7.59 7.59
3 Lasse Bjerre  7.08   7.08   7.01 7.01
4 Matthew Wethers  5.78   5.78   5.88 5.88
5 Simon Lambert 4.45   4.34   4.15 4.05
6 Max Clegg  3.25   3.17   3.11 3.03
7 Danny Phillips 2.00   2.00   2.00 2.00

Total: 38.39   38.00   37.95 37.57

So if the current rolling averages above of today 11/04/19 were actually those on the 30/06/2019 by dropping Lambert you would have 6.64 for a Brit and 6.48 for a foreign rider; so it is crazy to start talking about changing team members this early in the season as it just will not happen.

Furthermore; if say the two Danes and Steve W got their acts together each could add a near point each on their averages reducing the figures above available to replace a rider; by nearly 3 points so it is all speculation, Lambert could drop into reserve and start banging in double figure scores, Who Knows it is all speculation, The averages will change at the end of April; May and June and as stated who knows now what they will look like. All of the riders could loose a point off their average the way they are going and we could bring in Freddy Lindgren if he doesn't get a GP wild card and finally if my Aunt grew a pair she will become my Uncle

One thing is; it is all speculation; and the potential options and permutations open to the promotion could be endless; and it wont be an easy task for them and the numbers will ultimately dictate the options available. Like many often state on here nothing in Speedway is straight forward however these type of conundrums are the ones most like to ponder. You cant beat a bit of speculation and mine is Bradley Wilson Dean who would come in on a 6 point average (might as well pinch another rider Workington would have had) and poor old Simon Lambert to get the chop. If today was tomorrow that is; however; and hopefully Simon proves everyone wrong and ups his average by a point or three (as opposed to two). If we ended up with a 7 point difference by dropping someone as Sings4Speedway points out an asset would be good and that could bring in a potential new Dane "Who Knows"

So instead of talking about changes back the team to the hilt and hopefully they can pull things around themselves sooner rather than later; however as stated it is early days yet that's for sure

So another quite day at work (doh!!!) roll on Easter and all the clients have there budgets sorted for 2019 and start spending money and stop using Brexit as an excuse not to spend

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 1

Pretty much spot on except that Ben Wilson will be donning his finest tunic & sandals this year as a Plymouth Gladiator.

• Like 1

THJ,,, 6.64 for a Brit and, 6.48 for a foreign rider ???,,, Ludde is on 6.47, that would be a snug fit and, there was rumours on the terraces on Sunday ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Sings4Speedway said:

Pretty much spot on except that Ben Wilson will be donning his finest tunic & sandals this year as a Plymouth Gladiator.

Oh just shows what I know, Good Luck to him, hadn't heard his name for a long while and thought he had hung up his Kevlar's following a bad injury; wondered why it had popped up. Remember watching him at Redcar 2009/10 ish and he looked a great talent but he certainly fell off my radar that's for sure. 

Regards
THJ

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

THJ,,, 6.64 for a Brit and, 6.48 for a foreign rider ???,,, Ludde is on 6.47, that would be a snug fit and, there was rumours on the terraces on Sunday ;)

Don't think you will be seeing Ludde any time soon at Brough LOL and as I pointed out (very much tongue in cheek) its all speculation and if I could predict what riders averages will be at the "End of June" I think I would be putting my efforts into predicting the lottery results for next week rather than how many points the Diamonds might (or might not) have to spend on a new rider come July 1st

Regards
THJ

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Don't think you will be seeing Ludde any time soon at Brough LOL and as I pointed out (very much tongue in cheek) its all speculation and if I could predict what riders averages will be at the "End of June" I think I would be putting my efforts into predicting the lottery results for next week rather than how many points the Diamonds might (or might not) have to spend on a new rider come July 1st

Regards
THJ

I very much doubt we will have any "extra" points to play with by the end of June so will have to exchange (if we wish) like for like. Anybody who is under 40 is going to be bottom of the table by a long way

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leander said:

I very much doubt we will have any "extra" points to play with by the end of June so will have to exchange (if we wish) like for like. Anybody who is under 40 is going to be bottom of the table by a long way

If the lads don't start pulling tha fingers oot, we will be below 40 and might fall off the bottom of the list.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Rumors of what tho... Not a return until it gets dark & then I would have the moth back as that's when  ludde bangs in points ( but according to his mechanic well mmmm dogsbody he told us where to go !! ) Which I took with a pinch of salt lol

• Haha 1

Don't think the problem is to blame, or try to replace the lower order riders. The main fault is our top not scoring well in every meeting. None of them have been consistant with us, or their Premier clubs. It will obviously affect them, and they obviously don't enjoy scoring what they are scoring, but I don't think we can or need to replace them as I think they will get on top of their problems in the very near future. Could be we have also played and underrated both Redcar and Berwick, who both look like they could be in for better seasons than in the recent past.

Anyway, Sunday will show if we have improved and against another well fancied side in Sheffield. I think we will win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pienpeesman said:

Rumors of what tho... Not a return until it gets dark & then I would have the moth back as that's when  ludde bangs in points ( but according to his mechanic well mmmm dogsbody he told us where to go !! ) Which I took with a pinch of salt lol

His mechanic told you where to go ?,,, thats nice.

But, I agree with Dave,,, I think the lads need a little time to get into the swing of things. I think some are doing as well as expected, but one or two aren't.

Edited by ruffdiamond

What's the point until waiting until the end of June, the season will be well and truly over by then...

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

What's the point until waiting until the end of June, the season will be well and truly over by then...

Because if you change now you basically change like for like average wise in June you have 2 more points to play with so if everything stayed the same and no averages changed and Danny went you can have a 4 point replacement instead of a 2 point rider or if Simon went a 6 point replacement instead of a 4 point rider

So as Tsunami said you might as well give what you have a chance to pull themselves round before chopping and changing for changing sake...

Regards 

THJ 

But John,,, if the riders averages stayed the same, come the end of June, it would mean that they have under-performed. Riders averages are likely to improve as they are racing for more points. The averages work on being based on 42 points, so you average team, will score 42 points on average. So each team, on average, will have 4 points, (like free points), per match to absorb into their collective team average, so really, each riders average will increase by about 0.6. If a riders average does not increase, by say half a point, it would suggest that they are not performing to their previous average. So, come the end of June, if you have a spare 2 points to play with, you will be really struggling as a team. Although, it might be an idea to bring in a rider that has not ridden this season, on their false 'lower average', thats one without the 0.6 free increase.

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

But John,,, if the riders averages stayed the same, come the end of June, it would mean that they have under-performed. Riders averages are likely to improve as they are racing for more points. The averages work on being based on 42 points, so you average team, will score 42 points on average. So each team, on average, will have 4 points, (like free points), per match to absorb into their collective team average, so really, each riders average will increase by about 0.6. If a riders average does not increase, by say half a point, it would suggest that they are not performing to their previous average. So, come the end of June, if you have a spare 2 points to play with, you will be really struggling as a team. Although, it might be an idea to bring in a rider that has not ridden this season, on their false 'lower average', thats one without the 0.6 free increase.

Instead of 40 the real uplift should be to 42.

18 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Instead of 40 the real uplift should be to 42.

Ease it up gently Dave, ease it up gently ;)

• Haha 1