British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The H Man

Somerset v Birmingham CS 10/4

12 minutes ago, The H Man said:

Thomsen was a long way back in his firsttwo, bit closer in his third - was t/s in final ride

Rowe broke tapes in heat 2 but wasn't far off the pace thereafter.  Very impressed by Atkins.

Were you able to blag your way in ? If not paying must have been hard for you ;)

12 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

52-38 ? hardly the mauling the so called experts predicted ? If we're the weakest team in the league and Somerset are predicted to win it, then its going to be a close championship.

Gate 1 was the biggest advantage tonight and Somerset won the toss and had the lions share of that!

Well done Paco....yet again!

Great reserve switch by Bossman in heat 8 ! :t:

14 points isn’t a mauling but it isn’t close either.

Each team has both sets of gates seven times each between heats 1-14... 

13 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

14 points isn’t a mauling but it isn’t close either.

Each team has both sets of gates seven times each between heats 1-14... 

Agreed although to be fair its closer than several teams are likely to get. As for gates whilst its really disappointing that there was such bias towards gate 1 it can't be used as an excuse as only Rowe & Thomsen failed to score from gate 1 (or at all) with everyone else from each side registering wins or seconds. The Oaktree used to be a little more favoured to outside passing so i hope that returns but Rory isn't famed for liking lots of dirt.

• Like 1

First visit to Somerset since 2008 with Reading.

Forgot how cold it can get there and a 30 minute delay to start proceedings after a lady needed medical help didn't help, but these things can't be helped. and to be fair, that kept the meeting going well once started. 

Some good racing without it ever being really great though Chris Harris heat 15 was sublime.

Apart from Harris who will be a real force round the OTA, I was very impressed by Henry Atkins for the home side, very good potential that lad.  Kurtz and Covatti also did well whilst the new German lad will definitely be an asset. Rory S was good, but expected that from him on a well prepared track in clear weather (rain and bumops who knows)! As I mentioned earlier Rowe was on the pace and with Atkins looking good, hopefully he'll be given a long run to prove himself without too much pressure.

For  the Brummies, Ashley Morris and Zach W both performed well and good to see they are continuing to develop.  Ulrich showed some glimpses that he can still mix it with the top guys, Paco produced 2 good heat wins, so certainly doing his job at reserve. Shanes was competitive and brave.   Kyle Newman flattered to deceive in the tough number 5 jacket whilst Tobias Thomsen was off the pace apart from heat 8.  

Crowd wasn't great, about 500 at a guess.  Thought it might have been higher with nice day and kids off school. 

Not over impressed with the presentation, all a bit bland - don't do much to get crowd going or get kids involved.

Reasonably priced Chicken Nuggets though :-)

Enjoy evening overall. 

• Like 1

LOL...not sure why I made the comment about 'Gate 1' ? (being a dipstick...) just feeling sorry for the boys :)

They tried their best and that's all you can ask !

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The H Man said:

Not over impressed with the presentation, all a bit bland - don't do much to get crowd going or get kids involved

What you saying, they don't make them like they used to? :D

Disappointing gate according to my mates who ventured down, they guessed about 600, they are usually pretty accurate don't know how???, they guessed 600 at our opening meeting and usually spot on there; and they guessed about 1000 at Eastbourne on Saturday was 1100 I believe? , must ask then what's going to win the Scottish National on Saturday:o

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Were you able to blag your way in ? If not paying must have been hard for you ;)

Of course mate!   ;)

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

What you saying, they don't make them like they used to? :D

Absolutely  B)

• Like 1

Unfortunately just the sign of the times tbh. General speedway going downhill and crowds just not being that great at Somerset anyway. A lot of fans pick and choose now. Hasn't helped keeping to a Wednesday either as a lot of fans come from Poole, Plymouth, Swindon, Bristol etc can't really do that now midweek and work the next day. Plus as someone said the whole presentation is rubbish the last time I went I was bores in between races. 

7 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

They tried their best and that's all you can ask !

Absolutely, I made the trip down last night and to be honest I was really pleased driving back up the M5. I never thought we would keep them so close, especially with the top 3 they have.  Its gonna be tough everywhere we go but as long as they give it a go and keep the score respectable thats all we can ask. 

Ashley Morris rode so well last night, Zach again having a solid meeting to, thats a good pairing at 3 and 4. Ulrich was more on the pace, Castagna won two races again to prove the haters wrong and Shanes scored his average. Good night all round 

• Like 2