British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

EASTBOURNE v SOMERSET 13th April

7 hours ago, HGould said:

Read somewhere that our Brummies Paco (Castagna) is riding in Italian Championships this weekend, would Covatti be in them as although Argentine born doesn't he ride on an Italian License and therefore mandated to fulfil Italian commitments??? - would weaken Rebels unless they get a top Guest.? 

If rumours are to be believed, the first of many that he will be missing at a weekend.

19 hours ago, SomersetBlue said:

In all fairness it's Eastbourne trying to drum up interest for a big crowd as they have never faced us before they have put two articles up about the same thing Bomber Harris. But yes it's annoying to have to read on another website. Although I will say the meeting updates on social media have improved massively. 

Someone at Eastbourne Speedway properly understands marketing and selling the product. Tell 'em, tell 'em again and then tell em.

Drumming up interest for a big crowd --- surely that's what every promoter in the land should be doing? Sadly, they fail on that score nearly every time.

Bomber Harris is a big attraction -- bang the drum and let people know he's coming. He's a name people in speedway know.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Najjer said:

If rumours are to be believed, the first of many that he will be missing at a weekend.

Castagna, Covatti or both?

27 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Awkward when there are so many CL matches at weekends.

Any weather updates from the Eastbourne area would be appreciated as we were thinking of coming down from London later this afternoon but at the moment it is pouring with rain up here and its a long way to have to turn round and go home again if the meeting gets called off.

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

Any weather updates from the Eastbourne area would be appreciated as we were thinking of coming down from London later this afternoon but at the moment it is pouring with rain up here and its a long way to have to turn round and go home again if the meeting gets called off.

It's been sunshine & showers since midday. Forecast is dry from now. Can't believe there'll be any problems tonight. 

3 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

No idea about Castagna, but I’ve been told Covatti is due to miss quite a few weekend matches. 

18 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

I suffered 11 heats, it was mind numbingly processional

I was going to go - glad I didn’t !!!

43 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

I suffered 11 heats, it was mind numbingly processional

I agree, poor meeting tonight in freezing conditions. I was glad when it finished.

That was one of the most boring meetings I have ever seen.

First visit to Arlington in about five years.

Good to see a very decent crowd there though. Hope they come back! 

1 hour ago, speedybee said:

That was one of the most boring meetings I have ever seen.

First visit to Arlington in about five years.

Good to see a very decent crowd there though. Hope they come back! 

One of the most boring you’ve ever seen ? Or ever been to ?

I’ve seen plenty more boring than that on TV.

It wasn’t the most exciting but what can you expect when the opposition perform so poorly ?

For all the hype, Harris was woeful, saying “It’s a while since I’ve been here, I need get the set up and lines sorted”.....for goodness sake, he’s a professional, ex GP rider, it shouldn’t take more than one ride to sort that out ..... Schlein had no problem and he’s in the same situation experience wise. He seemed to try his heart out as usual to start with and then probably released he was a one man team so what the heck. 

I expect most of the crowd were disappointed with the challenge that Somerset put up, as I believe they are one of the “fancied” teams in the league.

7 hours ago, woofers said:

For all the hype, Harris was woeful, saying “It’s a while since I’ve been here, I need get the set up and lines sorted”.....for goodness sake, he’s a professional, ex GP rider, it shouldn’t take more than one ride to sort that out ..

Chris has made a great start at Ipswich this season rarely dropping a point, on a track "its a while since he's been there" and whilst I have no grudge to bare with Ipswich it is probably about the worst shaped track in the country for the rider like Chris, yet he immediately got "the set up and lines sorted"

As Rye House and Glasgow have been banging on about Mr Harris, he is not quite the rider his image have cleverly cultivated. Theres a reason why a 9/9.50 rider lands up with a 7/7.50 average every year. Good luck this season Somerset fans.

8 hours ago, woofers said:

One of the most boring you’ve ever seen ? Or ever been to ?

I’ve seen plenty more boring than that on TV.

It wasn’t the most exciting but what can you expect when the opposition perform so poorly ?

For all the hype, Harris was woeful, saying “It’s a while since I’ve been here, I need get the set up and lines sorted”.....for goodness sake, he’s a professional, ex GP rider, it shouldn’t take more than one ride to sort that out ..... Schlein had no problem and he’s in the same situation experience wise. He seemed to try his heart out as usual to start with and then probably released he was a one man team so what the heck. 

I expect most of the crowd were disappointed with the challenge that Somerset put up, as I believe they are one of the “fancied” teams in the league.

Exactly the reason I find Harris so frustrating and why it find it really confusing Somerset signing him, as he doesn’t fit the mould of rider we’ve traditionally signed. On his day and even at this stage of his career he can still be brilliant, but all too often there is always an excuse about poor bikes, getting the set up and just in general not at the races. A 5 point return in this league is shocking for a rider of his experience.

Somerset looked semi decent when Berge was in the line up but they will be all too flakey. Some weeks they will hit 60 at home and then others they will take an absolute battering just like last night. The current line up won’t be anywhere near the play offs though.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2