British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Kings Lynn. 11/4/2019 Shield 2nd leg

40 minutes ago, semion said:

Is he donating the proceeds to Charity or trousering it ?  I’m sure the guy has enough assets etc to see him enjoy a comfortable lifestyle, going forward.  Why not donate it to something like the Benfund to help guys who really need. The likes of Garry Stead, Joey Owen etc?  

So you are sure you know ‘the guys’ financial status, therefore judge he should donate all proceeds to charity rather than ‘trouser it’? 

Assume you will be doing the same with your pension. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

2nd halves mean the bars will stay open later!

bought two pints of draught cider on weds for daughter and her friend cost £9.20!! however the shock was a pint of draught coke for myself cost £4.40,so skids the bars could stay open all night but wont get another penny from me(know its not speedways fault)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hodgy said:

So you are sure you know ‘the guys’ financial status, therefore judge he should donate all proceeds to charity rather than ‘trouser it’? 

Assume you will be doing the same with your pension. 

Ken Middleditch Ltd looks to have a healthy balance, wouldn’t you agree ?

Do you mean my private pensions (which I’ve paid into) or my State pension ( that I’ve paid into) ?  Tell ya what i’ll Let you know if and when the time comes for me to ‘Benefit’ from them. 

Speedway has been good to Neil, unlike certain other people. Always good to put something back, would you not agree ?

13 hours ago, semion said:

I see Middlo is being granted a benefit meeting next year.  Is the guy really short of a few bob or is it just total greed on his part.?  I mean how much will he net out of it after paying 40% tax on it ?

I would expect it to be tax free as it is not 'customary' or contractual to give team managers a testimonial.

I also have some sympathy for Neil given the issues with his original testimonial.

But if we are going to have testimonials (other than for riders) then why not start having them for fans?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I would expect it to be tax free as it is not 'customary' or contractual to give team managers a testimonial.

I also have some sympathy for Neil given the issues with his original testimonial.

But if we are going to have testimonials (other than for riders) then why not start having them for fans?

If the fans don't think Middlo is deserving I guess they won't support it and he won't make any money. Has it only been granted because of the loss of revenue from the first one? 

17 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Do you think the will have a benefit meeting for Peter Adams @ Wolverhampton? 

that's up to wolves . any way good luck to neil  nobody has to support it do they 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

If the fans don't think Middlo is deserving I guess they won't support it and he won't make any money. Has it only been granted because of the loss of revenue from the first one? 

When Middlo had his previous money nicked by the Reg Fearman promotion, he left speedway altogether and didn't even visit as a fan until the likes of Joe Screen and Steve Johnston were staying with him at Baillie House and enticed him back.  Matt Ford took over later and asked Neil to become team manager and promised to hold a benefit meeting for him while he still owned the club.  Its not a 'testimonial' as such, its a 'benefit' meeting proposed by Matt Ford (first mentioned at the recent fan forum to unanimous applause) which I'm sure will be well supported by riders, fans and sponsors - and rightly so.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

I’m not really fussed either way about Middleditch but like Chris Harris and all the grief he got for his Go Fund Me idea it’s entirely up to people whether they get involved or not, nobody is forcing anybody nor should anyone be made to feel good or bad whatever they decide. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

If it was a longtime fan and then a long serving team manager should he have an extra chance of getting one ? :)

Not a big fan of Middlo....dont think he is a great manager to be fair and his comments on social media are plain daft at times

But you cant deny he is Poole through and through and dedicates himself

If Poole want to run a meeting for him thats up to them and so be it.

Dont think you will get fans of other clubs being bothered to come and see it though but thats there choice....will be a bit of a Poole love in.

Has the greatest manager in Peter Adams had a benefit meeting for all he has done for a variety of clubs? 

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim64121

Maybe not...

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

I will put in for my testimonial meeting now then, August 1949 and never missed a season ( or part of one  ) of The Stars since then. Man and boy ( and now dinosaur ) at Norwich and King's Lynn. Is there a form I need to fill in? Please let them decide quickly or the older of us who might be eligible may pass away.

have a feeling it will be very well supported not necessarily because everyone is a middlo fan but think it will be  a  high class field with some of our favourite riders returning for a one off spin,eg love to see magic again,even nikki p would be agreat draw! (hope they dont go silly and charge 20 quid or more,perhaps under 16s free!!) 

• Like 1