British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Poole Prem Mon April 15th

20 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Yes, think hard...
It is one of the better tracks but most of the rest are pretty bad.  It is not in Belle Vue's league but has the space for the increased width to allow it to become more like a B.V.

Are you (and the rest) actually saying Peterborough wouldn't benefit from increased width?  Very odd if so.

All tracks should be looking to see how they can be improved.

Neil has already confirmed that it doesn’t have the space to increase so complete nonsense. At least your bottom line is absolutely correct. The tracks are the stage and should always be a priority.

4 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

The track can’t be widened on the outside because of permanent obstructions outside the fence - such as the grandstand and hospitality areas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

The track can’t be widened on the outside because of permanent obstructions outside the fence - such as the grandstand and hospitality areas.

You can't make the bends wider because of the Grandstand?

In answer to the other post about width being width.  No that's completely not the case.

Adding width by moving the inside line is completely different to moving the fence out. 
The reason Belle Vue is so good is because the relative dimensions, ratios, etc, of inside line, fence line, width, bend radius, etc. is as close to perfect as we have is this country (and possibly the world).

Somebody else mentioned Stoke...  When Stoke is prepared properly the racing can easily match what I witnessed at Peterborough on Monday.

And yes I think the same should happen at Stoke, the circuit should be much wider - I reckon the NSS would easily fit within the confines of Loomer Rd.  Shame it will never happen.

The track is every promotions biggest asset. (or at least it should be, many of them are actually liabilities!)  Most promotions don't seem to realise this.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:18 PM, Stoke Potter said:

Yes, think hard...
It is one of the better tracks but most of the rest are pretty bad.  It is not in Belle Vue's league but has the space for the increased width to allow it to become more like a B.V.

Are you (and the rest) actually saying Peterborough wouldn't benefit from increased width?  Very odd if so.

Some said it was widened previously, was it done on the cheap by chopping away at the inside line?

In short, it's a good-ish track but it could be considerably better with relative ease.

All tracks should be looking to see how they can be improved.

9 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

In answer to the other post about width being width.  No that's completely not the case.

Adding width by moving the inside line is completely different to moving the fence out. 
The reason Belle Vue is so good is because the relative dimensions, ratios, etc, of inside line, fence line, width, bend radius, etc. is as close to perfect as we have is this country (and possibly the world).

Somebody else mentioned Stoke...  When Stoke is prepared properly the racing can easily match what I witnessed at Peterborough on Monday.

And yes I think the same should happen at Stoke, the circuit should be much wider - I reckon the NSS would easily fit within the confines of Loomer Rd.  Shame it will never happen.

The track is every promotions biggest asset. (or at least it should be, many of them are actually liabilities!)  Most promotions don't seem to realise this.

I was responding to your first post, where you referred to widening on the inside line ‘on the cheap’, by pointing out that there are various  permanent Showground fixtures that would have precluded widening the track on the outside - regardless of budget.

6 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

I was responding to your first post, where you referred to widening on the inside line ‘on the cheap’, by pointing out that there are various  permanent Showground fixtures that would have precluded widening the track on the outside - regardless of budget.

Thanks for the explanation, appreciated.  I am surprised that there those fixtures are as close as they're legally allowed, it didn't seem particularly close to me.

The exclusion/stop lights did seem rather close (and solid) to me though.

1 minute ago, Stoke Potter said:

Thanks for the explanation, appreciated.  I am surprised that there those fixtures are as close as they're legally allowed, it didn't seem particularly close to me.

The exclusion/stop lights did seem rather close (and solid) to me though.

They’re not particularly close, but would be if the fence was moved back. That’s exactly my point!

2 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I said that it changes the dynamic however it is done. Doing it by moving the inside worked perfectly well and improved a track that already provided tremendous action. Whether moving the fence out, if it could have been done, would have had the same effect is open to question. The thing that is missing is proper banking but that's never going to happen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

They’re not particularly close, but would be if the fence was moved back. That’s exactly my point!

So there's room to move the fence and still be within the rules then?  

How close is the fence now and how close is it allowed to be according to the rules?

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

How close is the fence now and how close is it allowed to be according to the rules?

I can’t answer that - each track homologation differs in its requirements. I suspect that the Showground authorities would be reluctant to have the fence moved in front of the grandstand (or at all) - speedway is only one user of the track and surrounding facilities.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

You are overlooking the fact that this track is located on a SHOWGROUND that is used (and was built for)  for many other activities with speedway really as a sideshow.   

As for “Rules”  re the fence our Landlords are most unlikely to be interested in those - we count ourselves fortunate to stilll be able to watch racing here anything else especially what you are suggesting is just a pipe dream.   

• Like 4

On 4/18/2019 at 10:45 PM, maneacat said:

You are overlooking the fact that this track is located on a SHOWGROUND that is used (and was built for)  for many other activities with speedway really as a sideshow.   

As for “Rules”  re the fence our Landlords are most unlikely to be interested in those - we count ourselves fortunate to stilll be able to watch racing here anything else especially what you are suggesting is just a pipe dream.   

I'm not overlooking anything.  I've observed that the track could be improved by adding width to the outside.  At which point, various "homers" (people who defend their home track just because it's their home track) appeared, basically stating it's perfect and cannot be improved.  It's far from perfect, when I've seen it on video/TV it's tended to be very fast gate and go and at least one other person on this thread as stated it can be like that.

You seem to say that the landlords see the Speedway as an annoyance, why is that?  (genuine question)

Basically the situation appears to be that, within the rules, Peterborough could probably be widened but the landlords are likely to be against it.

What you and various others need to realise is that if Speedway is to survive the product must improve.  The main key to improving it is to make the tracks the best they can be.

Most of them need to be bigger, wider and have significant improvement in track prep.

I’ve been to Peterborough umpteen times since my first visit in 1991 and would never describe it as gate and go. It wasn’t even before the widening in 2001. I’m sure all tracks would benefit from being wider but if you were doing a list of UK circuits in order of priority of the need to be widened then the EoES would be way, way down the list. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I'm not overlooking anything.  I've observed that the track could be improved by adding width to the outside.  At which point, various "homers" (people who defend their home track just because it's their home track) appeared, basically stating it's perfect and cannot be improved.  It's far from perfect, when I've seen it on video/TV it's tended to be very fast gate and go and at least one other person on this thread as stated it can be like that.

You seem to say that the landlords see the Speedway as an annoyance, why is that?  (genuine question)

Basically the situation appears to be that, within the rules, Peterborough could probably be widened but the landlords are likely to be against it.

What you and various others need to realise is that if Speedway is to survive the product must improve.  The main key to improving it is to make the tracks the best they can be.

Most of them need to be bigger, wider and have significant improvement in track prep.

I've always liked the racing at P/borough, evan the races that are gate and go can be close exciting speedway, we witness that fairly regular now at the NSS, so in a nutshell, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

How would making the track at Peterborough wider improve the racing? It’s plenty wide enough with multiple racing lines. Track prep is the key at the showground, not adding an extra metre or so....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

If you are going to quote me DO NOT insinuate that I have said something about it being perfect when I clearly have not said any such thing.   As a long time Panthers fan as opposed to you who refers to watching on video and TV what I will say to you is that I am certain my knowledge of the circumstances, set up and quality of the racing at the Eoes is far superior to yours, whereas I am as clueless about your club and track as you are ours and would not dream of trying to advise you as to how it could be improved.    Quite frankly I’m not interested in it and don’t give a toss!   I would suggest you concentrate your time and effort on Stoke Potters track and leave myself and the rest of the Peterborough fans on here to worry about ours as we see fit. 

As others have said in response to your last post  Peterborough is probably way down on the list of tracks in the UK which need widening or improving and it’s 99.9% certain our Landlords would never agree to it.   Who by the way is going to pick up the Tab for the cost of such work?   Not the SHOWGROUND who are happy with the site as it is!    We are now owned by Buster Chapman in case you hadn’t realised so that’s a definite no there as well in my opinion. 

Meanwhile back in the real world we have a meeting tomorrow against one of Buster’s other teams the Stars - will you be there?   You could have a word with him and put your suggestions across personally.    Good luck with that! 

• Like 4