British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Poole Prem Mon April 15th

I’m so looking forward to my 2nd favourite place to watch Speedway at later in the year.

Great track, and great racing usually.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I’m so looking forward to my 2nd favourite place to watch Speedway at later in the year.

Great track, and great racing usually.

Only bettered by everyone's number one The National Speedway Stadium

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I'm not overlooking anything.  I've observed that the track could be improved by adding width to the outside.  At which point, various "homers" (people who defend their home track just because it's their home track) appeared, basically stating it's perfect and cannot be improved.  It's far from perfect, when I've seen it on video/TV it's tended to be very fast gate and go and at least one other person on this thread as stated it can be like that.

You seem to say that the landlords see the Speedway as an annoyance, why is that?  (genuine question)

Basically the situation appears to be that, within the rules, Peterborough could probably be widened but the landlords are likely to be against it.

What you and various others need to realise is that if Speedway is to survive the product must improve.  The main key to improving it is to make the tracks the best they can be.

Most of them need to be bigger, wider and have significant improvement in track prep.

Class me as a " homer" if you wish, but I'm a Panthers fan (although it is by far from being my nearest track), largely due to the quality of racing on track, and the excellent viewing facilities. Although the riders enjoy the surface this season, it is probably too good with even grip on inside and outside, to allow for the renowned fence scraping bursts from the back. Widening it would do very little in my opinion to improve the product on show.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I'm not overlooking anything.  I've observed that the track could be improved by adding width to the outside.  At which point, various "homers" (people who defend their home track just because it's their home track) appeared, basically stating it's perfect and cannot be improved.  It's far from perfect, when I've seen it on video/TV it's tended to be very fast gate and go and at least one other person on this thread as stated it can be like that.

You seem to say that the landlords see the Speedway as an annoyance, why is that?  (genuine question)

Basically the situation appears to be that, within the rules, Peterborough could probably be widened but the landlords are likely to be against it.

What you and various others need to realise is that if Speedway is to survive the product must improve.  The main key to improving it is to make the tracks the best they can be.

Most of them need to be bigger, wider and have significant improvement in track prep.

I'll not even entertain the first paragraph because I don't want you to keep digging that hole, you might never get out.

As regards the EoES: for 30 years on a regular weekly basis we were the prime valued user of the site with only the annual agricultural show otherwise taking place that I can recall. A change of administration with different priorities in a shrinking showground being sold off for housing, the consequent reduction in access roads, the Arena springing up and much more use of the site gave the perception (and fixtures, health and safety issues would probably bear that out) that speedway is now an afterthought and source of regular, if not particulary significant income. Annoyance isn't the right word but they certainly wag the dog as no home fixtures from July 15 to Sept 2 indicate.

The product has been dummed down for years, that's why people talk about survival. The tracks were always fine but the rider quality has got worse. You can have your most perfect track in the world but if you're not putting out riders of sufficient quality to do it justice then the product will be poor. That's the key that we wasted over the Sky years which is why speedway is continuing down the Hahnenkamm.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 4

On 4/20/2019 at 9:24 PM, Stoke Potter said:

I'm not overlooking anything. 

Oh but you are! :rolleyes:

And despite the fact that several other Panthers fans have tried to set you straight, you're still banging on.  :nono:

It's not Panthers' stadium - so they can't just go changing anything to the infrastructure, especially under the current EoES management. 

Anyway, you'd find it hard to find many Panthers fans complaining about the configuration of the track.  The surface - yes (sometimes).   The riders - often!  Management - again often!  But the stadium, track configuration and facilities?  Nope.  And the vast majority of visiting fans seem to enjoy their visits to our place too.  

By the way, if, as I suspect, your fingers are poised over your keyboard to dash off a reply with something about how all speedway clubs need to look forward and try to make improvements blah blah blah;  maybe so, but that's a general speedway thing.  This is a Peterborough Panthers (v Poole) thread. 

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 2

Apart from belle Vue,,, I think fans of nearly all other clubs would like a track the same as the showground as their home track. Don't think I've ever seen a poor meeting there 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Apart from belle Vue,,, I think fans of nearly all other clubs would like a track the same as the showground as their home track. Don't think I've ever seen a poor meeting there 

Damn right 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, Crump99 said:

I'll not even entertain the first paragraph because I don't want you to keep digging that hole, you might never get out.

As regards the EoES: for 30 years on a regular weekly basis we were the prime valued user of the site with only the annual agricultural show otherwise taking place that I can recall. A change of administration with different priorities in a shrinking showground being sold off for housing, the consequent reduction in access roads, the Arena springing up and much more use of the site gave the perception (and fixtures, health and safety issues would probably bear that out) that speedway is now an afterthought and source of regular, if not particulary significant income. Annoyance isn't the right word but they certainly wag the dog as no home fixtures from July 15 to Sept 2 indicate.

The product has been dummed down for years, that's why people talk about survival. The tracks were always fine but the rider quality has got worse. You can have your most perfect track in the world but if you're not putting out riders of sufficient quality to do it justice then the product will be poor. That's the key that we wasted over the Sky years which is why speedway is continuing down the Hahnenkamm.

Thank you for the explanation regarding the landlords at the EOES, you appear to be the only one able to explain the changes over the years.  I was looking for an answer and nobody else would provide it.

However I completely disagree that all tracks were always fine, most of them have/had issues and produced generally poor racing.  I.e. little to no passing.  That is why the first out of the gate idea persists, because it is generally true.

I would agree that you need riders of a certain standard to do tracks justice and that has always been the case.

And in reply anyone who would want to silence my opinions because it is different to theirs, I will debate and pass judgement on various things Speedway related, including my opinion on tracks, and potential ways to improve them.  The whole point of this forum is for discussion and debate after all. 
However, If you want me to be thrown off the forum then I invite you to put a request to the moderators to get me banned...

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

And in reply anyone who would want to silence my opinions because it is different to theirs, I will debate and pass judgement on various things Speedway related, including my opinion on tracks, and potential ways to improve them.  The whole point of this forum is for discussion and debate after all. 

However, If you want me to be thrown off the forum then I invite you to put a request to the moderators to get me banned...

You're free to say whatever you want, wherever you want. I've never been very diplomatic when others have a go at, in my view anyway whether that be right or wrong, Peterborough Speedway so nobody should be surprised by any less than subtle reply. As regards getting you thrown off, I just stick people on ignore who get up my nose (you're nowhere near that at the moment) and wouldn't waste my time getting anyone banned when there is a mechanism that does the job for my purposes. I've upset our own supporters and management enough times so comparitively what you said is a widdle in the ocean.