British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

Colin 'Joe' Goody R.I.P

Colin Gooddy, better known as Joe (does anyone know why?), has died aged 84. His career began in the old Southern Area League in the 1950's for Eastbourne and Southern Rovers. He then rode for Oxford, Exeter, Ipswich, Poole and finally Crayford. R.I.P Joe.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Colin Gooddy, better known as Joe (does anyone know why?), has died aged 84. His career began in the old Southern Area League in the 1950's for Eastbourne and Southern Rovers. He then rode for Oxford, Exeter, Ipswich, Poole and finally Crayford. R.I.P Joe.

Very sad news indeed. A great servant and respected rider and someone I shall always remember with affection and fond memories.

Sad to think that my first year of following speedway at Cowley (1972) five of the original starting line-up are sadly no longer with us. Garry Middleton, Oyvind S. Berg, Ken McKinlay, Svein Kaasa and now 'Joe' Gooddy.

May he R.I.P.

Edited by steve roberts

I am extremely sorry to hear this- I recall Joe as one of the G-men(Genz, Gooch, Gooddy, Geran) in the all conquering Oxford team of 1964. He was a star for Exeter in 1965, saw him in the British Final at WH that year, in 1966 I saw him top score for Exeter at Wimbledon-a tough guy who always liked a beer or three-may have been a promoters nightmare!!  I don't know why he was called Joe-seemed to suit him. One of the Great Train  robbers was called Gooddy-anybody know if he was related to Colin. Anyway Joe RIP and thanks for the memories!! You will be missed.

• Like 1

Before I forget Colin was a great mate of Ken Vale-Ken was a totally different personality to Joe but they really got along. I recall Ken riding for L.E. in 1963 and he was well into his forties then-passed away at age 88, loved Workington Comets and they loved him back. So many wonderful personalities are part of the  speedway family

The guy was a legend. I remember him coming to Poole and must have been the only guy to be still wearing black leathers and riding a Jap mid seventies?

He certainly took a few major scalps on it though. I remember him first getting on a 4 valve and getting his first coloured leathers which was a bit hairy to start with as he was proper old school but a great rider that's given me a lot of fond memories. 

R.I.P Colin

• Like 1

That's right mate indeed I recall him  as you do, as "old school", from speedways greatest days.

Only saw Colin ride a few times at Oxford probably in 1969 or 70. My lasting memory is what a gater he was- some ragged starts amongst them !

Edited by racers and royals

I saw Colin ride occasionally at Wimbledon in the early 1970's, and a few times at Crayford at the end of his career.

34 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

The guy was a legend. I remember him coming to Poole and must have been the only guy to be still wearing black leathers and riding a Jap mid seventies?

He certainly took a few major scalps on it though. I remember him first getting on a 4 valve and getting his first coloured leathers which was a bit hairy to start with as he was proper old school but a great rider that's given me a lot of fond memories. 

R.I.P Colin

Malcolm Simmons held him in high esteem I remember reading.

19 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Only saw Colin ride a few times at Oxford probably in 1969 or 70. My lasting memory is what a gater he was- some ragged starts amongst them !

He and Pete Jarman would look out for each other as team mates at Cowley and if either was messed about on track by a rival then retribution would be delivered by one or the other.

Saw him a few times, but not really a rider that sticks in the memory for anything apart from his membership of ‘rider who’s name is often mis-spelt’ group

I first saw him back in early fifties riding second halves at Wembley

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:19 PM, BOBBATH said:

One of the Great Train  robbers was called Gooddy-anybody know if he was related to Colin. Anyway Joe RIP and thanks for the memories!! You will be missed.

I’m Joe’s niece - to the best of our knowledge the Great Train Robber was no relation!

On 4/14/2019 at 6:40 PM, Sotonian said:

The “Joe” comes from something his mum (my granny) used to say to him when he was a baby and she was playing with him. The “Joe” was an abbreviated form and just stuck!

I always have to do a double take when someone refers to “Colin”

Lovely to read some memories of him

• Like 3

Joe was one of those riders who always rode well at Cradley when in opposition, but when we signed him he (as luck would have it) had a tough year. Even then he always stood in the car park patiently signing autographs every Saturday night, which made him one of our favourites.

Was good to see him have a bit of an Indian Summer at Wimborne Road when he left Cradley. Really enjoyed the feature on him in a recent Backtrack issue.

RIP

• Like 1

Always recall looking at 'Joe's' bike strapped to the back of his car (no vans/mobile homes in those days) and it had so much tape on it holding it together. Of the old school and it was riders like Colin who were the soul of the sport...a great character.