British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Brummies v Rebels 17.04.19

Great meeting from a speedway spectacle. Obviously gutted that we lost, but not downhearted.

I saw a lot last night which gives me hope and excitement about our next 'home' meeting!?

The difference last night, was the same as when we rode Wolves in the challenge match ???

'We're 2nd best when it comes to getting out the gate' !?

Is Covatti that good, or did we make him look even better than he is? He looked a 'class' act last night and looked unbeatable in every department. I've never seen him ride so well?

Somerset will struggle against better teams as their reserves are 'good' prospects, but they're not good enough at this level just yet and I can't see that changing this season.

As for the Brummies? Our first replacement is a long way off  'imo'.....(Incidentally, I did spot Adam Ellis at the meeting last night? ):rolleyes:

Thomsen has been thrown in at the deep end....he showed that he has the ability with his gutsy/excellent 2nd ride when passing Summers on the line.

He'll benefit from dropping down to reserve and I'd stick with him for sure!

Shanes will do ok at home but struggle away....he's not quick enough from the start and he's not alone?  Morris and Newman will score most of their points from the back as they too are slow starters.

Up to Heat 9? the track was perfect and we always had a chance when we missed the start.....but after that, it became drastically slick and we couldn't get near the fast gating Rebels!

No fault of the track prep, just the lack of shale that 'unfortunately' is of short supply around the country apparently?

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

Oh still no additional shale? I though the plans were to add quit a lot more and make the track far grippier? Is the lack of available shale the issue or the cost of it?

25 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Oh still no additional shale? I though the plans were to add quit a lot more and make the track far grippier? Is the lack of available shale the issue or the cost of it?

Not sure???

But it'll make a massive difference if/when it arrives!?

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Thomsen has been thrown in at the deep end....he showed that he has the ability with his gutsy/excellent 2nd ride when passing Summers on the line.

He'll benefit from dropping down to reserve and I'd stick with him for sure!

Although only early doors, Thomsen is averaging below two points a meeting. Bearing in mind his average can’t drop below four regardless of how little he may score, he may well not prove to be worth persevering with. Particularly as the man he’ll likely replace in a reserve berth, Castagna, could be going straight into the number one racejacket when the averages change. 

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

Good win for Somerset which puts the pressure on Eastbourne to go there and get a result, which I expect them to manage relatively comfortably. Kurtz and Grobauer seem extremely flaky as expected whilst a half astute team manager could of won it for Birmingham by giving more rides to Castagna.

Grobauer deserved a hell of lot more than 3 last night tbf, suffered a mechanical failure whilst on a 5-1. Kurtz rode well and was decent, won his main race in heat 8 and two 4-2s with Schlein. The main problem was the reserves they have the quality but not the experience. Atkins showed some quality getting out the gates but let it drop every single time. Rowe was on the pace but just not enough knowledge to mount challenges. Still a good win and was a brilliant meeting to watch. 

10 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thomsen is the only one costing them points at present and has to be in the firing line soon you feel? 

I dont think so at all, its still early days for a change and tbh hes had good races in both home matches. Last night we needed more from him but he had a great race with Summers and beat him plus he had a decent meeting against Wolves two weeks ago. So he deserves more of a chance before the axe is wielded but even then im not sure they would anyway.

Bearing in mind that the Brummies are probably a little 'rusty' still (that was only our 2nd home meeting) I'm not too concerned atm. Lots of positives against one of the more fancied teams and only lost on a final heat decider, lets give the boys a chance. The 'guest' situation isn't ideal unless you have a squad system covering every position, but how many riders would realistically sign up for that in the hope of getting a ride once in a blue moon? R/R is Ok until you get another rider injured, then a 5 man team against 7 looks really unprofessional. 

But, all in all, a good meeting with passing and action in nearly all races on a decent track. Nice to see a good away following too! More of the same next week!