British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Tai Woffinden at his majestic best Sunday April 14th

The discussion has been done to death, but as you say there are national qualification meetings. Denmark host their meeting in a few days at Outrup. Just the British have done away with them. It was their decision, not the FIM and it is a decision probably more to do with hardly anyone wanting to host a Conference Standard quali and all the other meetings on the way....they just lost money the same as test meetings. If promoters thought there was a demand they would host such meetings I would guess

And big news is that Nicki P has decided not to enter the Danish quali for the GP’s

Edited by iris123

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The discussion has been done to death, but as you say there are national qualification meetings. Denmark host their meeting in a few days at Outrup. Just the British have done away with them. It was their decision, not the FIM and it is a decision probably more to do with hardly anyone wanting to host a Conference Standard quali and all the other meetings on the way....they just lost money the same as test meetings. If promoters thought there was a demand they would host such meetings I would guess

And big news is that Nicki P has decided not to enter the Danish quali for the GP’s

I would agree as has the analysis of Tai Woffinden and "who's best" and comparing eras etc etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chunky said:

Really? I read on here that he wouldn't have been good enough to even get in the 1972 Belle Vue team...

Steve

The Aces of 1972 had a good spread of talent across the team who performed in depth v other sides in that year. However, at that time only Mauger was world class and if it was today he would be the only rider from that team who would be in the GP's (Note:he was the only "Ace" who made it past the British final with PC (the only other Ace there) finishing 14th on 3 pts, . Woffinden (given all things being equal) would have easily made the Aces team as like it or not, he is (and would have been then) worlds class.

21 hours ago, 1 valve said:

The Aces of 1972 had a good spread of talent across the team who performed in depth v other sides in that year. However, at that time only Mauger was world class and if it was today he would be the only rider from that team who would be in the GP's (Note:he was the only "Ace" who made it past the British final with PC (the only other Ace there) finishing 14th on 3 pts, . Woffinden (given all things being equal) would have easily made the Aces team as like it or not, he is (and would have been then) worlds class.

My first year of speedway and Belle Vue visiting Oxford was a highlight that I shall never forget...especially when Garry Middleton had an off-track argument with the character 'Soldier Boy' who was there supporting Aces' guest Ray Wilson!

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, mikebv said:

You have been obviously too convincing....:)

Meaning some must agree....:D

I think in old money it's a whoosh

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, 1 valve said:

Still can't see woffy making the team

52 minutes ago, orion said:

Still can't see woffy making the team

Perhaps you should take those dark glasses off, they restricting your vision.

i not a woffy fan, but I do reckon he would have loved Hyde Road track and been as good as anyone there.

34 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Perhaps you should take those dark glasses off, they restricting your vision.

i not a woffy fan, but I do reckon he would have loved Hyde Road track and been as good as anyone there.

You are spot on especially as the  NSS is based on the old Hyde Road track and to prove the point, the last time Woffy rode there he made quite a good fist of it v some pretty good competition in the speedway of nations with enough time in hand to help out his younger team mate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

You are spot on especially as the  NSS is based on the old Hyde Road track and to prove the point, the last time Woffy rode there he made quite a good fist of it v some pretty good competition in the speedway of nations with enough time in hand to help out his younger team mate.  

Nonsense, were you there in 1976 or not? Russ Hodgson, world class. Legend. Wow, Chris Turner, Praestbro, world beaters, levels, different, skill, no tuning, inside outside, I was there, were you, I'll spark you. Woffinden, talented, yes, great, maybe, better than Hindle, no chance, 75 I saw it, did you? Wow, Tyrer, would he beat him, doubt it, maybe, Rob Maxfield genius. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Nonsense, were you there in 1976 or not? Russ Hodgson, world class. Legend. Wow, Chris Turner, Praestbro, world beaters, levels, different, skill, no tuning, inside outside, I was there, were you, I'll spark you. Woffinden, talented, yes, great, maybe, better than Hindle, no chance, 75 I saw it, did you? Wow, Tyrer, would he beat him, doubt it, maybe, Rob Maxfield genius. 

Must be the biggest wind up of the year so far.

and yes I was there in the 70's, almost every week - yep, speedway every week!

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

How can you  talk  about the NSS and Hyde Road at  the same time ? ...all tracks were better in the old days  as you needed much more skill .Lets  be honest the NSS has not even got a Fun fair .

8 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Must be the biggest wind up of the year so far.

and yes I was there in the 70's, almost every week - yep, speedway every week!

I think this thread should just be retitled "Whoosh"...

Amazing how so many have such short memories!  Sorry, but that is directed at you. OveFundinFan...

Steve

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, orion said:

How can you  talk  about the NSS and Hyde Road at  the same time ? ...all tracks were better in the old days  as you needed much more skill .Lets  be honest the NSS has not even got a Fun fair .

:cry: :cry: :cry:

41 minutes ago, chunky said:

I think this thread should just be retitled "Whoosh"...

Amazing how so many have such short memories!  Sorry, but that is directed at you. OveFundinFan...

Steve

Thats gone above me..... explain