British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ouch

Belle Vue Colts v Stoke Potters NL 19/04/19

National league kicks off with a local derby and the return of Tom Perry. I think he’ll prove a thorn in the side but the rest could struggle to dent a strong looking Colts side. Looking forward to seeing how the youngest cope, especially Jordan Palin as he likes the NSS and should score heavy from reserve. Hoping it’ll be an entertaining meeting in front of a good crowd with plenty of Aces fans wanting to see the new Colts team and a healthy following from nearby Stoke. 

Colts 54-36

Looking forward to the Colts first NL match... especially the debut of Jordan Palin after his IOW performance on Tuesday

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Looking forward to the Colts first NL match... especially the debut of Jordan Palin after his IOW performance on Tuesday

should be a fairly even match at the top end but think the colts are a good bit stronger at reserve so should have a bit of an advantage. weather looks good so hope for a good match. up the potters.

It was interesting reading the SS about the GTR being not up to standard when used on bigger tracks & when you get the warmer weather as it suffers o drop in BHP. Jordan Palin uses one & after looking back on the updates in Youth series, Jordan was in the 250cc category at Scunthorpe then in the 500cc category later at Belle Vue. Being a bigger track & also the IOW, Jordan has got a set up that works for him. Hope he does well this afternoon.

Delighted with the team performance...

excellent debut from Jordan Palin... 11 paid 15 in his first NL match..... augurs well for the future

Superb performance from Leon Flint

Best display I have sent from Danny Phillips at the NSS

Ben Rathbone rode well as did the other Ben ( Woodhull )

Kyle rode really well losing out in heat 13 for a maximum

Was pretty dull tbh, handful of decent races.

It's a talented team this colts one, reminds me a bit of the season before last. When it's like that and you come up against weaker teams it's not always a great spectacle 

I'll be watching them with interest at Kent on monday. Hopefully they can give the Kings a tough match.

Lovely weather,  a well prepared track with no dust, a good crowd and a few decent races but not as many as we often see at the NSS. 

However,  for me the real enjoyment at this level is watching the young riders develop.  All of the Colts did well today. Flint looks a real talent, as does Palin. Bickley seemed more aggressive and he and Woodhull showed that they are continuing to make good progress. Rathbone was a real surprise, doing much better than I expected and showing that he is more than ready to race at this level.  As has been said, Phillips probably produced his best performance at the NSS. We need to see how they perform away and at home against stronger opposition but the early signs are that this team is going to be enjoyable to watch and will do well.

For Stoke, Perry battled hard and Joe Alcock looks like one to watch for the future. 

I thought this was a splendid meeting for a number of reasons.

First of all, there was a very healthy attendance - certainly one of the biggest I have seen for a Colts match - and it was brilliant to see so many youngsters there. That's certainly influenced by the low entry fees for adults and letting children in for free, so credit there.

The racing was decent enough, and its always encouraging to see some of the youngest riders put in excellent performances - Flint and Palin especially this afternoon. I have never seen Perry or Coles give up in a race and they didn't today, so it was more competitive than the score suggests.

Hayley, Neil & Chase are the best presentation team in British Speedway and with games and free chocolate for the children, interviews with the riders and Chase's usual antics they proved it again today. There was also the most welcome sight of Adrian Smith working the crowd - something I very much approve of.

Finally, on a very hot day with a breeze 10 out of 10 for trackman Andy Meredith. There was absolutely no dust at all, no blue line and you could clearly race on the surface. 

Major effort to attract fans, decent racing with young riders, superb presentation and interaction and an excellent track. They are four factors which, if copied, might just turn the sport around.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

As normal a fair and unbiased view from HT.  Would a agree that it was a very satisfying meeting and the Colts will do well this year.  

With 3 of the hottest young prospects in Bickley, Flint & Palin all in the same team it’s going to be an exciting season at the NSS. I can see many more teams getting hit for 60+.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coldace said:

As normal a fair and unbiased view from HT.  Would a agree that it was a very satisfying meeting and the Colts will do well this year.  

I think yesterday Belle Vue hit the sort of family atmosphere that Isle of Wight have become so renowned for (and most justifiably so) where the entire focus is about customer experience. 

That's a massive step in the right direction. 

You can't please everyone all of the time, but you can have a damn good try. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Lovely weather,  a well prepared track with no dust, a good crowd and a few decent races but not as many as we often see at the NSS. 

However,  for me the real enjoyment at this level is watching the young riders develop.  All of the Colts did well today. Flint looks a real talent, as does Palin. Bickley seemed more aggressive and he and Woodhull showed that they are continuing to make good progress. Rathbone was a real surprise, doing much better than I expected and showing that he is more than ready to race at this level.  As has been said, Phillips probably produced his best performance at the NSS. We need to see how they perform away and at home against stronger opposition but the early signs are that this team is going to be enjoyable to watch and will do well.

For Stoke, Perry battled hard and Joe Alcock looks like one to watch for the future. 

was not at the meeting so can only go on what I have read. thought the potters would make more of a match of it than this. tom would surely have hit double figures but for an  exclusion and ef and yes I also think young joe alcock can be a bit special. early days yet so not ringing the alarm bells so onwards and upwards for the potters. well done the colts.

Luke C had a stinker of a meeting. He’s found it tough this year but I hope he manages to turn it round. 

Yes he really was poor.  Wonder how long he will be with Glasgow?  Young Joe Alcock looked very promising though. Ben Rathbone surprised me most, looked neat and in control.  Looking forward to following the Colts this year.