British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Eastbourne v Birmingham Brummies - KOC Rd 1 Leg 1 - Friday 19th April 3.00pm

Who do we fancy today??

Brummies had a feel for the track and that could be vital as most sides will only visit once!

Can we do better than last time?

I think we need 36 points to make Home Leg in a few weeks very interesting.

Just setting off and very hopeful Brummies will keep it very competitive

50 - 40.....

Have a safe journey HGould. 

Looking forward to this afternoon -- this tie looks nicely balanced.

Paco Castagna could be the key for you – for us the form of Georgie Wood.

It's a perfect day in Sussex by the way HGould. No weather worries at all.

The way Lawson went against Belle Vue last night I can only see another Maximum.

With Bowtell's engine problems resolved last week and Wood regaining some of his Mojo I could be persuaded to forecast a bit of an increase on last time.

55-35

Agree with the weather it will be soak up the sun today.

Eastie have come on in leaps and bounds since the first encounter , think it'll be a big win again, perhaps hit the 60 mark once more,  if not somewhere near that. As long as Lawson arrives, otherwise still be a win but a far narrower one. 

Edited by gazzac

in the shield meeting , bowtell , wood & morley only got 7 between them . i don't think the brummies will hold them close in the first half of the meeting like last time so by heat 13 the eagles will be out of sight . 20 +  home win . that should inspire the brummies because my predictions are chronic    :blush:  

Edited by gee jay

2 hours ago, gee jay said:

in the shield meeting , bowtell , wood & morley only got 7 between them . i don't think the brummies will hold them close in the first half of the meeting like last time so by heat 13 the eagles will be out of sight . 20 +  home win . that should inspire the brummies because my predictions are chronic    :blush:  

15 today, Wood on 9+1 from 4..

3 hours ago, gazzac said:

Eastie have come on in leaps and bounds since the first encounter , think it'll be a big win again, perhaps hit the 60 mark once more,  if not somewhere near that. As long as Lawson arrives, otherwise still be a win but a far narrower one. 

Didn't think my guess was anywhere near up to heat 9, but the big guns did the business again with the back up of Wood. If we can get the other 3 firing especially Morley and Bowtell , Tom was a bit unlucky today, we will be a playoff potential team as thought by Eastie fans at least. Just be interesting to see how we fair in the next few weeks with the away matches, probably lose them but if we can keep the losses to under 10, just shows how hard it'll be to beat Eastie on an aggregate basis in any competition.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Nice to win, but not an especially enjoyable afternoon.

These afternoon meetings just don’t work........on a sunny day like today viewing, and probably riding, was marred by the dust. The track staff did their best but it was a losing battle, the dust won comfortably. All this talk of nostalgic, “traditional” Sunday afternoon speedway is way off the mark for today’s audience. There was a good crowd, but the conditions may deter any first timers from returning.

Why the hell couldn’t it be run as an evening meeting - we could have enjoyed the sunshine all day and then the speedway in the evening.

And after an impressive, professional start to the opening two meetings, today’s was late starting and it didn’t look as if any of the officials or riders were bothered. I hope this isn’t a slide back to the way things used to be done.

Next up is a Sunday afternoon meeting, I hope it’s a bright but cool day, then there should be half a chance of a decent track being offered.

Roll on Saturday evening racing !

• Confused 1

Think the late start was probably due to Richard Lawson not arriving until after 3.00, but agree with you ref the afternoon meetings on a hot day, will  never get enough water into the track no matter how hard the track staff try. 

It was dusty today and the breeze didn't help. Hopefully the next meeting will be switched to an evening start to help with the track preparation.

woofers,

A supporter for  many years, I hate these afternoon meetings. Many a dustbowl I have experienced over recent years... usually as the season opening meeting on a bank holiday.  Attracts a one off large holiday crowd , but how many of the dusty new attendees come back for more ?    I expect a similar problem at Kent on Bank Hoilday Monday given the forecast.

Never seen any English track cope with the dust problem.

Speedway in the UK is a sport to be run under floodlights.

As for the tardy start of the meeting and lax presentation , this is something that is endemic in British Speedway. 

The " promoters" obviously know best, as is reflected in the healthy state of the sport in England.

• Like 1

Like you say, dusty afternoon meetings are nothing new. Some of my earliest speedway memories as a kid, were watching dust bowls at West Ham and Rayleigh.

4 hours ago, woofers said:

Nice to win, but not an especially enjoyable afternoon.

These afternoon meetings just don’t work........on a sunny day like today viewing, and probably riding, was marred by the dust. The track staff did their best but it was a losing battle, the dust won comfortably. All this talk of nostalgic, “traditional” Sunday afternoon speedway is way off the mark for today’s audience. There was a good crowd, but the conditions may deter any first timers from returning.

Why the hell couldn’t it be run as an evening meeting - we could have enjoyed the sunshine all day and then the speedway in the evening.

And after an impressive, professional start to the opening two meetings, today’s was late starting and it didn’t look as if any of the officials or riders were bothered. I hope this isn’t a slide back to the way things used to be done.

Next up is a Sunday afternoon meeting, I hope it’s a bright but cool day, then there should be half a chance of a decent track being offered.

Roll on Saturday evening racing !

Drove long way..., we got stuffed, a bit of dust and you moan???

Biggest crowd I have seen at Eastie I think, I sat in Grandstand, fans were really buzzing. Got talking to a chap next to me, first time he'd been in 3 years he told me and he was loving it. 

I was delayed on M40 and M25, got there 10 to 3 big queue, chap came out in a yellow top and apologised for queue and said they were delaying start by 10 mins, parade started at 10 past 3, first race at 3.15, hardly massive hold up. Some strange referreing didn't help. Thought the announcer was super, isn't he Speedway GP guy?? 

Heat 13 - despite the cone incident was worth admission alone?

Alright saying run at night, who would go top speedway if they have been on beach or in the sun supping all day.

Some folk don't deserve a speedway team with moaning attitude like that.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

woofers,

A supporter for  many years, I hate these afternoon meetings. Many a dustbowl I have experienced over recent years... usually as the season opening meeting on a bank holiday.  Attracts a one off large holiday crowd , but how many of the dusty new attendees come back for more ?    I expect a similar problem at Kent on Bank Hoilday Monday given the forecast.

Never seen any English track cope with the dust problem.

Speedway in the UK is a sport to be run under floodlights.

As for the tardy start of the meeting and lax presentation , this is something that is endemic in British Speedway. 

The " promoters" obviously know best, as is reflected in the healthy state of the sport in England.

10 mins late with queues arriving late due to traffic is hardly a tardy start, what are Promoters to do, start with fans clearly waiting to get in, mind you not many know what a queue is. Anyone driving down 25 / 23 today will know how grid-locked it was. 

8 hours ago, gazzac said:

hink the late start was probably due to Richard Lawson not arriving until after 3.00, but agree with you ref the afternoon meetings on a hot day, will  never get enough water into the track no matter how hard the track staff try. 

Nonsense.

Belle Vue started at 1pm yesterday and Scunthorpe at 5.30. At both (especially Belle Vue) it was very hot and breezy. 

There was no dust at Belle Vue and very little at Scunthorpe. Neither track had a blue line and the racing at the NSS was decent, at EWR very good. I am not aware that Andy Meredith or Rob Godfrey have a magic wand, so if they can produce good racing strips for riders and customers alike so can anyone else.

I should point out that the crowd at Belle Vue was the biggest I have ever seen for a Colts meeting and at Scunthorpe it was at least double that of last Sunday (word was they ran out of programmes). Bank Holiday afternoon meetings work extremely well if you can be bothered to put the time and trouble in to make sure that the track is up to scratch. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1