British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Eastbourne v Birmingham Brummies - KOC Rd 1 Leg 1 - Friday 19th April 3.00pm

Seems that speedway 2019 is no different from speedway 2018 in respect of timekeeping.  Even the home riders cannot get to the track on time, let alone the spectators! 

There are enough reasons (excuses) for delaying hte meeting once it has strated without delaying the start because of late arriving spectators and riders. 

I always thought the referee was in charge of the meeting , not he home promoter.  Shouldn't the 2 minute warning have been sounded at 15:00 hours for all 4 riders for heat 1 ?

Still a mickey mouse sport  ... although the promotion at Eastbourne do seem to be trying.

Maybe the Speedway Star should publish the ACTUAL start and finish times of each meeting and run a  " league table " of tracks who manage to complete their  15 minutes of racing in  90 minutes  (thats 5 minutes per heat and a 15 minute interval after heat 10 to  buy a cuppa. )

• Like 1

And how will the Speedway Star publish start/finish times? They sacked all their track reporters at the end of the 2018 season to save money. That's why there are no heat times in the Star's heat details. 

Such information is hardly likely to engage their readers...just a few odds and Bobs.

53 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Seems that speedway 2019 is no different from speedway 2018 in respect of timekeeping.  Even the home riders cannot get to the track on time, let alone the spectators! 

There are enough reasons (excuses) for delaying hte meeting once it has strated without delaying the start because of late arriving spectators and riders. 

I always thought the referee was in charge of the meeting , not he home promoter.  Shouldn't the 2 minute warning have been sounded at 15:00 hours for all 4 riders for heat 1 ?

Still a mickey mouse sport  ... although the promotion at Eastbourne do seem to be trying.

Maybe the Speedway Star should publish the ACTUAL start and finish times of each meeting and run a  " league table " of tracks who manage to complete their  15 minutes of racing in  90 minutes  (thats 5 minutes per heat and a 15 minute interval after heat 10 to  buy a cuppa. )

Having taken nearly 7 hours to get my home in Worcestershire to Eastbourne on Friday and arriving at 2.45 as a result, glad they did delay to let me and about 100 other people in a queue in at 10 to 3 and that with all their turnstiles open. I blame the M25 / M23 lack of infrastructure investment, awful British roads, crazy London drivers, the hot weather, 101 other things before i blame Eastbourne or any other speedway team, the doom mongers really do want out great sport to die don't they. I rejoice at big crowds and queues at speedway brilliant i say. Been to Kent today, not  a great crowd but very decent for NL and another Club trying their best to promote speedway racing. Well done Kent and well done Eastbourne I say 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Old Bob..

I remember you well from your views on the Lakeside Hammers forum, your negativity about the sport and Jon Cook in particular was renowned. Im glad to see you bring that to Eastbourne threads on this site now, please keep posting though, all views are valid..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

And how will the Speedway Star publish start/finish times? They sacked all their track reporters at the end of the 2018 season to save money. That's why there are no heat times in the Star's heat details. 

Such information is hardly likely to engage their readers...just a few odds and Bobs.

Totally agree. The star is meant to be the reference record of the sport. I wouldn't entertain it, even if it was free. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

M.D you have a good memory.  In the past several seasons I used to be a regular attendee at Arena Essex / Lakeside up until 2 seasons ago, when my attendance become less frequent due to the 

(a) erratic fixture list

(b) lax presentation and never ending delays providing poor entertainment 

I have yet to have my interest rekindled at either Kent or Eastbourne, the only surviving clubs in the SE region.

Only concern for me if i was an Eastbourne fan would be Lawson's time keeping, late to P&P, late to this meeting, there must be a growing feeling that he is going to miss a home meeting somewhere by not allowing enough travel time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Only concern for me if i was an Eastbourne fan would be Lawson's time keeping, late to P&P, late to this meeting, there must be a growing feeling that he is going to miss a home meeting somewhere by not allowing enough travel time.

Very similar to Terry Betts in years gone by. Although there was a lot less traffic back then.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Or to dry his hair maybe :)

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gazzac said:

Or to dry his hair maybe :)

I always thought it was dried out the van window anyway.......

Along as he keeps banging in the maximums, who cares if he arrives fashionably late? :)

Richard does have a bit of a reputation for being, shall we say, tardy with timekeeping. Even admitted it himself in the Eagles v Brummies programme.

But, as you say, bang in the maximums and ride in that dashing exiting style and all is well as far as I am concerned...as long as he is ready to race the meeting starts.

Traffic was (always is horrendous) on Good Friday, especially when the sun shines.

3 hours ago, mmmmethanol said:

Along as he keeps banging in the maximums, who cares if he arrives fashionably late? :)

I do.

He's a professional sportsman. No other sport would hold up proceedings if one participant was late, why should speedway?

I can't see football delaying the kick off because Messi or Bale or Kane was 'held up in traffic', F1 wouldn't wait for Hamilton, Moto GP wouldn't wait for Marquez. 

In golf you are disqualified and can't compete if you are late on the tee.

He needs to get his act together and the management should tell him.

Edited by woofers
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, woofers said:

I do.

He's a professional sportsman. No other sport would hold up proceedings if one participant was late, why should speedway?

I can't see football delaying the kick off because Messi or Bale or Kane was 'held up in traffic', F1 wouldn't wait for Hamilton, Moto GP wouldn't wait for Marquez. 

Dust.......Timekeeping..........with all due respect, both you & Old Bob no longer seem to be enjoying Speedway. Time for another sport?

3 hours ago, woofers said:

I do.

There are numerous occasions when football matches have been delayed if the visiting team is stuck in traffic

• Like 1