British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Eastbourne v Birmingham Brummies - KOC Rd 1 Leg 1 - Friday 19th April 3.00pm

4 hours ago, woofers said:

I do.

He's a professional sportsman. No other sport would hold up proceedings if one participant was late, why should speedway?

I can't see football delaying the kick off because Messi or Bale or Kane was 'held up in traffic', F1 wouldn't wait for Hamilton, Moto GP wouldn't wait for Marquez. 

In golf you are disqualified and can't compete if you are late on the tee.

He needs to get his act together and the management should tell him.

it wasn't just held up for lawson though . there were many fans still to get in .

8 hours ago, gee jay said:

it wasn't just held up for lawson though . there were many fans still to get in .

Yet likewise there were plenty of fans who allowed extra time, arrived in advance and were in the stadium. There will always be tardy people in life but constantly delaying the starts for them does not help teach them a lesson, if anything it encourages others to arrive a bit later as they know they will get away with it. I must add this isn't just Eastbourne who do this infuriating practice. 

39 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yet likewise there were plenty of fans who allowed extra time, arrived in advance and were in the stadium. There will always be tardy people in life but constantly delaying the starts for them does not help teach them a lesson, if anything it encourages others to arrive a bit later as they know they will get away with it. I must add this isn't just Eastbourne who do this infuriating practice. 

I always allow extra time and most meets am there in stadium an hour at least before tapes up. As I have said a few times in this thread, it took me 2 hours longer than normal to arrive at Stadium from south of Birmingham. I and many others and a fair few from Birmingham arrived later than we normally would due to M25/M23 issues. I spoke to fans from London (ex Dons) outside who had taken 4 hours to get there; from South London. Please give the Club some credit for thinking of fans who are late through no fault of their own.

There are a good 80-100 people outside there at 5 to 3 who would probably would not have come back if they had not delayed start by no more than 10 mins to let us in, if a few inside have an issue with that I hope they are never delayed when they come to see their Team at Birmingham. Good customer service should be seen as being thoughtful and considerate, and that's what it was.

Good Friday was a great day for Speedway everywhere with big crowds at all venues, I really do wonder if some actually want it to die just to preserve their illogical preferences.

• Like 3

It is a tricky one to try and keep everyone happy with keeping or delaying the start time, as I normally get there an hour early to get a decent place near the start line a late start is annoying, although normally Kev Coombes makes the wait entertaining , but travelling 50 miles along the A27 to home meetings, I  have on occasion encountered an accident or detour arriving around start time where the delayed start had been a blessing. Suppose it does have to be fluid, but if there isn't a queue outside needs to be bang on time, intros done and first race ready to go at the start time to deter the regular late comers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

It is a tricky one to try and keep everyone happy with keeping or delaying the start time, as I normally get there an hour early to get a decent place near the start line a late start is annoying, although normally Kev Coombes makes the wait entertaining , but travelling 50 miles along the A27 to home meetings, I  have on occasion encountered an accident or detour arriving around start time where the delayed start had been a blessing. Suppose it does have to be fluid, but if there isn't a queue outside needs to be bang on time, intros done and first race ready to go at the start time to deter the regular late comers.

agree Gazza, doubt you had many queues in NL era though, been queues both time i've been this season, first meting only had 3 turnstiles open though but on Friday all were open.

13 hours ago, gee jay said:

Try to keep up. We aren’t discussing the reasons for the delay to the meeting, that has been covered and generally agreed that there were valid reasons.

I was responding to Mmmethonals post that we shouldn’t be bothered if Lawson were to arrive ‘fashionably late’ for every meeting provided he maintained his scoring record.

15 hours ago, topsoil said:

There are numerous occasions when football matches have been delayed if the visiting team is stuck in traffic

Not talking about the team, we’re discussing an individual.

Just wonder if everyone would be so complacent if it was the opposition No 1 who was delayed for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mmmmethanol said:

Dust.......Timekeeping..........with all due respect, both you & Old Bob no longer seem to be enjoying Speedway. Time for another sport?

Perhaps, but hopefully not yet. I would just like to see Eastbourne continue the great start they made this year to run meetings in a professional manner. Ian Jordan has put it in writing that things needed to change in order to maintain and encourage existing and new spectators and he has plans to deliver the right experience. Early feedback and attendances prove he is right and I am excited and encouraged by the vision he has laid out.

But I don’t think I should be treated as being grateful that speedway is being provided for me, which is the impression given by some in the sport.

7 hours ago, woofers said:

Not talking about the team, we’re discussing an individual.

Just wonder if everyone would be so complacent if it was the opposition No 1 who was delayed for whatever reason. 

Doesn't matter if it's a team or an individual, the end result is the same