British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevebrum

Belle Vue V Wolverhampton Wolves and Wolves v Belle Vue Monday 22nd April Premiership Supporters Cup

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I would suggest you just leave it...

You are not going to convince those who don't agree..

For what it's worth (ie not much), I do understand your sentiments..

When I played football I bust my ankle and for approx 3 games on my return I barely made a tackle due to my concern there could be further damage, (even though physio and all medical team who had helped in my recovery said it was fine)...

Fourth game in, I had no choice but to instinctively take a 50/50 on and won the ball but got 'nailed'..

Best thing that could have happened to me as after some 'magic sponge' treatment (when did that stop fixing every ailment in football by the way?) I was up and about and flying in like nothing had happened...

Coming back from injury can be a very mental thing to fix as you say...

You do sometimes have to test your body out to convince yourself you are OK. ..

I did my ligaments in the ankle about 18 months ago playing football. Broke the bone as well. 8 months out. So totally get you point of view.

For 3 to 4 months after I've never been so nervous on a football pitch. It affected everything I did. 

Until someone rolled my ankle again and it stood up to it.

Back to the player I was 18 months previous. The demons had gone. I knew my ankle could take it again.

Thank you, like Phil, for posting fairly.

Much appreciated 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

I  thought it was a decent meeting but two and a half hours is far too long for fifteen races.   

More like 2 and a quarter.

The delay at heat 15 was annoying but the track grading and watering was fine with me...………..then again, I was at Sheffield yesterday. 

Great meeting as always with Wolves and plenty for both sets of fans to be pleased with as the match score had plenty of interest up until heat 12. Lots of good races with many being 2 in 1 on a track somehow devoid of dust until heat 15. There was some shenanigans with Adams’ nominations and this led to a 20 minute delay so it took the running time past the usual sub 2hr mark. It was an excuse to sit in the lovely sunshine any way. 

Nice to be traveling to Monmore for what now is a friendly. At the risk of upsetting folk I still hope any fallers don’t get injured, it’s the way I am and I’m not going to change. 

Yes, it was a little longer than normal and longer than the Colts meeting on Friday.  But the only 'dead' time was that between heats 14 and 15.  There was brief announcement suggesting some confusion/disagreement on who could ride in heat 15  but that was not explained.  

Other than that thought the meeting flowed well and I find it perfectly acceptable for a short delay between some heats for the water bowser to do it's job.

All-in-all a good meeting with some decent racing and really nice to see Ricky Wells in the thick of it especially Ht 5 when he wouldn't be intimidated by Masters.

It's been a good Easter at the NSS.

Us old timers may just about tolerate a 20 minute delay for no apparent reason whatsoever - but sadly, 'the young' probably won't and speedway will continue on it's suicidal path.

I enjoyed the meeting up until then, the watering breaks were clearly essential, but long breaks such as the one after heat 14 are becoming toxic.

Continuity is lost and everything falls flat. Like the very long advert breaks on tv, you can forget what your'e watching.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Us old timers may just about tolerate a 20 minute delay for no apparent reason whatsoever - but sadly, 'the young' probably won't and speedway will continue on it's suicidal path.

I enjoyed the meeting up until then, the watering breaks were clearly essential, but long breaks such as the one after heat 14 are becoming toxic.

Continuity is lost and everything falls flat. Like the very long advert breaks on tv, you can forget what your'e watching.

Sums it up for me too.  You can only take so much of mascot Chase the Ace (who does a great job, don't get me wrong!) clowning around on the centre green with a few kids.

And it's worth saying that all this clowning was taking place in front of the grandstand anyway...................at the opposite side of the stadium so completely ignoring those of us in the South stand. 

And constant playing of old standard 'pop' hits to fill the delay doesn't help. 

The comparison with the Colts meeting a couple of days before are completely justified.

And yes, as with 'keepturningleft' I am an 'old timer'!  But take out all the old timers from an average speedway crowd and you won't have too many people left!

EDIT: I am behind the BV promotion in everything they are trying to do to keep the Aces viable.  But they shouldn't be afraid to accept  criticism when well meant. 

Edited by lastword
update

3 hours ago, acef said:

Christ your simple.

Christ what on earth is wrong with you? You seem to have issues and seem a very angry individual. Absolutely no need to be calling people “simple”, none whatsoever. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ouch said:

Was the delay due to Belle Vue?

When a delay like this occurs in a match it is immaterial who is to blame providing the crowd are kept informed as to the reason.

In this case we were all just standing there like idiots not knowing what was going on.

The delay to heat 15 was due to Peter Adams arguing with the referee about riders eligible for heat 15.

Peter Adam's delayed heat 15 arguing about the rules for heat 15

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The delay to heat 15 was due to Peter Adams arguing with the referee about riders eligible for heat 15.

Thanks Rob for that information.

I'm currently at home hours after the meeting and would have appreciated knowing that when I was stood watching. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall any announcement at the track explaining that.

But irrespective of the reason and whether I missed any announcement (?)................I am more concerned how any newbies in the crowd would have reacted to the long delay.  Like you I'll be there next week and every week after until my legs finally give out but any newcomers might not be. 

18 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Peter Adam's delayed heat 15 arguing about the rules for heat 15

Surely he should know that the rules have not changed much from last year. Any 2 from your top 5 by CMA or from top 3 scorers from programmed rides. Now added in 2019 for supporters trophy, the 2 riders voted for in heat 14 cannot ride in 15.

Fair play to Belle Vue not mentioning Adams in all this and just saying there was some “confusion”. Well done. 

• Haha 1

Luke Becker looks like he could well be the signing of the season. Showing great promise ...

• Like 2