British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oleoleole

Were you a Bees fan of the 60's, 70's or 80's?

If you were a regular at Brandon in the 60's, 70's or 80's you might be interested in the next couple of events at the NSSC.

On Thursday 2nd May we welcome some 'old' Bees to the Brandon Club. We are still adding to the list but confirmed starters are; Roy Carter, Cliff Emms, Frank Smith, John Harrhy and Col Smith for an evening of memories and nostalgia. We will also have a display of old bikes and race jackets.

Then on Thursday 23rd May Chris Durno meets his boyhood hero Gary Guglielmi. Yes! Gary is back in the country on holiday and very kindly agreed to be our special guest for the evening. Chris will host what promises to be a very interesting evening!

Everybody is welcome at these events with a small charge for non-members of £3. All proceeds go to help Neil Vatcher and the Young Lions U16's.

Both events start at 8pm at the Brandon Club, Main Street, Brandon, Coventry, CV8 3HW. The venue is just down the hill on the Rugby side of Brandon and apart from a good bar there's hot drinks and light snacks available. A warm welcome awaits. Come and catch up with familiar faces from the Brandon pits and the terraces.

For more information please take a look at our website; https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

• Like 2

Just to add that Colin Pratt will be joining the ex-riders on the 2nd May and Peter York will be hosting the event.

If you are/were a Bees fan come and give us a try. Only £3 entry and lots of familiar faces, from both sides of the safety fence.

OK guys. I need some help. At the start of the meetings at Coventry we used to have the Flight of the Bumble Bee followed by a march.

What is the piece of music that the track staff used to march out to?

6 hours ago, oleoleole said:

OK guys. I need some help. At the start of the meetings at Coventry we used to have the Flight of the Bumble Bee followed by a march.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A reminder that Gary Guglielmi will be back at Brandon next Thursday (23rd May, 8pm).

Chris Durno interviews his boyhood hero in what promises to be a very interesting evening. There's a lot to discuss!

Everybody is welcome at these events with a small charge for non-members of £3. All proceeds go to help Neil Vatcher and the Young Lions U16's.

We start at 8pm at the Brandon Club, Main Street, Brandon, Coventry, CV8 3HW. The venue is just down the hill on the Rugby side of Brandon and apart from a good bar there's hot drinks and light snacks available. A warm welcome awaits. Come and catch up with familiar faces from the Brandon terraces.

For all details please see our website; https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

10 hours ago, oleoleole said:

A reminder that Gary Guglielmi will be back at Brandon next Thursday (23rd May, 8pm).

Chris Durno interviews his boyhood hero in what promises to be a very interesting evening. There's a lot to discuss!

Everybody is welcome at these events with a small charge for non-members of £3. All proceeds go to help Neil Vatcher and the Young Lions U16's.

We start at 8pm at the Brandon Club, Main Street, Brandon, Coventry, CV8 3HW. The venue is just down the hill on the Rugby side of Brandon and apart from a good bar there's hot drinks and light snacks available. A warm welcome awaits. Come and catch up with familiar faces from the Brandon terraces.

For all details please see our website; https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

Personally I sit uncomfortably with the memory Gary Guglielmi and the subsequent suicide of Billy Sanders. I can't seperate one from the other.

However I wish the event well.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Me too ~ not one of my favourite riders. Didn't he also get into trouble for trying to smuggle something in one of his speedway bikes? 

8 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Me too ~ not one of my favourite riders. Didn't he also get into trouble for trying to smuggle something in one of his speedway bikes? 

He did indeed.   Spent time inside when he was caught smuggling drugs inside his engine

• Like 1

Who are the other 6? :unsure: 

Ole Olsen, Nigel Boocock, Hans Nielsen, Greg Hancock, Bill Hamill,  Tommy Knudsen?

On 20 May 2019 at 12:16 AM, Gemini said:

Who are the other 6? :unsure: 

Ole Olsen, Nigel Boocock, Hans Nielsen, Greg Hancock, Bill Hamill,  Tommy Knudsen?

Noooo!

Not the best team of all-time, but one to pay money to watch every week

1  Nigel Boocock - who else but Little Boy Blue - no sponsored vehicle or motor home, just load the bike on the back of a Ford Consul and off to the meeting!
2  Col Cottrell - smooth operator who for a short time was quite unbeatable around Brandon and was part of a wonderful opening pair with Booey - sadly died aged 40 in 1982
3  Tom Farndon - never saw him (obviously!) but the one rider of all time I wish I had seen
4  Ron Mountford - they say that they had to repaint the kick-boards after each meeting where The Man had left tyre marks in his all-action style
5  Tommy Knudsen - the young Dane who made racing look so stylish and so easy (which it never is!), sadly left the sport way too soon
6  Les Owen - the late great Muscles, Coventry kid so seriously injured in 1973 in a track-crash from which he never fully recovered, tragically killed on the railway at Canley crossing - RIP Les
7  Gary Guglielmi - this has to be the young GG who first came to Brandon in 1977, not the later version - watching him try and complete even one lap around Brandon was worth the admission money alone

• Like 3

On 5/17/2019 at 11:48 AM, Gemini said:

well they are Dope engines ,so it was a genuine mistake ;)

On 4/29/2019 at 11:21 AM, oleoleole said:

Proper music for ending the evening ,  May each day , and it has to be the proper Andy Williams version ,not the bloody awful one Sandhu changed it to

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, oleoleole said:

hi apologies if you already have the answer but I think it was march of the gladiators but may be wrong.

1 hour ago, porkypotter said:

hi apologies if you already have the answer but I think it was march of the gladiators but may be wrong.

Imperial Echoes mate ,  the Coldstream guards played it , as they marched towards Hong Kong harbour to board a ship , after the official handing back of Hong kong to the Chinese