British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oleoleole

Were you a Bees fan of the 60's, 70's or 80's?

16 minutes ago, adonis said:

Imperial Echoes mate ,  the Coldstream guards played it , as they marched towards Hong Kong harbour to board a ship , after the official handing back of Hong kong to the Chinese

well done. brings back memories of a Saturday night at brandon. happy days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Ron Mountford - they say that they had to repaint the kick-boards after each meeting where The Man had left tyre marks in his all-action style

I'm not surprised. :D  I once saw him way ahead in a race but on the 4th bend, where I was standing, he went too wide and crashed after  hitting the fence. I just presumed he had lost concentration. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, porkypotter said:

hi apologies if you already have the answer but I think it was march of the gladiators but may be wrong.

you may be thinking of the 'entry of the gladiators' ? but that is the circus music.

Edited by gee jay

20 hours ago, gee jay said:

you may be thinking of the 'entry of the gladiators' ? but that is the circus music.

yes you are probably right there but with the events that have gone on there circus music is more apt. it is a crying shame what has happened to the old place. I found a you tube clip the other day where a couple of lads went into the stadium and did some filming. absolutely heartbreaking and all those involved in this debacle should hang their heads in shame. good luck to the save Coventry speedway campaign

• Like 1

"Imperial Echoes" wasn't the original March-on music at Coventry. I made my first ever visit to Brandon in 1956 for the Final of the Midland Riders' Championship, and music played then was called "The King's Guard" which was a very stirring march. After Birmingham closed down in July 1957, I became a regular at Brandon and the "King's Guard" continued to be the introductory march for about a another season when so I was told, there was a break-in at the stadium, the record was broken and a replacement couldn't be obtained, so "Imperial Echoes" took its place.

In those days, all tracks had a distinctive introductory march - there was "Entry of the Gladiators" at Wembley (which a lot of other tracks tried to copy), and "Marching Along Together" at New Cross, and my all-time favourite "We're on our Way" at Perry Barr. Birmingham's march-on was magnificent - all of the staff wore pristine white coats and marched in step with arms swinging, and at the end of the meetings the staff lined up and marched off just as smartly - a far cry from the way the staff come shambling out from the pits these days. Too many people seem to think that it doesn't matter these days, which is a great pity I think.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brianbuck said:

"Imperial Echoes" wasn't the original March-on music at Coventry. I made my first ever visit to Brandon in 1956 for the Final of the Midland Riders' Championship, and music played then was called "The King's Guard" which was a very stirring march. After Birmingham closed down in July 1957, I became a regular at Brandon and the "King's Guard" continued to be the introductory march for about a another season when so I was told, there was a break-in at the stadium, the record was broken and a replacement couldn't be obtained, so "Imperial Echoes" took its place.

In those days, all tracks had a distinctive introductory march - there was "Entry of the Gladiators" at Wembley (which a lot of other tracks tried to copy), and "Marching Along Together" at New Cross, and my all-time favourite "We're on our Way" at Perry Barr. Birmingham's march-on was magnificent - all of the staff wore pristine white coats and marched in step with arms swinging, and at the end of the meetings the staff lined up and marched off just as smartly - a far cry from the way the staff come shambling out from the pits these days. Too many people seem to think that it doesn't matter these days, which is a great pity I think.

What a great reply. A brilliant piece of information.

As far as I can remember, didn't the track staff at Brandon all wear berets as well?

"Imperial Echoes" is the tune I remember fron the early sixties

happy days