British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Vs Edinburgh SGB Champ Shield Easter Sunday 21 April

15 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

What happened to Ben Hopwood? Would he fit can’t remember what his last average was. 

23 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

What happened to Ben Hopwood? Would he fit can’t remember what his last average was. 

Think it was heading towards 3, he might fit, but can't see much improvement from where he's at, average wise.

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

Think it was heading towards 3, he might fit, but can't see much improvement from where he's at, average wise.

Fair enough but at least he'll compete which isn't happening now... 

13 minutes ago, andys said:

Fair enough but at least he'll compete which isn't happening now... 

Agree, and suppose 2.5 points a match is a five point swing in your direction.

Which is better than the 'Audi badge' 0000 ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Albert said:

So why did you not heed what Scunny were saying last year! A change is inevitable in my opinion.

Could be something to do with Mr Phillips senior being one of the promoters. I'm sure he'll back his son to the hilt but even he should be able to see its not working and it can't be doing him any good. I wouldn't mind if he was on the pace but he's not. Time for a change. 

• Like 1

Hopwood brought with him the experience of being an NL heat leader, and on occasion it showed. 

We're more or less out of the Shield. Perhaps DP will be given the rest of the Shield fixtures to improve. 

I think Simon Lambert will come good.

52 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

Could be something to do with Mr Phillips senior being one of the promoters. I'm sure he'll back his son to the hilt but even he should be able to see its not working and it can't be doing him any good. I wouldn't mind if he was on the pace but he's not. Time for a change. 

Remember all other fans commenting on the Scorpions pages last year for being unfair .

Well I witnessed Danny all last season home and away ,I gave him the benefit of the doubt returning from injury etc .But when you see a rider de throttle to miss the first bend on so many occasions to be in a safe position is beyond me .

If he wants to ride Speedway that's fine  but the rest of the guys are racing and competing ,that's why when supporters pay good money they expect effort and commitment.

Ive seen Speedway for 40 plus yrs and some of my favourite ride back at the old Hull Vikings were Peter Scully and Mike Hampson not the greatest riders but always give 100 % effort

• Like 3

Danny's inability to score round Brough and anywhere else for that matter at Championship level, will I am sure tell him something.

It certainly will be damaging his confidence and maybe he should make the call himself to move back down a league where he can win races and make some money!

I tend to agree with TG that Simon Lambert will make good, but hopefully in the near future.

• Like 3

He could have stepped down on numerous occasions last year but failed to do so. After scoring 11 for Belle Vue on Friday, maybe he thinks he has still got it but the NSS is nice & wide so doesn't have to throttle off going in to the 1st bend at the start of a race. He was nearly always on the pace but it was his inability to mix it in the 1st bend & lack of conviction when trying to pass, saw a lot of us vent our displeasure last year.

• Like 1

Reality is there is nobody knocking on the door who could go a better job at present than Phillips. Of the kids in the National League (Jenkins & Edwards) don't seem to want it yet or (Palin, McGurk, Ablitt, Gilkes, Thompson's) are too young. Others don't have places in the National League (unless Danyon Hume can get an injury reduction) so don't appear to be interested (Lawlor, Parkinson-Blackburn). Plus if there was a candidate I'm sure the Glasgow money tree would shake first.

Without being able to make a change what should be done is to make better use of Clegg.  I reckon there was about another 4-6 point swap in last night meeting if Clegg had been used in heat 5 and 8.  Wasn't required last night (although it did get close at one point) but there'll be tougher opponents and he'll not be a reserve too much longer.  No point in giving Phillips or Lambert the easier heats if they're not developing/scoring.

I'm not sure that Lambert will ever get the hang of Newcastle but could be decent at reserve away from home. It's going to be frustrating to watch but in lieu of any alternatives you just have to accept it for what it is.

How about Danyon Hume (3.79) & Ben Hopwood (2.46) in

And

Simon Lambert (4.18) & Danny Phillips (2.00) out

Team would be

1. Steve Worrall 7.97

2. Danyon Hume 3.79 (Yes, a bit weak for now, until Max comes into the main body, feel for Simon, but Brough is just not his track at all)

3. Lasse Bjerre 7.08

4. Matthew Wethers 5.78

5. Thomas Jorgensen 7.66

6. Ben Hopwood 2.46 (Solid enough rider with experience... Will do better than Danny, no offence and would allow Danyon at 7, which would be strong)

7. Max Clegg 3.17 (Will soon go to number 2 and can really kick on well imo, impressed so far this season)

Total: 37.91

Still also like the idea of someone like Mikkel B Andersen for Simon and a gamble on Jordan Jenkins (Or similar) for Danny

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Albert said:

So why did you not heed what Scunny were saying last year! A change is inevitable in my opinion.

Because it was completely different circumstances, it was after the deadline for Scunthorpe, so they had to keep him... If it turned out tomorrow, for whatever reason, Newcastle HAD to keep Danny I would support him all the way... But for now, in best interest for the team and himself, while the rules allow, we should replace him

1 hour ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

I'm not sure how well Clegg would go in the body of the team. Remember Sean Stoddart.

Vaguely... And I think Clegg would do good in the main body - Yes, just good, not GREAT (Especially at home)... A bit like when we had Lewis Rose at number 2 the year we had Danny King, plus it's a much weaker league now... With other number 2s including Danny Ayres, Tobias Thomsen, Ben Morley, James Sarjeant, Ellis Perks, Tom Bacon (Is he ok after his crash?) Etc... All rider Max could easily beat or mix it with

19 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I thought newcastle got out of jail on this one an ef robbed edinburgh a t/s for wells,tj falling that race could have been rerun,then no interval just a 20 min tracror race so tj could get his second bike sorted , then another 10 min delay after fe fell in ht 13.poor meeting apart from a couple of hts and a very poor ref .

But at least we never had a power cut so the gems match was run and there was even time 4 another 4 laps for a young rider at the end before the curfew !!