British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Vs Edinburgh SGB Champ Shield Easter Sunday 21 April

9 hours ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Hopwood brought with him the experience of being an NL heat leader, and on occasion it showed. 

We're more or less out of the Shield. Perhaps DP will be given the rest of the Shield fixtures to improve. 

I think Simon Lambert will come good.

Hope your right on Lambert.. but I have my doubts

10 hours ago, diamond@heart said:

Could be something to do with Mr Phillips senior being one of the promoters. I'm sure he'll back his son to the hilt but even he should be able to see its not working and it can't be doing him any good. I wouldn't mind if he was on the pace but he's not. Time for a change. 

I'm not convinced that's the case at all. Danny wasn't in our team plans last season even after Mr Phillips senior joined the promotion. However when the team's new sponsors came on board they wanted Danny in the team. However they were persuaded otherwise last year due to the way the team was being built (out of necessity) and in the end they made a major contribution to making Danny a Newcastle asset instead. So it is highly possible that they had some say in Danny being in the team this year. Don't forget that without them (and all the other sponsors) we'd probably all be sitting at home on a sunday evening engaged in some thumb twiddling.

That said I wouldn't disagree that a change is possibly needed, but with who. In NL he is regularly beating most, if not all, possible contenders. I see he's top scored ( 5R 10+1)for Belle vue colts at Kent tonight from the number 3 slot. Outscoring both Leon Flint and Kyle Bickley. Kent is more or less the same size as Redcar and nothing like the size of Belle Vue.

The no. 2 slot is a bigger worry for me. Simon's average has dropped by nearly a point while Max has improved by over 2.00. I have no problem about Max moving up to no 2 but Simon dropping down to reserve?? We will be woefully weak at reserve on current form.  At the moment he isn't even beating opposition number 7's. Replacing him after the new greensheets come out means we will be looking for a 3.00 as opposed to a 4.00 pointer ( we are over the 38 point limit). 

Ben Hopwood has been mentioned but his current average (if correct) would put us over if you want him to replace Danny. After the greensheets he's probably too high to replace Simon! But he hasn't even got a NL slot this year so I don't know if he's retired, injured, or not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, leander said:

I'm not convinced that's the case at all. Danny wasn't in our team plans last season even after Mr Phillips senior joined the promotion. However when the team's new sponsors came on board they wanted Danny in the team. However they were persuaded otherwise last year due to the way the team was being built (out of necessity) and in the end they made a major contribution to making Danny a Newcastle asset instead. So it is highly possible that they had some say in Danny being in the team this year. Don't forget that without them (and all the other sponsors) we'd probably all be sitting at home on a sunday evening engaged in some thumb twiddling.

That said I wouldn't disagree that a change is possibly needed, but with who. In NL he is regularly beating most, if not all, possible contenders. I see he's top scored ( 5R 10+1)for Belle vue colts at Kent tonight from the number 3 slot. Outscoring both Leon Flint and Kyle Bickley. Kent is more or less the same size as Redcar and nothing like the size of Belle Vue.

The no. 2 slot is a bigger worry for me. Simon's average has dropped by nearly a point while Max has improved by over 2.00. I have no problem about Max moving up to no 2 but Simon dropping down to reserve?? We will be woefully weak at reserve on current form.  At the moment he isn't even beating opposition number 7's. Replacing him after the new greensheets come out means we will be looking for a 3.00 as opposed to a 4.00 pointer ( we are over the 38 point limit). 

Ben Hopwood has been mentioned but his current average (if correct) would put us over if you want him to replace Danny. After the greensheets he's probably too high to replace Simon! But he hasn't even got a NL slot this year so I don't know if he's retired, injured, or not.

Good quote that is 

Dont know enough about averages, but couldn't Newcastle dump Simon Lambert and bring in Jedd List or Josh McDonald?       Josh would become a club asset and I think Jedd might as well, as he only did a couple of matches at Scunthorpe before they did the dirty deed.

As your guy says above, Danny Phillips is your asset and is scoring points with BV, Simon Lambert has been around for years.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Uluru said:

Dont know enough about averages, but couldn't Newcastle dump Simon Lambert and bring in Jedd List or Josh McDonald?       Josh would become a club asset and I think Jedd might as well, as he only did a couple of matches at Scunthorpe before they did the dirty deed.

As your guy says above, Danny Phillips is your asset and is scoring points with BV, Simon Lambert has been around for years.

We could, as they both come in on a 4.00. Whether we would want to, I don't know. No disrespect but Jedd List is possibly a 3.00 at best. I would have taken a punt on Josh when the preseason team changes were forced upon us. Don't know if he was considered. 

35 minutes ago, leander said:

We could, as they both come in on a 4.00. Whether we would want to, I don't know. No disrespect but Jedd List is possibly a 3.00 at best. I would have taken a punt on Josh when the preseason team changes were forced upon us. Don't know if he was considered. 

My Glasgow mate said Jedd List was belting around Berwick after their match there, looked fast and confident.  He's well worth a punt.

What Rob Godfrey did to him was despicable.   If Newcastle took him on he could well do to Scunthorpe what Jye Etheridge did to Edinburgh.

7 minutes ago, Uluru said:

My Glasgow mate said Jedd List was belting around Berwick after their match there, looked fast and confident.  He's well worth a punt.

What Rob Godfrey did to him was despicable.   If Newcastle took him on he could well do to Scunthorpe what Jye Etheridge did to Edinburgh.

I'm not one to agree with what Rob did, but however, he certainly isn't ready for Championship racing. National League would help him but not sure if he'd be allowed to compete in that level. Riders look good in practice on their own, as Jedd did, but when there's 3 other riders by you, its a totally different ball game

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Uluru said:

10 hours ago, leander said:

We don't have a sponsorship licence thingy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely a change has to come sooner rather than later surrounding Phillips before the fans start to turn against the promotion? Whilst the selection lower is a bit slim with Jenkins starting the season below par he still looks a better option and Luke Harris has to be worth a look at for the future? Forget Edwards as Eastbourne have that deal sown up while others were sleeping. Phillips has had his chances and not taken them, now he is just blocking a spot for another Brit and its almost getting to the point that the interests of speedway card is played.  As for Bjerre he has been around far too long to be having poor equipment and that is just not good enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevePark said:

Both the mentioned riders have patriality

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Both the mentioned riders have patriality

Yes, but there are "strings attached."

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Surely a change has to come sooner rather than later surrounding Phillips before the fans start to turn against the promotion? Whilst the selection lower is a bit slim with Jenkins starting the season below par he still looks a better option and Luke Harris has to be worth a look at for the future? Forget Edwards as Eastbourne have that deal sown up while others were sleeping. Phillips has had his chances and not taken them, now he is just blocking a spot for another Brit and its almost getting to the point that the interests of speedway card is played.  As for Bjerre he has been around far too long to be having poor equipment and that is just not good enough.

Don't see why anyone can complain about Bjerre... Yes he started the season off slow, but the last two home meetings, particularly the last one, he's been great... He seems like a big team man too... Gifting Matty that win and slowing down to help Max, just to be passed on the line by Josh Pickering... I think our heatleaders are strong and don't need to be touched, I like Matty at 4, he's impressed me in a much harder position than last season, obviously Max is performing very well at reserve and looks like he'll be good enough to step up... It's just the other two... No offence

18 hours ago, Uluru said:

Rob is generally the first to publically shame teams for making similar moves... One rule for one and another rule for another

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StevePark said:

Don't need one, and there are no 'strings attached'. Both have 5 year paltriality visa's as they have an uk grandparent. Essentially they can do any job they want without needing 'employer sponsorship'. That is why MacDonald has come over, despite Workington closing, and List hasn't been sent home.

1 minute ago, leander said:

Don't need one, and there are no 'strings attached'. Both have 5 year paltriality visa's as they have an uk grandparent. Essentially they can do any job they want without needing 'employer sponsorship'. That is why MacDonald has come over, despite Workington closing, and List hasn't been sent home.

You clearly know more than the Diamonds management then

• Like 1