British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Vs Edinburgh SGB Champ Shield Easter Sunday 21 April

8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

It's only till the new averages progress to a normal  situation.

'Normal situation' Dave ? hmmm

8 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Now too late to fit Danyon Hume and Ben Hopwood in for Danny and Simon... Unless Danyon would qualify for an injury reduction?

Danyon seemed to do well at Sheffield today, and no offence but Ben would only be an upgrade on Danny

Generally the case with our promotion they either miss the boat ( but there again what some riders ask for I think they there footy players rather than speedway riders ) concerning team changes at times.. but George is a loyal ( some may say to loyal ) to his riders which last season wasn't to bad at the end so if we can change I'd like to see it happen sooner than later or we could be watching from the couch come the end of August,,, 

2 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Generally the case with our promotion they either miss the boat ( but there again what some riders ask for I think they there footy players rather than speedway riders ) concerning team changes at times.. but George is a loyal ( some may say to loyal ) to his riders which last season wasn't to bad at the end so if we can change I'd like to see it happen sooner than later or we could be watching from the couch come the end of August,,, 

I'm not sure how much Simon wants to be at Newcastle like... I dunno, maybe he does, but it doesn't strike me as his favourite place to be, not saying he'd betray the club, but it's not ideal, just the only club left for him... At least Danyon is young... And Hopwood is solid... But even if not Hopwood, just a gamble on a 2.00er like Wallinger, Embleton or Luke Harris would be nice... Alex Spooner seems to have started the season on fire? (Not a hair joke)

BUT if we went for just a 2.00er rather than Hopwood, might as well get someone like Tom Perry or Carl Wilkinson (If not retired?) At least he likes our track

Edited by Dandelion

13 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Now too late to fit Danyon Hume and Ben Hopwood in for Danny and Simon... Unless Danyon would qualify for an injury reduction?

Danyon seemed to do well at Sheffield today, and no offence but Ben would only be an upgrade on Danny

Not sure that is the case. True we are over the limit, as is everybody bar Birmingham and Edinburgh, though Edinburgh have added near on a point to there team average. It's just that they were on a really low average to start with. most of our increase is down to Max who has put 0.83 on his average. danny remains on the minimum 2.00. Rolling averages has somehow resulted in Simon's actually increasing to 4.2. He must have dropped some really low scores from early last season for that to happen. There is no sign of Ben riding anywhere this season as of yet as far as I can see. An added bonus is that Max stays at reserve for another month

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I'm not sure how much Simon wants to be at Newcastle like... I dunno, maybe he does, but it doesn't strike me as his favourite place to be, not saying he'd betray the club, but it's not ideal, just the only club left for him... At least Danyon is young... And Hopwood is solid... But even if not Hopwood, just a gamble on a 2.00er like Wallinger, Embleton or Luke Harris would be nice... Alex Spooner seems to have started the season on fire? (Not a hair joke)

BUT if we went for just a 2.00er rather than Hopwood, might as well get someone like Tom Perry or Carl Wilkinson (If not retired?) At least he likes our track

Two names for me:

1) regardless of desire to not have Aussies due to whatever visa/sponsorship/tracking - Jedd List looks the real deal. Second around Sheffield beating their own Aussie and a rider of a similar age drew kemp who is tipped for the top.... massive coup to get a rider who WILL get better, and given we aren’t getting points off Simon seems a total no brainier....

2) The next big thing in the conference who nobody has touched - Dan Gilkes. Seen the kid ride he is out of this world, and albeit only his first season fully at conference level he will be a heat leader, if not top of Kent’s averages this year....... if you need to pick up anyone - pick up this kid now! 

2 signings that would not only improve us this year, but both will become assets and both have huge futures in the sport, and will get better..

as an additional point on gilkes, if we elect to ride conference next year the promise of a championship spot and a national league spot to boot should be a huge draw!

• Like 1

Good points.. on gilkes he's got good gear and food people around him well worth a consider but with him being based right down south and doing his exams at the moment would he travel up here on a Sunday then getting back home about 3 or 4 am then up for school at 8am could prove too much for him but I would like to see him here 

4 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

Two names for me:

1) regardless of desire to not have Aussies due to whatever visa/sponsorship/tracking - Jedd List looks the real deal. Second around Sheffield beating their own Aussie and a rider of a similar age drew kemp who is tipped for the top.... massive coup to get a rider who WILL get better, and given we aren’t getting points off Simon seems a total no brainier....

2) The next big thing in the conference who nobody has touched - Dan Gilkes. Seen the kid ride he is out of this world, and albeit only his first season fully at conference level he will be a heat leader, if not top of Kent’s averages this year....... if you need to pick up anyone - pick up this kid now! 

2 signings that would not only improve us this year, but both will become assets and both have huge futures in the sport, and will get better..

as an additional point on gilkes, if we elect to ride conference next year the promise of a championship spot and a national league spot to boot should be a huge draw!

Interesting points. Will George & Martin take a chance?  Regardless of who is and isn't available i think the promotion have to have a serious think about making changes.

5 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

Two names for me:

Interesting about Gilkes as he might get a run out at Brough soon in the Gems team due to absences.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Interesting about Gilkes as he might get a run out at Brough soon in the Gems team due to absences.

I very much look forward to that Dave! 

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

very interesting.

I wonder if Austin Novratil gets an invite to practice whilst he's over for the SON.

Yesterday 11 lasts (i.e. only 4 heats we could have gained a heat advantage) and our bottom three scored 4 vs Leicester's 22.  

Still not convinced there's a better 2.00 option out there than Phillips unless someone like Gilkes feels ready to go Championship after only a handful of National League meetings but perhaps once the points limit increases that'll either give us more points to play with or free up a 2.00 discarded elsewhere.

To repeat myself (April 22) your team should thank Simon Lambert for his efforts and move him on.       Don't miss the chance of Jedd List while he's still unattached -- and he'd surely become you asset too?

Not even Rob Godfrey could try to claim him for Scuthorpe after what he did.

Edited by Uluru
spelling
  • Like 1

I really really like Dan Gilkes, watched him a few times and love his style... BUT with the few points already raised about his exams, location and such and the stage he is at in his career, it would be a year too early would it not? Dan rode in an NJL meeting already around Brough and although I'm sure it was his first time there and he will have improved since, it's probably too early for him, Josh was beating him and he seemed to struggle a bit with the track... Although I do admit, he IS the next big thing in British speedway, and relatively unspoken about... Would be a great asset for 2020... As for Jedd List, all comments apply... He seems very fast around the big tracks, but Newcastle? I dunno... Although he did look comfortable enough in his second half laps (by himself) could that have been the promotion inviting and watching him?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, enotian said:

very interesting.

I wonder if Austin Novratil gets an invite to practice whilst he's over for the SON.

Yesterday 11 lasts (i.e. only 4 heats we could have gained a heat advantage) and our bottom three scored 4 vs Leicester's 22.  

Still not convinced there's a better 2.00 option out there than Phillips unless someone like Gilkes feels ready to go Championship after only a handful of National League meetings but perhaps once the points limit increases that'll either give us more points to play with or free up a 2.00 discarded elsewhere.

No offence, but would that discarded 2 pointer not be good enough, as he's been discarded? Just a thought.

33 minutes ago, StevePark said:

No offence, but would that discarded 2 pointer not be good enough, as he's been discarded? Just a thought.

Depends on whether he'd then be a better or worse option than our then discarded 2.00er