British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Most friendly, approachable, modest riders

There were lots of riders who rode under assumed names in the early days as they rode at non league tracks like Norwich and didn't want their actual clubs to know as they had signed exclusive contracts with them. For example, Fred Leavis rode as Arthur Reynolds, Bert Garrish as Herb Peters and Allen Kilfoyle as Jack Williams.

There was also Trevor Vincent / Trevor Charley who used the first name when he was under age ,I think

• Like 1

Ronnie Genz rode under the name of Reg Neal when he appeared at Exeter during 1963/4 (?) when the old Provincial League was 'black' .

Edited by steve roberts

On 4/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, norbold said:

Tyburn Gallows, even if he was a complete nutcase!

Not popular to be next to in the pits - I was told...

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Ronnie Genz rode under the name of Reg Neal when he appeared at Exeter during 1963/4 (?) when the old Provincial League was 'black' .

Bent Mudegaard -  real name Alan Hartley.

Still chat to Martin Ashby, Barry Duke, Mike Keen on the Swindon terraces. 

• Like 1

Always found Simon Wigg very amiable. I'm sure thousands would say the same.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, Split said:

Maybe we could start a list of riders who didn't ride under their real names. Igor Baranov and Kid Bodie come to mind. Raymond Arthur (BillyBales, Edwin Vernon (Chum) Taylor and of course Squire Francis (Split) Waterman are others.

Walter Elliot rode as Mark Hall for Berwick in 68/9.

I collect hundreds of riders autographs as a kid and the only person that ever refused to sign once was Barry Crowson. It was all dressed-up in a suit at the when Wimbledon raced against Coventry in the GBL in 1976 at Plough Lane I still remember it extremely well. I was standing outside the the pits exit on the grandstand aside when he refused to sign. Cyril Maidment came out form the pits and said to don't bother standing their you ca always go into the pits to get some autographs at it was the after the match before the second half started. Cyril and Barry went off to discuss something and I went into the pits and loads of autographs including Ole Olsen which made-up for Barry's refusal.

I did already have Barry's autograph though. If i remember correctly this was at the time when Barry had a dispute with Wimbledon because he wanted to ride gian for King's Lynn but Wimbledon put a £10,000 price tag on his services, and he never rode again officially as I'm aware off in British speedway.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, Robbie B said:

I collect hundreds of riders autographs as a kid and the only person that ever refused to sign once was Barry Crowson. It was all dressed-up in a suit at the when Wimbledon raced against Coventry in the GBL in 1976 at Plough Lane I still remember it extremely well. I was standing outside the the pits exit on the grandstand aside when he refused to sign. Cyril Maidment came out form the pits and said to don't bother standing their you ca always go into the pits to get some autographs at it was the after the match before the second half started. Cyril and Barry went off to discuss something and I went into the pits and loads of autographs including Ole Olsen which made-up for Barry's refusal.

I did already have Barry's autograph though. If i remember correctly this was at the time when Barry had a dispute with Wimbledon because he wanted to ride gian for King's Lynn but Wimbledon put a £10,000 price tag on his services, and he never rode again officially as I'm aware off in British speedway.

I have Barry's autograph Robbie when he rode for King's Lynn, Anders Michanek was the hardest autograph to get in my memory i  remember asking him when he was walking the track and he said after the meeting Anders did oblige later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I have Barry's autograph Robbie when he rode for King's Lynn, Anders Michanek was the hardest autograph to get in my memory i  remember asking him when he was walking the track and he said after the meeting Anders did oblige later.

I remember asking for Hasse Holmqvist's autograph  when he was leaning out of the window of the showers at Cowley.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, steve roberts said:

I remember asking for Hasse Holmqvist's autograph  when he was leaning out of the window of the showers at Cowley.

Was he wet? Remember just about getting Leigh Adams Sig at Worky about 15 years ago. I said I was from Swindon. He walked through a crowd of local kids without signing

Olle  Nygren . I chatted to him in the pits at Lakeside a few years back when he was 87 years young. He didnt deem to have aged, or changed at all. Still the Sam old Olle , full of opinions, and would talk to anybody . Great bloke.

Gentleman George Barclay was also one I often saw and spoke to at Lakeside. Lovely man always keen to help the young riders and ran the training school for a while.