British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GiveusaB

Birmingham v Leicester

Oh balls.  I don't get chance to get to many meetings and this was going to be one of them.

Interestingly it says a new date for the championship fixture is also to be postponed :D

14 minutes ago, Mr Bump said:

Interestingly it says a new date for the championship fixture is also to be postponed :D

It states that a new date will be announced

Bit early considering its a local derby and weather not due in until lunchtime and clearing about 6pm, they must have pretty accurate information to hand.

Will be congratulated if they are correct and pilloried if sun is shining at 7pm - who'd be a Promoter.

Would think Somerset will be off too as weather forecast there is even worse!

I had thought about making this my first visit to Perry Barr in a long time (2008), but with the Manchester derby on the TV I had decided against it.  Hopefully I'll be able to make the rematch.

It’s a very early call off for a local derby match it could have been left until 2/3pm without any hinderance to riders or fans. 

All the forecasts I can see say scattered showers light/ Moderate. Basically saying the slightest chance of rain & meetings are off at Birmingham.

I think this is called a tactical call off with Ryan Douglas declaring himself fit to race David Mason/ Lawrence Rogers felt Leicester would be too strong & another home loss would be disastrous for their fans.

Team changes to make Birmingham more competitive coming soon watch this space.

Edited by Lenny Lion

I think if Birmingham call off early enough, they don't pay rent. If they go past that point, and the match is off, they have to pay. Not sure what that time is.

I seem to recall getting to Birmingham in warm sunshine and finding the match off in the past. Never occurred to me to check as roads were dry.

Ive actually been at the stadium at Midday and walking on the track with a rider. Bright sunshine.

We left for a look around the Bull Ring only to get a call an hour later that its been called off!

Returned to stadium to collect the van and the track was looking absolutely perfect.Still brilliant sunshine.

Left for home, but had a call in the evening from friends saying all they had was a light shower at around 3pm.

17 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I think if Birmingham call off early enough, they don't pay rent. If they go past that point, and the match is off, they have to pay. Not sure what that time is.

I seem to recall getting to Birmingham in warm sunshine and finding the match off in the past. Never occurred to me to check as roads were dry.

Correct re the rent and I think things like insurance and paramedics etc.

The crowds at opening 2 Fixtures were OK but not great better than NL but not much better, and I think they would rather have a sunny night for what will probably be biggest gate of the season especially with Leicester flying.

Not heard anything from sensible sources re Team changes,  have heard various rumours on terraces with names like Wilson-Dean; Luke Becker, Mitchell D and Danyon Hulme....we will have to wait and see.

28 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

It’s a very early call off for a local derby match it could have been left until 2/3pm without any hinderance to riders or fans. 

All the forecasts I can see say scattered showers light/ Moderate. Basically saying the slightest chance of rain & meetings are off at Birmingham.

I think this is called a tactical call off with Ryan Douglas declaring himself fit to race David Mason/ Lawrence Rogers felt Leicester would be too strong & another home loss would be disastrous for their fans.

Team changes to make Birmingham more competitive coming soon watch this space.

(slightly off thread) We might not be anywhere near as strong as Leicester...….we've come from the National League and Leicester from the Prem, this surely helped team building/finances etc...

However, I don't think team changes are imminent at B'ham as we're a credible competitive team imo….(give the boys time to settle)

One thing that we do have that's far superior to Leicester and that's a race track! We will see far more entertaining/competitive speedway throughout the season....and that's what I pay my money for ! 

(on thread) The fans may not have far to travel.....but the owners/promotion/riders may have....coupled with the fact that there might be a fair few away for Easter hols (not to mention the 'Man chester derby' ….yawn yawn....)

The forecast is woeful and it's a good call imo.

One thing that we do have that's far superior to Leicester and that's a race track! We will see far moreentertaining/competitive speedway throughout the season....and that's what I pay my money for ! 

At no point did i mention about the racing or quality of it . But what I will say is having been to Redcar, Leicester, Sheffield , Belle Vue & Wolves over the weekend there was just as much passing at Leicester as all the others apart from Belle Vue.  Stewart has done wonders over the winter with the track & you can really race on it this season if you are brave enough to put the bike in the dirt. The Sheffield meeting was dire & it was criminal they didn’t water during the interval in 20 + degree heat.

Edited by Lenny Lion
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HGould said:

The crowds at opening 2 Fixtures were OK but not great better than NL but not much better, and I think they would rather have a sunny night for what will probably be biggest gate of the season especially with Leicester flying.

Not heard anything from sensible sources re Team changes,  have heard various rumours on terraces with names like Wilson-Dean; Luke Becker, Mitchell D and Danyon Hulme....we will have to wait and see.

Think there will always be rumours flying around especially with the current team despite them proving more than competitive as a unit than many expected (myself included). Obvious and easy swaps would be BWD & Hume in for Thomsen & Shanes which would offer a bit more top 5 clout whilst losing little off the tail BUT i very much doubt that any actual changes will be made yet.

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think there will always be rumours flying around especially with the current team despite them proving more than competitive as a unit than many expected (myself included). Obvious and easy swaps would be BWD & Hume in for Thomsen & Shanes which would offer a bit more top 5 clout whilst losing little off the tail BUT i very much doubt that any actual changes will be made yet.

Think we will need to move quickly for BW-D as strong rumours at Eastbourne were that they were going to bring him in to replace Morley before new averages come out as they would have no chance to do after it, might just be wishful fans tittle tattle though.

30 minutes ago, HGould said:

I agree, i was there for the Somerset meeting last week. The racing was great,  but the crowd was poor considering the good weather and the school holidays. I don't blame the Mason's for pulling the plug tonight. When it rains, the fans don't come

• Like 2