British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ZagarRacing

PSC • Ipswich Witches v Swindon Robins • 25/04

8 hours ago, Tactical Joker said:

Enjoyed all three meetings I’ve seen at Ipswich this season, let’s hope the entertainment continues and more come through the turnstiles.

Are crowd sizes up from last season?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Spot on if you can keep picking up points on the road that will put put us in great stead for the rest of the season.Hope we stick with our reserves for as long as possible because if they can start picking up say 8 points between them that will make a huge difference.How long will Alun wait? his record of giving rider's his backing is well known and he will not press the panick button.

8 points from your reserves? No chance. Swindon’s problems were laid bare last night. Ipswich don’t have anywhere near the same top end strength but we’re never troubled. Reserves win meetings as Allen proved last night.

• Haha 1

Swindon’s reserves will be their achilles heel all season but they faced the leagues strongest pair last night, probably better to judge them properly after a few more home meetings against the other sides. Swindon are hardly struggling as a team so far but one change if the opportunity arises could turn them into league winners. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

8 points from your reserves? No chance. Swindon’s problems were laid bare last night. Ipswich don’t have anywhere near the same top end strength but we’re never troubled. Reserves win meetings as Allen proved last night.

So what is Poole's excuse then?

3 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

So what is Poole's excuse then?

No excuse. A crap performance.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Are crowd sizes up from last season?

Yes quite considerably up which I’m surprised about. 

We have a team that works as a team and although we won’t be topping the table we are getting lots of effort and entertainment. I think we will do well at home and get several thrashings away. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

8 points from Swindons reserves in most meetings will win them the league

Doyle , Batch and Musi will get 30-35 points most meetings  if not more so if Swindons reserves get 8 thats 38-43 and then the other 2 riders hardly need to score much.

If you build a weak 1-5 like Poole then no, 8 points from your reserves is not enough.........as proved in Pooles home meeting v Swindon.

A top heavy side like Swindon will walk the league if the reserves score 8

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gavan said:

8 points from Swindons reserves in most meetings will win them the league

Doyle , Batch and Musi will get 30-35 points most meetings  if not more so if Swindons reserves get 8 thats 38-43 and then the other 2 riders hardly need to score much.

If you build a weak 1-5 like Poole then no, 8 points from your reserves is not enough.........as proved in Pooles home meeting v Swindon.

A top heavy side like Swindon will walk the league if the reserves score 8

That they would - I like both Shanes and zach, both hard working and have ability but look a long way from getting 8pts between regularly at this level at the moment.

they're both still at second string/reserve in the championship so even at that level it’s not their job to beat the likes of covatti, Heeps, Allen, Jacobsen, Barker, summers,  palm toft etc. And if they do it’s a good ride and a big well done to them, yet that’s who they’re coming up against at reserve in top flight and then in that scenario it is their job to beat these guys....tough on them and don’t know if it actually helps their development or not at this stage?!

can’t dispute the top end strength of Swindon for sure but you’ve only got to have a couple of off nights for one of them and they’re vulnerable home or away - there is no plan b if they’re not firing!

Taking a look through the Witches scorers last night 

Bomber, maybe one too many meetings too quickly after his injury, should be scoring at least double figures as no1 on his own track. 

David, struggling at the moment and needs to buck his ideas up if he wants a full quota of rides every week. Probably not too long before he ends up at reserve. 

Danny, definitely got issues this season, just doesn't seem to have any speed or gating to pick up enough points at the moment. Needs to work his problems out ASAP. 

Krystian, certainly a tryer who doesn't give up, puts himself about and I'm sure will come good in time. 

Richard, well he is who he is and seems to rely a lot on gating and doesn't do a lot of passing unfortunately. 

Cam, after a blistering start to the season seemed a bit subdued last night, everyone can have an off night, keep up the good work lad. 

Jake, what a star of the show and a phenomenal ride to take the maximum off Mr Doyle, maybe just one too many rides though, must have been knackered. 

Disappointing to allow Swindon to pick up a point on the night having controlled most of the meeting. 

Swindons strong top end gained them the point that probably secures them top spot in the Supporter's Cup group, I'm sure they will certainly be there or thereabouts in the league come the end of the season. 

First trip to Foxhall and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Cracking ride from Adam when we needed it in heat 14. Don't think Jason will be team riding for a while again as he definitely looked across to see Lampart before Allen swooped passed them both. Still he had 3 and a half laps to pass Jake and couldn't. Good ride from Jake.

i was at the wrong angle to know if Batch had a justifiable reason to be so unhappy with KP though I see one poster on here thought he might. I did see Heeps lose control and side swipe Tobi but with no one coming down the race was never going to be stopped. The same way King was always going to go when Batch went sideways, very similar to the Lampart Josh G incident at Swindon v Poole.

Doyle was class and wheelying in victory in a couple of heats. Tobi was on top form not sure if his first ride incident fired him up. Great first and second bend in heat 15 when Lawson tried to take him wide. We had all the Batchs on display and as previously said when we needed him Adam came up trumps. Lampart went from not being able to turn to being competitive if not scoring too many points. The two reserves struggled and Zach so far isn't gating like he did last year. Be interesting to see when they meet lesser averaged reserves.

On Ipswich side Allen was superb. Nothing is going right for Bellego, because it definitely looked like he thought the race would be stopped when Shanes fell. 

Finally, very friendly bunch of Ipswich fans near me and some good banter and a wish for my safe journey home. Only got back at 3am after dropping son off in London but well worth it.

Edited by Anzum
Correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anzum said:

i was at the wrong angle to know if Batch had a justifiable reason to be so unhappy with KP though I see one poster on here thought he might. I did see Heeps lose control and side swipe Tobi but with no one coming down the race was never going to be stopped. 

From my viewpoint yes batch had right be unhappy with KP - he’d lost momentum locking up on 4th bend but just turned left on batch anyway going into 1st bend - it was pretty dangerous and credit to batch for his bike control to avoid a big crash - a lesser rider would’ve t-boned KP, I’m sure some may say KP was in front so can ride whatever line you want but you have to be safe as well - I’m all for hard riding but also fair. That being said I don’t think KP was being dirty as such he knew he cocked up on the 4th bend and I think dived across out of desperation to hold the position before he’d thought about it - seemed quite apologetic after the race knowing it was a silly move - but understandably batch was defiant as the red mist had well and truly descended upon him as a result of him probably being pretty sh!t up by the incident!  

tobi in my opinion had no reason to be upset, there will always be some contact sometimes when racing closely, especially in first couple of bends - in this case the contact was right in front of me - appeared minor and didn’t really affect his momentum,  having not been to Foxhall before I think he was caught unawares by Cameron cutting back and generating so much speed up the inside off of the second - a common Foxhall manoeuvre 

glad to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Foxhall, it’s a long way from Swindon so nice that it was a worthwhile trip!

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

That they would - I like both Shanes and zach, both hard working and have ability but look a long way from getting 8pts between regularly at this level at the moment.

they're both still at second string/reserve in the championship so even at that level it’s not their job to beat the likes of covatti, Heeps, Allen, Jacobsen, Barker, summers,  palm toft etc. And if they do it’s a good ride and a big well done to them, yet that’s who they’re coming up against at reserve in top flight and then in that scenario it is their job to beat these guys....tough on them and don’t know if it actually helps their development or not at this stage?!

can’t dispute the top end strength of Swindon for sure but you’ve only got to have a couple of off nights for one of them and they’re vulnerable home or away - there is no plan b if they’re not firing!

Agree. Swindon’s top 5 is strong but they all need to click all the time, otherwise it’s a struggle. Poole proved that with the draw at Blunsdon and looking the better team all night. Swindon’s reserves were completely tailed off against Covatti and Jakobsen. Last night it was the same at Ipswich and Swindon’s reserves again failed to beat an opponent, other than what was gifted. The Robins will struggle without changes and won’t win the league with this lineup.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 1

Saw Batch suddenly slow when I thought he was going through to lead. Enjoyed night and even further if you live in Gloucester. Probably won't go to the first league meeting but may go to the second one if it is an important one for play off qualification. 

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Agree. Swindon’s top 5 is strong but they all need to click all the time, otherwise it’s a struggle. Poole proved that with the draw at Blunsdon and looking the better team all night. Swindon’s reserves were completely tailed off against Covatti and Jakobsen. Last night it was the same at Ipswich and Swindon’s reserves again failed to beat an opponent, other than what was gifted. The Robins will struggle without changes and won’t win the league with this lineup.

If all teams keep the same line ups then in my opinion Swindon will win the league. The top 3 will score more than enough to cover the rest most of the time.

Cant read to much into the Swindon v Poole meeting as no riders knew the track........and Swindon had the bad luck in that meeting as well...... Swindon soon made light work of the Poole side in the return

Swindon have rode 5 matches and their heat leaders have scored

As you can see from that they dont need much from the other 4 to win a meeting and in most cases Ellis is always good for 6.

In the match where the heat leaders scored 30, Lampart and Ellis scored 18 between them

Look at Poole and Ipswich heat leaders in comparison

23,17,31,21,24 for Poole

29,14,23,18,19 for Ipswich

Both Poole and Ipswich reliant on reserves doing well and if they dont the team will always be beaten

It just happens that Ipswich reserves are flying 17,19,17,14,20........and like last night v Swindon we have reserves scoring 20 and still only win by 6.

Poole are struggling because they have built strength in depth but unlike Ipswich their reserves havent been as good 13,13,7,12,9............if you build strength in depth you need the reserves to pop up with 15 plus

Swindon will win most meetings and keep most away meetings close which is the recipe to win the league. Only Belle Vue and Wolves look like troubling them 

Dogfight for 4th between Ipswich and Lynn with Poole and Peterborough looking also rans..........but rider changes can make a difference

• Like 2
  • Haha 1