British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

IOW vs Mildenhall NT 25/4/19

26 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

After the brilliant Fen Tigers team of last season. This years side has a very different feel about it.

Not so brilliant :unsure:

19 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Not so brilliant :unsure:

To go the whole season undefeated in the league is a brilliant feat, even if they did lose the play off final.

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

To go the whole season undefeated in the league is a brilliant feat, even if they did lose the play off final.

They were brilliant through the year, although it was Easties season long plan that did them in the end, did get lost in text a bit, I did mean this year's team aren't so brilliant, but as usual in speedway, almost impossible to follow a brilliant season with another one, as success means stripping a team, especially with the usual points reduction every year. 

Edited by gazzac

8 minutes ago, gazzac said:

They were brilliant through the year, although it was Easties season long plan that did them in the end, did get lost in text a bit, I did mean this year's team aren't so brilliant, but as usual in speedway, almost impossible to follow a brilliant season with another one, as success means stripping a team, especially with the usual points reduction every year. 

As an Arlington regular, i know exactly what you mean!

Was always going to be difficult to reproduce last year's team with the poor lower point limit. 

With regards to Vasey he is well liked amongst the Mildenhall fans from his previous stint as announcer years ago. Was a popular choice to take over as team manager. 

With regards to Wallinger. I've no idea what went on last night, I wasn't there so can't comment. He looked good on Sunday though. I'm sure he will put things right this week

• Like 1

He had a horrific crash on the island a couple of years ago. That might have been playing on his mind.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

He had a horrific crash on the island a couple of years ago. That might have been playing on his mind.

I did think that, didn't he go through the boards on the backstraight, so no small accident.

Hopefully iow can avoid injuries and losing riders to other commitments this year. Winning most of thier home meetings and picking the odd point ip away should secure a first ever play off place for the new promotion. And I dont think there is anyone in speedway that we begrudge the Warriors some much deserved on track success.

Mildenhall will always go well at home, but away Danny Ayres may lack the back up required. Marson went well especially the second half of last season and will surely add further strength to the side on the road.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gazzac said:

What did them in the end was injury, not Eastbourne. 

The loss of Ayres, in particular, was a disastrous blow from which they never recovered. 

10 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Was always going to be difficult to reproduce last year's team with the poor lower point limit. 

With regards to Vasey he is well liked amongst the Mildenhall fans from his previous stint as announcer years ago. Was a popular choice to take over as team manager. 

With regards to Wallinger. I've no idea what went on last night, I wasn't there so can't comment. He looked good on Sunday though. I'm sure he will put things right this week

I think with a 50 point limit Mildenhall wouldn't have built a team like that again. It was just superb and viciously cruel the way it was cut apart by the loss of riders.

It must be said that those RR choices on Thursday night were bizarre. 

It would, however, be harsh to write off Wallinger's season on the basis of one poor meeting.  

Edited by Halifaxtiger

17 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

What did them in the end was injury, not Eastbourne. 

The loss of Ayres, in particular, was a disastrous blow from which they never recovered. 

I think with a 50 point limit Mildenhall wouldn't have built a team like that again. It was just superb and viciously cruel the way it was cut apart by the loss of riders.

It must be said that those RR choices on Thursday night were bizarre. 

It would, however, be harsh to write off Wallinger's season on the basis of one poor meeting.  

I agree. The RR selections were quite odd. When you have RR at 2 you do tend to go a certain way with your reserve in heat 1 and your highest average rider in heat 8 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I did think that, didn't he go through the boards on the backstraight, so no small accident.

He did, i was at the meeting. He laid on the track for nearly an hour because the paramedic was reluctant to move him. He came out of the bend and straightened up. It was a nasty incident.

19 hours ago, gazzac said:

Injuries and missing riders "did for" Mildenhall not Eastbourne's "season long plan" .....if they have had a full and fit team it would have been a different result, but hey that's speedway for you, the system with play offs does not have any regard for justice 

1 hour ago, AntiqueSteve said:

Injuries and missing riders "did for" Mildenhall not Eastbourne's "season long plan" .....if they have had a full and fit team it would have been a different result, but hey that's speedway for you, the system with play offs does not have any regard for justice 

Easties season long plan was stated by Connor Dugard at the start of the season to build a team that would improve throughout the year, get to the playoffs and Ko cup final hoping as usual to be safe and injury free. Think that was a plan well executed by the team. More than likely a full Mildenhall team could  have won the play off, but I would say the result "may" have been different not would have, as Eastie were on fire at that point of the season and disregarding the injuries, a couple of Mildenhall riders had gone off the boil slightly, we'll never know and the record will always show Eastie as League and KO cup winners. As for the playoffs more often than not they are never fair, don't forget Eastie lost the first ever playoff having dominated the Elite league in 2002, being left without a match for a month as the league toppers went straight to the final  leaving us "cold" to face Wolves who progressed through the semis, dropped that idea after one season. 

What I'm really saying is speedway is always on the edge of being unfair,  but all things came together for Eastie last season at long last. 

Edited by gazzac

If sport was fair, the people with all the money and best equipment would win every sport. It's the surprises, upsets, and controversy that keeps us all engaged.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

If sport was fair, the people with all the money and best equipment would win every sport. It's the surprises, upsets, and controversy that keeps us all engaged.

Agree, that's really part of what I meant, always hits hard when it goes against you, and sweet when it goes right, had our fair share of both at Eastie. Never has the saying 'what goes around comes around ' applied to anything more than speedway I suppose.