British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andout

World Games 1985

Just interested / curious in knowing something about this Speedway event at Wimbledon.

All I can find out is Speedway was a "Demonstration" sport......no idea of the format or who was in it.

The format was just a standard best pairs featuring some pairings from BL teams. The pairs were : Kelvin Tatum/Tommy Knudsen, Jan Andersson/Mitch Shirra, Jeremy Doncaster/John Cook, Hans Nielsen/Marvyn Cox, Kenny Carter/Larry Ross, Jan O. Pedersen/Alan Grahame, and Neil Collins/Shawn Moran.

Doncaster and Cook won, and there is some footage of the meeting on YouTube.

Steve

Graham started a thread on this in July 2005. There are a couple of clips on youtube.

• Like 1

chunky just beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

The format was just a standard best pairs featuring some pairings from BL teams. The pairs were : Kelvin Tatum/Tommy Knudsen, Jan Andersson/Mitch Shirra, Jeremy Doncaster/John Cook, Hans Nielsen/Marvyn Cox, Kenny Carter/Larry Ross, Jan O. Pedersen/Alan Grahame, and Neil Collins/Shawn Moran.

Doncaster and Cook won, and there is some footage of the meeting on YouTube.

Steve

...and apparently, if I recall, the announcer was giving out mis-information as regards some of the competing/non competing riders to add confusion to the proceedings. Ken Tozer?

• Like 1

Wasn't it staged on a weekday afternoon, therefore in an almost empty stadium?

Thanks Guys.....much appreciated......Good 'ol Ken Tozer.....remember him 'fraid I was NOT a fan of his announcing.

12 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Wasn't it staged on a weekday afternoon, therefore in an almost empty stadium?

I seem to remember it being a Wednesday afternooon?

I thought it was just a normal race night? Was there and it wasn’t particularly special or hyped and didn’t really feel like it was part of something ‘ big’ , if you can call the World Games big

Also the meeting was renowned for the shoddiest programme ever produced in British speedway

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

I thought it was just a normal race night? Was there and it wasn’t particularly special or hyped and didn’t really feel like it was part of something ‘ big’ , if you can call the World Games big

I think you're right (Thursday) as Oxford were racing at home the following night (Friday) and Hans Nielsen was recoverig from an ankle injury picked up on the continent hence his less than usual dominant performance at Plough Lane.

Edited by steve roberts

It was a normal race night and the meeting attracted a decent crowd. The programme was an awful glossy brochure covering a multitude of sports with a plain racecard inserted inside.