British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

RACE COMMENTARY?

I'd like British promoters to try commentary on races during meetings, do you think it would work/be good for the atmosphere? I'd particularly like to know what young people think... 

I think it would be really helpful for newbies..... 

With the right person doing it I could imagine it working quite well but I can also see plenty of folk not liking the idea. 

Speedway is four blokes going round in circles - how much commentary does it really need? I am always baffled at the innate ramblings of the commentators on TV, having it at meetings would be even worse.

How often do you see a piece of great television or a scene in a film set to an uplifting piece of music?  If you want to make the racing more exciting, why not try having music during heats.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know if it was something that would go down well with the younger audience, although I doubt it.   They'd probably prefer an app on their phone which shows them who is winning in real time with graphics and stats.

As an oldtimer, I certainly wouldn't want race commentary.  I've seen it tried before (even when I was young) and I always found it annoying.

For something like Stock Cars, where you have no idea who is winning, commentary is necessary.  And other motorsports where you can't see the whole circuit.   

But in speedway you can see the whole track and it's obvious who is winning.  Speedway is more like football.  You can see the whole arena and what's happening, so you wouldn't want John Motson down your earhole while trying to watch the match.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

With the right person doing it I could imagine it working quite well but I can also see plenty of folk not liking the idea. 

Me too LOL, I remember Ashley Jones commentating on a race at the end of the 2005 season, it was great fun and definitely added to the race :D  It would definitely be great for the kids who would be better engaged imho ..... ask Phoebe lol

• Like 2

Dave Lanning used to do live commentary at Plough Lane I recall.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Did people enjoy it?  Obnviously it's not an easy job ......

Commentating during a live speedway race is idiotic!  We can see what is going on, so why do we need to be told?  That is even when they get it right ...

• Like 1

I also think it's a daft idea ,when we can clearly see what is happening. Also, would we be able to hear above the noise of the bikes, plus in some parts of a stadium we cannot always hear the race result being announced. Might it also cause noise problems with the neighbours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Commentating during a live speedway race is idiotic!  We can see what is going on, so why do we need to be told?  That is even when they get it right ...

You don't think it would be good for the kids who are the future of the sport, often they are just not engaged with the racing unless encouraged.  Of course we can see what's going on, it's all about the atmosphere though, a commentator can build up excitement etc imo ....  

No-one mentioned Peter York yet? :D Having put up with him at Coventry for several seasons commenting on each race my answer is definitely NO it is not needed and is damn annoying. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Very true. I think like so many things, some liked it, some didn't.

In this day and age surely it wouldn't be too difficult to have a race commentary app, that those who are interested in could listen to via their phones or a headset. When I go to Premiership or international rugby games you can buy a Ref Link and listen in to everything the ref is saying. I'm sure a commentary option would be doable - perhaps the issue is scale of investment to make it worthwhile

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gemini said:

No-one mentioned Peter York yet? :D Having put up with him at Coventry for several seasons commenting on each race my answer is definitely NO it is not needed and is damn annoying.

He used to try and initiate it at Cowley but I found his commentary somewhat patronising on occasions.

1 hour ago, Trees said:

it's all about the atmosphere though, a commentator can build up excitement etc imo ....  

Indeed a good commentator can add to the atmosphere but a poor one can be a pain to put up with. 

Mostly at the AFA I would like to be able to clearly hear the race results and especially any interviews, which unless you find a sweet spot are invariably still inaudible.

Edited by waytogo28