British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

RACE COMMENTARY?

It's a pity Wally Loake isn't with us now, there was a man who could " paint a picture with  words "when it came to race commentary. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Dave Lanning used to do live commentary at Plough Lane I recall.

and Arena Essex

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

No-one mentioned Peter York yet? :D Having put up with him at Coventry for several seasons commenting on each race my answer is definitely NO it is not needed and is damn annoying. 

Damn annoying hardly does it justice - and of course most of the time he got the facts and figures wrong! 

• Haha 1

Every so often someone brings this idea up and every time the response is broadly the same.

A completely silly idea - please, no-one ever bring this idea up again.

• Like 1

Like others have said, doing it live at the track like you'd be doing it for tv sounds stupid because it's all there to see.:blink:

Still, I've been an announcer twice and and the way I've done it is that when the green light goes on I've quit talking and when the riders start the 3rd lap I've started talking again. Given the names and standings… Nothing too much but something so the first timers would get some idea. This has been my solution to a question I've pondered for the past umpteen years...

In theory it might be good unfortunately the reality as far as I have witnessed is annoying. Egon Müller does it at a few tracks and a guy who calls himself ‘the voice’ also does some tracks. Both get on my nerves for differing reasons. We even had one announcer from Denmark as a member here a few years back

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Indeed a good commentator can add to the atmosphere but a poor one can be a pain to put up with. 

Mostly at the AFA I would like to be able to clearly hear the race results and especially any interviews, which unless you find a sweet spot are invariably still inaudible.

I know it's not the best, I will say something again. Was the same on the backstraight at Peterborough, the speakers they used to have were so much better. 

11 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Like others have said, doing it live at the track like you'd be doing it for tv sounds stupid because it's all there to see.:blink:

Still, I've been an announcer twice and and the way I've done it is that when the green light goes on I've quit talking and when the riders start the 3rd lap I've started talking again. Given the names and standings… Nothing too much but something so the first timers would get some idea. This has been my solution to a question I've pondered for the past umpteen years...

That to me is the compromise solution..

For me it would be as they enter the last lap to build up a bit of tension and atmosphere...

"Can 'x' get past 'y'?", "If it stays like this 'x' are 'y' points ahead with 'z' races left" etc etc..

Not many could carry a commentary for four laps effectively and as many have said,  at lots of tracks you cannot hear anyone anyway in parts of the stadium..

Plus someone telling you what you are seeing isnt going to add to the entertainment, on TV things might happen off screen which gives value to the commentary. .

IT takes a very special person to successfully commentate on motor sport and a very, very special person to be able to do it on a one minute speedway race.  Not for me I'm afraid.....

Ian Jones at Wolverhampton shouts his way through the last lap of most of the races at Monmore - and it is really irritating. With the noise of the bikes and a very loud PA it is virtually impossible to make out what he is saying, so the whole operation is totally pointless. Peter York used to do something similar at Coventry, and even if it were audible, where is the sense in telling people in the crowd something that they can see perfectly well for themselves?

If speedway tracks were a mile in circumference there might be a case for it, but not when the whole of the race is visible to everyone.

• Like 2

I remember some years ago in a Wolves/Brummies match, Porky was bawling as Freddie Lindgren led on the last corner: he was practically having orgasms about the Super Duper Super Swede, but then Brummies guest Scott Nicholls beat him on the line to win ... Porky didn't stop roaring about the Super Duper Turnip, though!

• Haha 2

A few years ago at the Cardiff GP, you could purchase earpieces like you get at test match cricket, which is a commentary feed. I actually quite enjoyed it, the only downside for me is, I don't like earpieces!! Not sure if it was a regular thing, as I have been a flag Marshall at the last 6 or 7 Cardiff GP's.

7 hours ago, *JJ said:

I remember some years ago in a Wolves/Brummies match, Porky was bawling as Freddie Lindgren led on the last corner: he was practically having orgasms about the Super Duper Super Swede, but then Brummies guest Scott Nicholls beat him on the line to win ... Porky didn't stop roaring about the Super Duper Turnip, though!

I like Porkie, he does a really good job, he has a close audience which helps a lot but he is good at what he does ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

I like Porkie, he does a really good job, he has a close audience which helps a lot but he is good at what he does ...

I think you're on your own on this one! Live speedway commentary does not work. It's as irritating as having someone give a running commentary whilst you're watching something on TV. (I'm not thinking of my Father-in-Law at all). At least though I can throw the remote or any suitable heavy object at him to shut him up, you don't get that option with Porkie et al.

Imagine the horror of having to choose between listening to Porkie or Peter York commentate on the racing.... On a par with having to choose between contracting rabies or anthrax

• Like 1