British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

RACE COMMENTARY?

On 4/26/2019 at 12:24 PM, Gemini said:

No-one mentioned Peter York yet? :D Having put up with him at Coventry for several seasons commenting on each race my answer is definitely NO it is not needed and is damn annoying. 

You beat me to it. He was bloody awful!

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, steve roberts said:

He used to try and initiate it at Cowley but I found his commentary somewhat patronising on occasions.

Only on occasions Steve!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trees said:

I like Porkie, he does a really good job, he has a close audience which helps a lot but he is good at what he does ...

So do I: he is a really excellent presenter. EXCEPT for his habit of commentating! And the way he puts down the opposition.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:48 AM, Trees said:

I'd like British promoters to try commentary on races during meetings, do you think it would work/be good for the atmosphere? I'd particularly like to know what young people think... 

Definitely not. There's nothing more irritating then a commentator who doesn't know when to shut his gob. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, *JJ said:

So do I: he is a really excellent presenter. EXCEPT for his habit of commentating! And the way he puts down the opposition.

So not really excellent at all.

When Race Video did the filming at Hackney and Arena Essex, I did the commentary for Russell Williams as I knew him through doing Stock Car commentating around the country. 

I always did the Speedway commentary live and I have to say it was far harder than doing Stock Cars! With my experience from back then I would be only too happy to do more for the cars but I think I would avoid the job when the bikes are racing! 

18 hours ago, brandonmole said:

So not really excellent at all.

On and off ... I saw an individual cometition (British final?) at Monmore Green where he did an outstanding job, but he didn't indulge in his usual annoying tricks.  I once wrote in the Brummies forum that they should send the Perry Barr presenter to MG to see how Porky (no relation!) creates atmosphere for the fans (instead of standing in the middle of the centre green with his nose in his programme).

7 minutes ago, *JJ said:

On and off ... I saw an individual cometition (British final?) at Monmore Green where he did an outstanding job, but he didn't indulge in his usual annoying tricks.  I once wrote in the Brummies forum that they should send the Perry Barr presenter to MG to see how Porky (no relation!) creates atmosphere for the fans (instead of standing in the middle of the centre green with his nose in his programme).

Ryan is a young lad who is only just starting out give him a break. 

A friend of mine was heavily involved with an app in development, that was to provide live commentary from less media covered sports. I believe she invested an awful lot of money and time into the venture, but as time when on the programmer who was solely interested in football, basically made an app for non league football and speedway never featured and my friends fingers got burnt.

What I do think if the initial outlay is not too expensive, is some kind of commentary to head sets. Much like what you used to get at cardiff. People wishing to have race commentary would simply purchase or hire a headset at the turnstiles and listen in. Probably not viable with current crowd levels but maybe worth trialling at matches with guaranteed big gates, like the British final or play off matches. (For those matches you could surely just plug into the bt sports audio??)

But commentary over the horrible tinny sound systems at many tracks is gonna be inaudible inside the stadium, and carry a fair distance towards neighbour's homes.

In the latest planning battles at Kent, some residents cited the running commentary as unbearable and prevent conversations in the back garden from 6.30-8.30 every Monday, but like as this thread suggests, we have never had race commentary, and I often have to text Derek and Glenn in the box to ask for race times etc because the Pa is so patchy. Imagine the complaints if it actually work.....

• Like 1

Back in the early months of Mr Machin's time at Owlerton,Tiger to be Lee Redmond's father was over from Australia (where he did live commentary on races) and he did a couple of

races.While it was ok as a novelty ,I don't think it would have lasted long before people got annoyed by it!