British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Newcastle 27.04.19

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Another meeting they could have run

Admittedly the rain didn't arrived until late this evening, but how many people would have ventured out tonight in temperatures of 5 or 6 degrees, with a howling gale that's been bending the trees in half all day? Far better to make an early decision & run it on Sunday with temperatures forecast to be in the early teens & a dry day expected. Common sense prevails for once.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, stevethelion said:

Admittedly the rain didn't arrived until late this evening, but how many people would have ventured out tonight in temperatures of 5 or 6 degrees, with a howling gale that's been bending the trees in half all day? Far better to make an early decision & run it on Sunday with temperatures forecast to be in the early teens & a dry day expected. Common sense prevails for once.

Yes it does... But some people still feel the need to complain... Typical speedway fans I think, always negative and always have something to moan about, no matter how positive something is... THAT in itself is killing the sport just as much as the BSPA is... Negativity spreads like wildfire

• Like 4

Is Steve Worrall riding in this? Or is he riding in some meeting abroad? 

I think the rescheduling of this meeting has been excellently handled.

My guess is a better crowd today than would have turned up last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Yes it does... But some people still feel the need to complain... Typical speedway fans I think, always negative and always have something to moan about, no matter how positive something is... THAT in itself is killing the sport just as much as the BSPA is... Negativity spreads like wildfire

Well, a hope it doesn't rain today :(

4 hours ago, Dandelion said:

It wasn't a complaint... just a statement of fact :)

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Is Steve Worrall riding in this? Or is he riding in some meeting abroad? 

I very much doubt Newcastle would have agreed to the change of date if Steve was unavailable as we wouldn't be allowed a facility, other than a 2.00 NL rider. 

According to the SGB website he rides.

11 minutes ago, leander said:

I very much doubt Newcastle would have agreed to the change of date if Steve was unavailable as we wouldn't be allowed a facility, other than a 2.00 NL rider. 

According to the SGB website he rides.

Yeah that’s what I thought was he riding abroad last night then? I seen him Harris & Ellis were meant to be riding abroad last night but no mention of it anywhere else.

13 hours ago, iainb said:

Another meeting they could have run

They are running it tonight, so where's the problem?

Speedway GB on Twitter wished Stevie ,Bomber & Ellis good luck in the European championship qualifier but only bomber rode in Gorican Ellis in Poznań .speedway updates only covered these too meetings . No mention of stevie

5 minutes ago, Diamondlil said:

Speedway GB on Twitter wished Stevie ,Bomber & Ellis good luck in the European championship qualifier but only bomber rode in Gorican Ellis in Poznań .speedway updates only covered these too meetings . No mention of stevie

Worrall is in the Krsko round on Wednesday

LEICESTER open their Championship campaign against Newcastle today (Sunday, 5.30pm) in a meeting put back by just under 24 hours.

The Lions reacted to Saturday’s poor weather conditions by swiftly re-arranging the meeting which features two full-strength sides.

British Under-21 Final third-place finisher Jack Thomas is available for the hosts, whilst the Diamonds include three ex-Leicester men in Lasse Bjerre, Simon Lambert and Max Clegg.

Lions boss Stewart Dickson said: “They will cause us problems and I’m expecting a tough match.

“It should be entertaining for the fans who are quite rightly enjoying their racing right now because we have given them a winning team.

“It’s great to have gone on a winning run and the win at Sheffield was a bit special, but we have to put that to the back of our minds now and focus on Newcastle.”

LEICESTER: Scott Nicholls, Ellis Perks, Josh Bates, Ryan Douglas, Richie Worrall, Jack Thomas, Connor Mountain.
NEWCASTLE: Steve Worrall, Simon Lambert, Lasse Bjerre, Matthew Wethers, Thomas Jorgensen, Max Clegg, Danny Phillips

32 minutes ago, StevePark said:

They are running it tonight, so where's the problem?

The problem is... If you're going to start cancelling meetings based on weather forecasts you may as well do away with the fixture list.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

The problem is... If you're going to start cancelling meetings based on weather forecasts you may as well do away with the fixture list.

:rofl:

Undoubtedly one of the most stupid comments I have ever seen on this forum. 

Ignoring weather forecasts means that you go ahead no matter what -  even if it is almost certainly the case that the meeting will be postponed or abandoned, costing the staging club thousands. 

One NL promoter told me he lost £4,000 when unpredicted rain washed out a meeting with riders at the track. He went on to say that another would endanger its very existence.

Clubs simply have to have regard of forecasts, no matter how contradictory or subsequently inaccurate they might be.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iainb said:

58 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

:rofl:

Undoubtedly one of the most stupid comments I have ever seen on this forum. 

Ignoring weather forecasts means that you go ahead no matter what -  even if it is almost certainly the case that the meeting will be postponed or abandoned, costing the staging club thousands. 

One NL promoter told me he lost £4,000 when unpredicted rain washed out a meeting with riders at the track. He went on to say that another would endanger its very existence.

Clubs simply have to have regard of forecasts, no matter how contradictory or subsequently inaccurate they might be.

I've said it before and I will say it again (more than once probably), promoters can't win.   If they go ahead and the forecast is spot on, it's "well, that was never going to happen, the forecast said so."  Otherwise it's the comment above by iainb .

• Like 1