British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Newcastle 27.04.19

easy home win for me

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

I've said it before and I will say it again (more than once probably), promoters can't win.   If they go ahead and the forecast is spot on, it's "well, that was never going to happen, the forecast said so."  Otherwise it's the comment above by iainb .

If fans start looking at forecast a few days before and make their own assertions of the weather and make other plans Promotions can’t  really have any complaints ,it’s a sad reflection of where the sport has gone. Even the Promotions know the riders will complain about track conditions unless the dust is flying.Its a no win situation.

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

:rofl:

Undoubtedly one of the most stupid comments I have ever seen on this forum. 

Ignoring weather forecasts means that you go ahead no matter what -  even if it is almost certainly the case that the meeting will be postponed or abandoned, costing the staging club thousands. 

One NL promoter told me he lost £4,000 when unpredicted rain washed out a meeting with riders at the track. He went on to say that another would endanger its very existence.

Clubs simply have to have regard of forecasts, no matter how contradictory or subsequently inaccurate they might be.

Thanks for going back and editing your original post to throw some abuse at me... You can't run a sport, especially in this country, based on weather forecasts as they invariably change as time moves on. You may not have anything else going on in your life but many others do and make plans around fixtures... The clue is in the name.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Thanks for going back and editing your original post to throw some abuse at me... You can't run a sport, especially in this country, based on weather forecasts as they invariably change as time moves on. You may not have anything else going on in your life but many others do and make plans around fixtures... The clue is in the name.

Never been personally abusive on this forum and never will be. Criticising - sometimes strongly - someone else's opinion, however, is something that I do on occasion.

Every single speedway fan that attends a meeting will check the forecast before they leave their home and what it says will often determine whether they go or not. We see that on countless occasions on threads throughout the BSF. 

No-one would deny that forecasts can be contradictory, changeable, inaccurate and even bizarre.

But to suggest that they should be treated as irrelevant or ignored in a sport that depends so much on weather conditions and to run meetings regardless of what they say when a postponement at the track is financially ruinous is ridiculous. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I think Leicester only postponed the meeting, because Newcastle had agreed to ride on the Sunday if need be. If riding it today hadn't been an option I'm sure they would have given it the best chance to go ahead on Saturday & would have probably got it in ( or at least 10 heats) before the rain came late in the evening. Having the option to ride today just made it an easy & sensible decision really.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

I think Leicester only postponed the meeting, because Newcastle had agreed to ride on the Sunday if need be. If riding it today hadn't been an option I'm sure they would have given it the best chance to go ahead on Saturday & would have probably got it in ( or at least 10 heats) before the rain came late in the evening. Having the option to ride today just made it an easy & sensible decision really.

That does not show consideration for the fans if that is the case.IMO

Speedway race day is a Saturday fans plan there weekend accordingly.

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Never been personally abusive on this forum and never will be. Criticising - sometimes strongly - someone else's opinion, however, is something that I do on occasion.

Every single speedway fan that attends a meeting will check the forecast before they leave their home and what it says will often determine whether they go or not. We see that on countless occasions on threads throughout the BSF. 

No-one would deny that forecasts can be contradictory, changeable, inaccurate and even bizarre.

But to suggest that they should be treated as irrelevant or ignored in a sport that depends so much on weather conditions and to run meetings regardless of what they say when a postponement at the track is financially ruinous is ridiculous. 

You should see how many are here... Financially ruinous

33 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The fans have voted with their feet... Some others think they know better though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Are you saying that challenging the fans to come in the rain and getting 10 heats in, is a greater consideration of the fans than not to risk it and holding it the following day. Remember the storm was a massive one with high winds and rain, and forecasts can regular be 30 miles out. As someone said in am earlier post, Promoters are on a hiding to nothing to get things like this right. Makes you wonder why they bother doesn't it. Then when they jack it in, they would get stick for that as well. Oh well. :o:nono:

• Like 1

Just got home from a very enjoyable meeting. Sunny, relatively warm and all done well inside 2 hours.

last night was near to stadium and it was freezing. Those who were able to attend today definitely benefited from the decision to reschedule The meeting  

Finally, congratulations To Ellis Perks on his 4 programmed ride maximum. 

• Like 3

We'll never know how many would have turned up last night but the facts we do know are that it didn't rain last night, the meeting could have been completed last night and the crowd was well down this afternoon compared to a normal Saturday evening crowd.

I have to say though this afternoon's match was very entertaining, the best yet that I've been to at BP this season with some very good racing, it's just a shame there weren't more there to see it. Also a shame that EP didn't complete his max in heat 15 and the track could have done with a sprinkle of water during the interval.

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

We'll never know how many would have turned up last night but the facts we do know are that it didn't rain last night, the meeting could have been completed last night and the crowd was well down this afternoon compared to a normal Saturday evening crowd.

I have to say though this afternoon's match was very entertaining, the best yet that I've been to at BP this season with some very good racing, it's just a shame there weren't more there to see it. Also a shame that EP didn't complete his max in heat 15 and the track could have done with a sprinkle of water during the interval.

If it had of ran last night, it might have received a sprinkling of water by the time the interval took place.

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

If it had of ran last night, it might have received a sprinkling of water by the time the interval took place.

It didn't really start training until around 10pm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Are you saying that challenging the fans to come in the rain and getting 10 heats in, is a greater consideration of the fans than not to risk it and holding it the following day. Remember the storm was a massive one with high winds and rain, and forecasts can regular be 30 miles out. As someone said in am earlier post, Promoters are on a hiding to nothing to get things like this right. Makes you wonder why they bother doesn't it. Then when they jack it in, they would get stick for that as well. Oh well. :o:nono:

It’s a no win situation,but predicting we that forecasts before race days except in exceptional circumstances is a dangerous precedent IMO.The sport is in a dire state .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s a no win situation,but predicting we that forecasts before race days except in exceptional circumstances is a dangerous precedent IMO.The sport is in a dire state .

It looks like we're now calling meetings off because it's too cold :sad:

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Len Silver had it off to and art and saved  thousands of supporters, hundreds of pounds with his early call offs. When we were at say Somerset the night before our away meeting at Rye, if the weather was suspect we used to get a call off Len of a tip off that the meeting might be in doubt. As agreed, he would ring us as early as he could on the Saturday morning, and if he was calling it off, we had the leisure and time to shoot back up home from our hotel in Swindon, saving us lots of time and petrol money to return home at our convenience. Likewise for the travelling army of fans who used to stay with the team and the management in the same hotel arranged by Joan English(George's Mam). That was a lot of grateful people. Now tell me how that was wrong.