British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Newcastle 27.04.19

20 minutes ago, iainb said:

It looks like we're now calling meetings off because it's too cold :sad:

Its either, too cold, too cold, too wet, or too dry, never a happy medium,,, unless we are in the perfect world.

Len didn’t hang about when he started losing money.he got a fair bit of criticism at his early call offs,maybe that’s the why fans started voting with their feet

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Len didn’t hang about when he started losing money.he got a fair bit of criticism at his early call offs,maybe that’s the why fans started voting with their feet

I'm talking around early 00's, hardly a time when Len was losing money. Just trying to consider his fans and the away team. Ironically that's probably one of the things missing these days but you would get stick for doing it. Like in this case. :o

11 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I'm talking around early 00's, hardly a time when Len was losing money. Just trying to consider his fans and the away team. Ironically that's probably one of the things missing these days but you would get stick for doing it. Like in this case. :o

He bailed out though and was calling meetings off long after you are talking about.Like I say no win situation brought about by lack of control over sport by the powers at be.Riders rule the sport nowadays.Technical Spec and track prep to suit bikes make a wet meeting a NoNo.

Despite what the scoreline suggested it was a very enjoyable meeting with entertaining racing  and the weather was on our side. Good to see Josh Bates in the mix and scoring well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

We'll never know how many would have turned up last night but the facts we do know are that it didn't rain last night, the meeting could have been completed last night and the crowd was well down this afternoon compared to a normal Saturday evening crowd.

I think it would have been well down last night as well, rain or no rain. I wouldn't have ventured out in that freezing cold wind for a start and I'm sure as Speedway fans are mostly elderly ~ according to opinion on here ~ there would be a good few staying at home as well.  I was beginning to think I should have stayed at home this afternoon too when finding the shopping centre car park closed as I had no idea where I was going or if I'd be capable of walking to the stadium, after finding somewhere to park the car.  That's if I could even find it  :D  Good match though in spite of the score and well done to Ellis Perks on a magnificent 12 points.

10 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Its either, too cold, too cold, too wet, or too dry, never a happy medium,,, unless we are in the perfect world.

You sound like a farmer :D

• Haha 2

You can't win with the weather! I thought that the crowd was only about half that for the previous meeting so perhaps in similar circumstances a postponement to another Saturday might be a better bet. I thought that the racing yesterday was much closer than we have been used to with fewer strung out races although there were occasions when we had two races in one - one at the front and one at the back. Ryan Douglas's fall in heat 3 didn't do his shoulder any favours and he struggled after that. Ellis Perks did really well although I think an appearance in heat 15 was a ride too many. I don't know how Josh Bates managed to stay on his bike in one race - the other three riders must have thought 'best to keep out his way'. All in all a very positive start to the season for the Lions - does anyone know when a Leicester team last won 6 out of the first seven competitive meetings? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I much prefer an early call off. It's the tactical ones i can't stand. Hose pipes left on or electrical faults if riders are missing.

• Like 2

Re the weather ........damned if you do, damned if you don't.

A few seasons ago, I went to a Scorpion meeting  & as I approached the stadium( I think I reached the mini roundabout with the car garages), we had an, unexpected, torrential downpour which upon reaching the stadium, had flooded the track. Rob & his crew gave it about 30 minutes, removed the excess water from bends 1 & 3, bladed the track back then put more shale down. Although the riders got filled in in the early heats, the racing improved with the riders giving it a go with the race times only a couple of seconds slower than normal.

I, also, have been to a meeting where rain was expected & we tried to push the meeting through only for the dark clouds & rain to appear & curtail the meeting. As I live approximately 4 miles south of the stadium, but still in Scunthorpe, I arrived home to find the roads bone dry.

2 hours ago, pablo133 said:

4 pages and not a word on the match itself what a joke!

sad to say that is what speedway seems to be about these days

Seems this year the Lions will be there or thereabouts come end of the season,will take some beating over two legs in a playoff situation if they can all stay fit

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pablo133 said:

4 pages and not a word on the match itself what a joke!

I think you should read through the posts again because a few of us have said it was a good match, but there is never anyone on a Leicester topic who actually goes into a great deal of detail about individual rider performances or heat details.  If you support the Lions perhaps you can do it?  :unsure:

• Like 1

I agree with this. If you look at the posts after the match had finished you will find several posts about the track, the result and individual riders.

• Like 2

Certainly a lot closer racing this week. Personally I think it's better with less dirt as long as it's evenly spread across the track and not left to build up on the outside.

Watching from the back straight there did seem to be a bit of a bump going into the 1st bend.

• Like 1