British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Newcastle 27.04.19

On 4/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, Happy Hunter said:

You can't win with the weather! I thought that the crowd was only about half that for the previous meeting so perhaps in similar circumstances a postponement to another Saturday might be a better bet. I thought that the racing yesterday was much closer than we have been used to with fewer strung out races although there were occasions when we had two races in one - one at the front and one at the back. Ryan Douglas's fall in heat 3 didn't do his shoulder any favours and he struggled after that. Ellis Perks did really well although I think an appearance in heat 15 was a ride too many. I don't know how Josh Bates managed to stay on his bike in one race - the other three riders must have thought 'best to keep out his way'. All in all a very positive start to the season for the Lions - does anyone know when a Leicester team last won 6 out of the first seven competitive meetings? 

Here lays the issue. Because we have Lions & Cubs this season there is literally no spare Saturdays available. Even when there are gaps in the fixtures & neither team are riding on a Saturday there is a reason for it , usually we can’t get a full team so then you jeopardise losing the match. 

20 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Here lays the issue. Because we have Lions & Cubs this season there is literally no spare Saturdays available. Even when there are gaps in the fixtures & neither team are riding on a Saturday there is a reason for it , usually we can’t get a full team so then you jeopardise losing the match. 

With the greatest of respect should the Lions need additional Saturdays later in the season that the Cubs are occupying then the junior side will be pushed back to their Sunday race day.  

Agreed the fixture list is very congested. As far as the Cubs riding on a Saturday is concerned they are the Saturdays when there is a GP meeting when Scott Nicholls will be in front of the microphone instead of the tapes so I don't think the Lions will want to ride at home on any of those Saturdays. As far as I can see there are two spare Saturdays - 11th May and 20th July when there is not a GP and the Cubs or Lions are not at home. I am not sure when the cut off date is for the playoffs but the 14th and 28th September are also free. Perhaps one of the reasons why the crowd was down in number on Sunday was because people had made other arrangements for that day. If meetings are postponed to a date a few week in the future fans can get themselves better organised. I see as well that the Lions are at Home to Berwick on Sunday, 14th July.

Edited by Happy Hunter
additional information

48 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Agreed the fixture list is very congested. As far as the Cubs riding on a Saturday is concerned they are the Saturdays when there is a GP meeting when Scott Nicholls will be in front of the microphone instead of the tapes so I don't think the Lions will want to ride at home on any of those Saturdays. As far as I can see there are two spare Saturdays - 11th May and 20th July when there is not a GP and the Cubs or Lions are not at home. I am not sure when the cut off date is for the playoffs but the 14th and 28th September are also free. Perhaps one of the reasons why the crowd was down in number on Sunday was because people had made other arrangements for that day. If meetings are postponed to a date a few week in the future fans can get themselves better organised. I see as well that the Lions are at Home to Berwick on Sunday, 14th July.

That'll be because Berwick will have seniority over Saturday fixtures, I would guess?

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

11th May is the SON at belle vue

The weather forecast for this weekend is predicting a cold snap... Best start to think about calling the Eastie match off! :D

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

The weather forecast for this weekend is predicting a cold snap... Best start to think about calling the Eastie match off! :D

The next time you turn up to a meeting, wait for 30 minutes after the initial start time while they try to fix the track, and then eventually it gets called off with all the riders and fans already in attendance and waiting..... Don't complain :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

The next time you turn up to a meeting, wait for 30 minutes after the initial start time while they try to fix the track, and then eventually it gets called off with all the riders and fans already in attendance and waiting..... Don't complain :D

The trouble nowadays is you turn up because rain has ceased ,they “fix” the track, but the riders walk round and decide it’s not good enough9/10 Complete waste of effort from track staff.

• Like 1

Happened to me at Scunny a few years back the track staff did a great job after a downpour, the track was a bit dodgy for a few heats but then there was some great racing upto heat 10. You can probably guess what happened then

• Like 1

it's happened to us all over the years... and will happen again, the crucial difference being that it had actually rained and the promotion didn't call the meeting off, they were justifying it last weekend saying they did the right thing because it was really cold anyway... so by that logic, will Saturday happen?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

it's happened to us all over the years... and will happen again, the crucial difference being that it had actually rained and the promotion didn't call the meeting off, they were justifying it last weekend saying they did the right thing because it was really cold anyway... so by that logic, will Saturday happen?

Don’t think the promotion justified it by saying it was cold. But those who were able to go on Sunday benefited from the warm weather. So like me (who would have gone on Saturday) was grateful it had been called off due to the forecasted heavy rain. 

Is it forecast to rain this Saturday?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Don’t think the promotion justified it by saying it was cold. But those who were able to go on Sunday benefited from the warm weather. So like me (who would have gone on Saturday) was grateful it had been called off due to the forecasted heavy rain. 

Is it forecast to rain this Saturday?

No, just a return to winter conditions... DD was justifying the decision to call off Saturdays meeting though by saying that even though the rain didn't arrive it was cold and windy so they did the right thing

17 hours ago, Elmo said:

11th May is the SON at belle vue

Thanks - I should have remembered! Have been wondering how they will fit in the Shield play offs and any more cup matches. ? More Sunday or Bank Holiday meetings.

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Well I was grateful thanks as I wouldn't have gone on Saturday. I think I must be past standing around in freezing cold weather now because I had decided earlier than the call off that I wasn't going whether it rained or not. Perhaps the promotion should just keep quiet and not explain anything because when they do their words get criticised anyway. I had been thinking this season how well they were doing with their use of the media and even the reason for any delays during a match being explained over the loudspeakers, but perhaps it's not the best idea. :unsure:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iainb said:

No, just a return to winter conditions... DD was justifying the decision to call off Saturdays meeting though by saying that even though the rain didn't arrive it was cold and windy so they did the right thing

DD would NOT be justifying the reason for the call off, probably only mentioned it as it meant you had missed a cold and windy night. NOT a justification. Your response is probably why some promoters  get pissed off when they try and do the right thing.

• Like 1