British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

California name debate

The Fourteenth California-in-England Reunion 

Friends of Speedway are pleased to announce the date of the above reunion to be held on 13th October 2019 at the Country Park where the speedway took place.

There is an hourly bus service, number 3B from either Reading or Bracknell Railway stations which stops at the park entrance.

Edited by Guest
wrong thread title

Forecast looks iffy. 

Hopefully it will turn out better than last year's deluge

One  thing I 've never figured out is why it was called California-in -England-is there a village in England called California?? help required from various forumlander sages-how come they came up with that name??

I'm from Wokingham, where California is and it was named by the guy who opened an amusement park and i think a zoo there donkeys years ago.  I guess to make it sound a bit more glitzy than just wokingham...

So it's not a place as such no.

Edited by The Doctor...

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

One  thing I 've never figured out is why it was called California-in -England-is there a village in England called California?? help required from various forumlander sages-how come they came up with that name??

As an aside near me in North Germany is a village called California( just with a k instead of c) plus and England, Brazil, Greenland and a few more. A couple of years back some music group done a ‘World Tour’ of all the villages :rofl:

6 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

I'm from Wokingham, where California is and it was named by the guy who opened an amusement park and i think a zoo there donkeys years ago.  I guess to make it sound a bit more glitzy than just wokingham...

Wikipedia says otherwise, there are seven places in the UK listed as California.

Edited by JOS50

15 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

That's the definition of the venue's name as I understand it The Doctor. Maybe to clarify with the -in-England reference added to show it was not an actual locality in this case. 

I was a regular speedway visitor there from the mid-to-late 1950s and saw some wonderful racing on the deep sand-type circuit. 

I also went to some of the reunions a few years ago but unfortunately these days it's too far and too time consuming for me to visit.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, JOS50 said:

Wikipedia says otherwise, there are seven places in the UK listed as California.

Can only presume you didn't read my post.  I said The Wokingham one ISN'T a place.  I didn't say there wasn't California's dotted around the country as i'm sure there are. 

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I also went to some of the reunions a few years ago but unfortunately these days it's too far and too time consuming for me to visit.

Just over an hour door to door Gustix and you know i live very close to you so it can't be much more than that for you.  Get the kids to take you down there for the day and bring back a few memories. You won't regret it i'm sure. 

In its early pre-war era the track was known as Longmoor Speedway but towards the end of the 1930s became known as California.

This was way before my time but is this California in East Anglia area

3 minutes ago, bruno said:

This was way before my time but is this California in East Anglia area

Nope. It's in Berkshire near Wokingham. John's original post mentions the buses from Reading and Bracknell.

5 hours ago, gustix said:

In its early pre-war era the track was known as Longmoor Speedway but towards the end of the 1930s became known as California.

Makes sense - Longmoor lake is at the park i think.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Nope. It's in Berkshire near Wokingham. John's original post mentions the buses from Reading and Bracknell.

Yep and if anyone is going can they have a look at my house to make sure my tenants aren't wrecking the gaff..

On 10/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, The Doctor... said:

Oh yes there is, California nr. Wokingham has a ,Parish church called St Mary and St John California and a California village hall a California Co-op etc. Perhaps you should

look at a map.

54 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

Oh yes there is, California nr. Wokingham has a ,Parish church called St Mary and St John California and a California village hall a California Co-op etc. Perhaps you should

look at a map.

I admire your pursuit, no doubt via wikepedia bit it's not right.  Pop california into google maps and you wont find it.  You'll find the shops but no village.

It's the park and a set of crossroads.  I only lived there for 30 plus years and entire family still there tho technically it's Finchampstead, Wokingham. 

Some local places maybe be named after the mobile home park and country park but that's it. .

So no i don't need to check a map.  Perhaps you should maybe check things like addresses rather than names before you make boneheaded posts that aren't true:

ie, Nine Mile Ride, Finchampstead, Wokingham RG40 4HU - the address of the park...

This forum never fails to make me laugh.  Literally trying to correct someone on the place they've lived for donkeys years.. wow.

Perhaps stick to the song title thread - google is always your friend on threads like that.