British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

California name debate

21 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I admire your pursuit, no doubt via wikepedia bit it's not right.  Pop california into google maps and you wont find it.  You'll find the shops but no village.

It's the park and a set of crossroads.  I only lived there for 30 plus years and entire family still there tho technically it's Finchampstead, Wokingham. 

Some local places maybe be named after the mobile home park and country park but that's it. .

So no i don't need to check a map.  Perhaps you should maybe check things like addresses rather than names before you make boneheaded posts that aren't true:

ie, Nine Mile Ride, Finchampstead, Wokingham RG40 4HU - the address of the park...

This forum never fails to make me laugh.  Literally trying to correct someone on the place they've lived for donkeys years.. wow.

Perhaps stick to the song title thread - google is always your friend on threads like that.

As for song titles I don't need google, every title I've posted, bar one, is in my record collection, the church I mentioned describes itself as being in the parish of

Finchampstead and California. Thanks for your pleasant and polite response.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

With respects the image posted by JOS50 it is an ecclesiastical/parochial emblem. No more than that. 

In regard to counties, boroughs and actual council definitions IMO it has no legal standing.

And the venue is officially known as California-in-England. Only the speedway team (once Longmoor Speedway) was known as California.

You may find the history of The California Ratepayer's Hall interesting, it's where the California Womens Institute meet.

8 hours ago, JOS50 said:

As for song titles I don't need google, every title I've posted, bar one, is in my record collection, the church I mentioned describes itself as being in the parish of

Finchampstead and California. Thanks for your pleasant and polite response.

What a prick . I've scrubbed that as you may be mentally ill going on the posts you've made here.  How thick can you be tho seriously. 

A little bit of education would have told you all you need to know about Parishes.

Edited by The Doctor...

8 hours ago, JOS50 said:

the church I mentioned describes itself as being in the parish of

Finchampstead and California.

Where I lived, the church of St. Peter's served the Parish of St. Helier, which covers parts of Carshalton and Morden. There is no town/village/place called St. Helier.

There are local areas called Rosehill and The Wrythe. They are often shown on maps, but there is no town/village/place called either Rosehill or The Wrythe.

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Where I lived, the church of St. Peter's served the Parish of St. Helier, which covers parts of Carshalton and Morden. There is no town/village/place called St. Helier.

There are local areas called Rosehill and The Wrythe. They are often shown on maps, but there is no town/village/place called either Rosehill or The Wrythe.

I never knew that !! The Wrythe is unknown to me, but always thought there was a St.Helier and Rosehill. Thought they existed as they were destinations at the front of the buses lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosehill,_London

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

True true... i can see the rather grandiose (but not so grandiose up close) St Helier hospital from my front room window right now.. looks lovely from here.  

Rosehill is the roundabout by the hospital isn't it ? Might be mistaken tho.

18 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

True true... i can see the rather grandiose (but not so grandiose up close) St Helier hospital from my front room window right now.. looks lovely from here.  

Rosehill is the roundabout by the hospital isn't it ? Might be mistaken tho.

Where the hell do you live then? I had no idea you were a local? I was born in St. Helier and my dad died in there.

Edited by chunky

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I never knew that !! The Wrythe is unknown to me, but always thought there was a St.Helier and Rosehill. Thought they existed as they were destinations at the front of the buses lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosehill,_London

Well, St. Helier is the housing estate, which runs from Morden town centre to the other side of the hospital. It basically runs alphabetically, from roads like Abbotsbury and Aberconway, to where we lived (Welbeck) and others like Whitland and and Wigmore. St. Helier station is in Green Lane. The St. Helier Arms (played darts for them) was at The Circle, the other side of the roundabout from where my grandparents lived.

There was a pub, The Rose, on the roundabout at Rosehill. The road that goes from the roundabout towards Sutton is called Rosehill, and that area is just known as Rosehill.

If you go down Wrythe Lane from Rosehill (past the hospital) you come to Wrythe Green (by Carshalton FC). That area is The Wrythe. I don't know any actual boundaries or anything.

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

Where the hell do you live then? I had no idea you were a local?

One of the swanky new apartment blocks at the top end of Croydon..lovely views as far as Wembley, but also got Gustix in line of sight if need be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Well, St. Helier is the housing estate, which runs from Morden town centre to the other side of the hospital. It basically runs alphabetically, from roads like Abbotsbury and Aberconway, to where we lived (Welbeck) and others like Whitland and and Wigmore. St. Helier station is in Green Lane. The St. Helier Arms (played darts for them) was at The Circle, the other side of the roundabout from where my grandparents lived.

There was a pub, The Rose, on the roundabout at Rosehill. The road that goes from the roundabout towards Sutton is called Rosehill, and that area is just known as Rosehill.

If you go down Wrythe Lane from Rosehill (past the hospital) you come to Wrythe Green (by Carshalton FC). That area is The Wrythe. I don't know any actual boundaries or anything.

An area I know to an extent. One of my cousins kids was born in St.Helier Hospital. I worked in Mill Lane, Carshalton for a few years. And on one of those roundabouts...not sure my dad knew the Barber, who was from tales he told, well in with the local gangsters

Tbh I have no real clue, I just assumed Rosehill and St.Helier were places

2 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

One of the swanky new apartment blocks at the top end of Croydon..lovely views as far as Wembley, but also got Gustix in line of sight if need be.

Okay. I played in a lot of pubs in the whole area, and actually played for The Eagle (Reeves Corner) and The Fisherman's Arms (Windmill Rd). Of course, both are gone now...

I went to school in Wallington (Croydon Rd).

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

An area I know to an extent. One of my cousins kids was born in St.Helier Hospital. I worked in Mill Lane, Carshalton for a few years. And on one of those roundabouts...not sure my dad knew the Barber, who was from tales he told, well in with the local gangsters

Tbh I have no real clue, I just assumed Rosehill and St.Helier were places

Yeah, I used to pass Mill Lane on my way to school, and played darts at The Sun on the corner of Mill Lane and North St.

Tom was my barber for most of my life! Even after I emigrated, I would go to Tom's on my visits back! He finally retired in the early 2000's.

The best story was about the other barber in Tom's, a guy called Gary (really nice guy, actually). He did a few years inside for helping to cut up the body of a murder victim at the Arms!

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I used to past Mill Lane on my way to school, and played darts at The Sun on the corner of Mill Lane and North St.

Tom was my barber for most of my life! Even after I emigrated, I would go to Tom's on my visits back! He finally retired in the early 2000's.

The best story was about the other barber in Tom's, a guy called Gary (really nice guy, actually). He did a few years inside for helping to cut up the body of a murder victim at the Arms!

Yeah, the same barber. Tom !! My dads barber as well. Small world.

Edited by iris123