British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield's Track Woes

1 hour ago, jenga said:

i wish i lived in Sheffield........   i would be there EVERY week .  B).

As long as the promoters don't ban you.:party:

3 hours ago, 4thbender said:

As long as the promoters don't ban you.:party:

what are they ?

Just go up the M18 and M180 in 40 minutes from Sheffield to see a real racers track.  Ex Sheffield Promotors, Team Managers and ex riders seem to be at the EWR in Scunthorpe every meeting.:wink:

• Like 2

Aye, always make sure I don't wear my best when visiting Scunthorpe because you can guarantee that you'll get covered in shale!

6 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

I can only go by what I have seen in recent years..... I stand by what I have seen

There are tracks I refuse to go to.... equally there are those that I have no problem going to regularly...

Name those tracks.

9 minutes ago, Hel'n'Back said:

Aye, always make sure I don't wear my best when visiting Scunthorpe because you can guarantee that you'll get covered in shale!

After my first ever speedway meeting  I quickly realised where the shale was likely to be thrown up, and to avoid standing there.:D

12 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Just go up the M18 and M180 in 40 minutes from Sheffield to see a real racers track.  Ex Sheffield Promotors, Team Managers and ex riders seem to be at the EWR in Scunthorpe every meeting.:wink:

That's the thing about Scunny - it's run on the back of Sheffield's cast-offs!  B)

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

That's the thing about Scunny - it's run on the back of Sheffield's cast-offs!  B)

maybe Sheff should have kept a few cast offs and they may have not finished bottom of the pile a few years ago ? 

19 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You maybe right.

However, the point remains : the get what you are given and be grateful, if you don't like it, don't come attitude remains a reason why speedway is on its knees.

I couldn't agree more. That was pretty much the response I got from some when I have been critical of Somerset dropping back into the 2nd Division. From what I can gather, as I haven't been yet this season, I'm not the only one and crowds have been pretty poor as a consequence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Don't recall Messer's Machin, Boocock or Wilson being on the Scunny management team ?:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, jenga said:

maybe Sheff should have kept a few cast offs and they may have not finished bottom of the pile a few years ago ? 

What are you on about?  Only time we've finished bottom in recent years was last year.  Or am I having a sense of humour bypass?

With regard to track time, I suspect the move to Sunday would have happened anyway, as the  Thursday afternoon greyhound meetings were compromising it last season.  

23 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Posts like this make me  :angry:

Basically, get what you're given, pay up and be grateful for it. 

People who attend speedway pay for the privilege, so they have every right to complain if things aren't up to reasonable scratch . Lets face it, we would about anything else.

As to putting the club for sale, that's a bit like a butcher being forced to sell up and pinning the blame totally on customers for refusing to buy his rotten meat. 

One other thing : all those being critical on this thread should beware. SKJ and I know only too well what can happen to a fan who complains about the state of Sheffield's track. 

Not really a get what your given at all in this case. Just trying to explain best but one of those things you could make things perfect but there is always gunna be people that are not happy as can’t please everyone at the end of the day. Unfortunately Sunday things happened that there was nothing anyone could do about. But my point on the sale side of things, if at your place of work, you had someone moaning and slating you at every turn when you was trying to do your best and give everything you could is hardly gunna be a happy work environment for you and make you want to stay at that place of work is it not. Nothing to do with blaming the fans at all. But everyone is very quick to get on and have a good moan about things when they are not right you could give riders the perfect race track but if they don’t race on its everyone else that gets the blame. But like we have said everyone is working hard and trying to help out the best we can to make a good race track for and the riders to race on and watch the racing, so if the track is not up to your standards this Sunday then I shall happily let you take my place helping out. 

1 hour ago, Tigerblade said:

What are you on about?  Only time we've finished bottom in recent years was last year.  Or am I having a sense of humour bypass?

With regard to track time, I suspect the move to Sunday would have happened anyway, as the  Thursday afternoon greyhound meetings were compromising it last season.  

i see you have had that humour bypass operation . good to see its working well and above expectations   ..  long live Sunday speedway .

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Motox92 said:

Not really a get what your given at all in this case. Just trying to explain best but one of those things you could make things perfect but there is always gunna be people that are not happy as can’t please everyone at the end of the day. Unfortunately Sunday things happened that there was nothing anyone could do about. But my point on the sale side of things, if at your place of work, you had someone moaning and slating you at every turn when you was trying to do your best and give everything you could is hardly gunna be a happy work environment for you and make you want to stay at that place of work is it not. Nothing to do with blaming the fans at all. But everyone is very quick to get on and have a good moan about things when they are not right you could give riders the perfect race track but if they don’t race on its everyone else that gets the blame. But like we have said everyone is working hard and trying to help out the best we can to make a good race track for and the riders to race on and watch the racing, so if the track is not up to your standards this Sunday then I shall happily let you take my place helping out. 

As I said, no-one should have a problem with a one - off. 

Problem is Sunday wasn't a one off where Sheffield's track is concerned this season.  

As to that final comment, that really is scraping the barrel. 

Two things. Sheffield can be a fine race track.....and I would be hugely pleased if it got back to that (and I might attend a bit more, too - if I don't get barred, that is).