Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield's Track Woes

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

I couldn't agree more. That was pretty much the response I got from some when I have been critical of Somerset dropping back into the 2nd Division. From what I can gather, as I haven't been yet this season, I'm not the only one and crowds have been pretty poor as a consequence.

I'd heard one or stories about the losses Somerset were making in the top flight so I wasn't surprised when they went into the Championship. In truth, I can't blame Debbie Hancock for that. 

Having said that, its all about how it is put over to regular fans. If it is a case of arrogance and hostility, then I wouldn't blame anyone from walking away.  

For years fans have been taken for granted, and its one of the main reasons why speedway is struggling. Any paying customer should be treated as precisely that and while you can't always meet their expectations, you can have a good shot at it. What I will say is with people like Barry Bishop and Adrian Smith getting involved, the attitude is changing.

Plan is for me to go to Stoke on Sunday week, a track I haven't been to for several years. The reason I didn't go is no longer there, so I'll give them another try.

4 hours ago, jenga said:

maybe Sheff should have kept a few cast offs and they may have not finished bottom of the pile a few years ago ? 

Many of us spent most of last season saying precisely that. 

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

Was you saying that in 2017 - Yes you probably was |||

Edited by Bleatistow
shouting

16 hours ago, 4thbender said:

We kept as many of our previous year's title winning side as the points limit allowed, and I don't recall much dissent about James Shanes and Charles Wright at the times we signed them.  Nobody could have legislated for what happened with Josh Bates (well, I suppose they could, with it being Josh, but the point still stands)

• Like 1

Bears co-promoter Jitendra Duffill said after last night's match: "I honestly feel that you will not see a better speedway meeting anywhere in the country this year. The racing was absolutely phenomenal and we are so lucky to have such a special race track here on Teesside.”

Why can't we have some of that (like we used to)?

36 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Bears co-promoter Jitendra Duffill said after last night's match: "I honestly feel that you will not see a better speedway meeting anywhere in the country this year. The racing was absolutely phenomenal and we are so lucky to have such a special race track here on Teesside.”

Last night proved u dont need passing for a good race, the lads rode close and fast with palm toft wright and stewart all putting a shift in although i thought wright got a hell of a flyer in ht 11, also impressed with nathan greaves as they say he rode much better than his score suggests .

39 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

I've no doubt fans of King's Lynn and Peterborough say the same. Sheffield is not the only great race track that don't produce the goods anymore.