British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skidder1

Poole v Belle Vue Thurs 2nd May 2019

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, a blue moon in Dorset. Poole won. Whatever next.  :)

Current league table looks good (early days yet I know). Robins look the strongest team, as they are currently holding everyone else up at the bottom.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aviator said:

The stage that the promotion sets for today’s speedway matches at Poole is a shambles. The days of great racing where you would leave the stadium with “your head on fire” are long gone. The track is a mess (and has been for a number of years) and the racing is bordering on non existent and boring. Not sure I can put up with this for much longer!!

The story of speedway across the UK if it were ever looked at objectively from the outside. It's beyond rare for me to go home after a match at King's Lynn with " my head on fire" with excitement. Perhaps when Robert Lambert first rode for the Young Stars and I still talk about those matches. Yes, the odd good race since but whole exciting matches - No! FTG rules the roost and hence existing fans continue to melt away and new fans are truly rarer than hen's teeth. The KL tracks looks good but provides little or no racing nowadays. So, yes, "bordering on non-existent and boring" is a good description when talked about with no spin. Me too. Not sure I can put up with it for much longer and am thus on the verge of joining the ranks of ex-fans in the stadium. Still love the GPs on TV and what I can see of Polish racing ( on YouTube ).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Well he hasn't being pulling up any trees on his home track either but early days i am sure he will get better as the season progresses.

will take a couple of seasons like most, everyone is pissing in his pocket,another young ausie that is good on australian southern tracks where he has done a million laps on,put him on new tracks and is very average,no surprise to me at all

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Belle Vue have never brought a coach to Poole in decades. Rob B used to organise a mini bus but since he got married that now doesn’t seem to happen. Didn’t see a single BV fan there tonight. But guess they know they were in for a spanking.

Why would anyone travel 4 hours each way on a week night when they know they are going to the worst track in the PL. It must have been bad again if even you said it was rubbish last night. Was thinking about coming down to 4 point road on Bank Holiday Monday but doesn't sound like it will be worth the hassle. 

• Like 1

I think people are being a little unfair jaimon lidley look at Jason doyle for example we shall see 

• Like 1

Jaimon has had a baptism of fire. 

Faced Peterborough 3 times who have very strong reserves. 

Went Ipswich who again have very strong reserves. 

Went wolves which is a very technical track but got a race win

Then finally at Poole who again have very strong reserves  

Hes not seen any of the lse tracks before or raced in this country before but he has shown me enough to stick with him. Should improve 2nd half of the season. 

Berge and wells though

Not so sure about. 

58 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

The story of speedway across the UK if it were ever looked at objectively from the outside. It's beyond rare for me to go home after a match at King's Lynn with " my head on fire" with excitement. Perhaps when Robert Lambert first rode for the Young Stars and I still talk about those matches. Yes, the odd good race since but whole exciting matches - No! FTG rules the roost and hence existing fans continue to melt away and new fans are truly rarer than hen's teeth. The KL tracks looks good but provides little or no racing nowadays. So, yes, "bordering on non-existent and boring" is a good description when talked about with no spin. Me too. Not sure I can put up with it for much longer and am thus on the verge of joining the ranks of ex-fans in the stadium. Still love the GPs on TV and what I can see of Polish racing ( on YouTube ).

Unless things Improve dramatically, I’m pretty certain this will be my last year of watching Poole at Wimborne Road. It’s just not worth the frustration of watching “precession” speedway on a poorly prepared track.. Bend 1 was pretty dire last night with riders having to concentrate on missing the famous pothole rather than muscling through the bend. After that came the inevitable  precession!!

11 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Unless things Improve dramatically, I’m pretty certain this will be my last year of watching Poole at Wimborne Road. It’s just not worth the frustration of watching “precession” speedway on a poorly prepared track.. Bend 1 was pretty dire last night with riders having to concentrate on missing the famous pothole rather than muscling through the bend. After that came the inevitable  precession!!

Could be worse , It could be "procession" speedway

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aviator said:

I thought there was a hole in between bends 3/4 as well 

10 hours ago, Aviator said:

The stage that the promotion sets for today’s speedway matches at Poole is a shambles. The days of great racing where you would leave the stadium with “your head on fire” are long gone. The track is a mess (and has been for a number of years) and the racing is bordering on non existent and boring. Not sure I can put up with this for much longer!!

Short arms, deep pockets. Could be called, Poole "take the money and run" Pirates :unsure:

Not fair on the fans, they have supported the club well for years, and they get this :angry:

24 minutes ago, adonis said:

Could be worse , It could be "procession" speedway

It could be either, especially if you bring the gyroscopic effect into play!!

Despite good things going on at Glasgow, Ipswich and Swindon amongst others it’s generally been a pretty poor start to the UK season with poor track and poor racing issues at Poole, Sheffield, Somerset, Peterborough, Lynn, Leicester and Berwick according to people on here (not always the best source admittedly) and beyond. Some reported poor attendances too (as well as some good ones for balance) added to the second division champions not even getting to the tapes. It feels like British speedway is at a massive crossroads and it’s going to need radical thinking to enable it to take the correct road. 

The bottom line is that much of British speedway is an overpriced, atmosphere-less and pretty unentertaining night out and it simply has to change. 

Crossroads Baggy ?   Seems to me it’s a one way street leading to the Cliff Edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So a much bigger win than expected for the Pirates in front of a smaller than usual crowd, no doubt as a result of Good Friday's dustbowl and 2 home defeats.

However as I try to be a 'glass half full' kind of person, at least the Pirates have learned how to gate again - and even when they didn't the likes of BK and NBJ in particular showed there is more than one line around the Poole circuit.  BK top scoring with 14 points despite the 'Gavanism' that he always goes missing in the latter heats!!

Yes there were some processional races but as a Poole fan at least Poole riders were leading most of them.

(The meeting sponsor's choice of Jack Holder as Rider of the Night was a little surprising to most, but no doubt to build his confidence a little!)

In truth I was a little disappointed with how the Aces fell away as the meeting progressed - Fricke was his usual dependable self; Kenny started ok but then.......?! and not quite sure what was up with Steve Worrall who was firmly put in the shade by brother Richie who recorded his fastest time ever around Poole so no track problems for him (probably be the reverse on Monday?!). Also not quite sure of Lemo's logic in putting young Bewley in heat 15?! His scores went 3;2;1;0 in his programmed rides?!

As for the track, it was certainly better prepared than Good Friday. It was being watered right up to 7pm in bright sunshine and a stiff breeze, despite the threat of rain later on - which arrived around heat 13, although agreed it did look a little bumpy in places. The meeting was sped through quite quickly with only 2 re-runs due to starting infringements. 

The meeting was followed by Weymouth Wildcats v Milton Keynes Knights (18-18) in the first of their 6 Southern Development meetings at Poole.

Edited by Skidder1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So a much bigger win than expected for the Pirates in front of a smaller than usual crowd, no doubt as a result of Good Friday's dustbowl and 2 home defeats.

However as I try to be a 'glass half full' kind of person, at least the Pirates have learned how to gate again - and even when they didn't the likes of BK and NBJ in particular showed there is more than one line around the Poole circuit.  BK top scoring with 14 points despite the 'Gavanism' that he always goes missing in the latter heats!!

Yes there were some processional races but as a Poole fan at least Poole riders were leading most of them.

In truth I was a little disappointed with how the Aces fell away as the meeting progressed - not quite sure of Lemo's logic in putting young Bewley in heat 15?!

As for the track, it was certainly better prepared than Good Friday. It was being watered right up to 7pm in bright sunshine and a stiff breeze, despite the threat of rain later on - which arrived around heat 13, although agreed it did look a little bumpy in places. The meeting was sped through quite quickly with only 2 re-runs due to starting infringements. 

The meeting was followed by Weymouth Wildcats v Milton Keynes Knights (18-18) in the first of their 6 Southern Development meetings at Poole.

I try to be neither a “half full or half empty” type of individual but, just say it as I see it. I am however a long time motorcyclist and there are three things you try and avoid when riding your motorcycle 1/ idiot car drivers, 2/ manholes, 3/ potholes. Fortunately, the former are either not allowed on the Poole track or, built into the track. However, there is an abundance of potholes, all of which can and should be sorted. Why oh why don’t the Poole promotion focus on making the Poole track the best in the country and, in doing so give us decent elbow to elbow racing. If then trophies happen because we can deliver decent competitive, no excuse racing, that’s the icing on the cake.

• Like 1