British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Brummies v Eagles 1.5.19

1st time I’ve been this season and it will be the last, Pathetic performance by Birmingham, but the biggest surprise was the crowd, Hell there were more at the Bar when it was NL, Things not looking good for the future, 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

What an awful night!. The performance was totally unacceptable , the crowd was pretty woeful and to be honest I was glad to get home. Fair play to Eastbourne it was easy for them but they pretty much all did the job. Good Luck in the semi finals

I cant see who we are going to beat home or away with this side, we have too many passengers. Its not just we don't have a number 1, tonight to be fair Ostergaard had a decent meeting anyway but we need more from Kyle Newman and Ashley Morris. Newman tries as ever and he can have a great ride coming from the back to win then 3 awful rides. Morris has been disappointing bar a few meetings, hes a rider I thought was a good signing that could kick on and progress but its anything but at the minute. He maybe needs to ride in the NL to get some confidence. Thomsen is finding it tough, hes had a few meetings now and really we need points from him at home. I dont see his scores dramatically improving when he drops to reserve.

So we need changes but I just  dont see it happening. Last season I felt there were times when we should have made changes at reserve earlier but none were made.So I worry that when a big decision needs to be made will Mason and Rogers be bold enough to go for it. Then when you look at how many turned up tonight, could we afford to strengthen the side? 

So Im worried whats going to happen, I just hope the riders that arnt performing can up their games. They are better then what they are showing right now, we NEED to be winning matches at home even if its by 1 point. 

Some totally OTT comments from Proudtobeabrummie I'm afraid.

I'm sick we lost, I'm very concerned by the crowds and I think we need to make changes but I think we were beaten by one of the better teams in the League, certainly a better side than Somerset.

Lawson is a top rider at this level and a No 1 in probably any side but Glasgow, Kennett looked the world class prospect he once was in 2 of his rides, and Kerr is may be one of the better 3rd Heat Leaders. What clinched it for them was they then have 4 of the best NL riders of 2018 - Morley and Bowtell are doing OK in their top 5, Wood is adequate and Brennan looks an absolute diamond.

We went for the Workington model 6 riders averaging 6-7 points - problem is we don't have a trick track like Workington did. We need a Lawson or a Kennett to spearhead the side and a Kerr to bang in points home and away. The balance of their team is far better than ours and we have no excuses.

Where are they and can we afford them??

On the crowd levels of tonight NO and time for all Brummies fans to rally round before its too late...as more of this and we won't have a team in CL or NL.

Hard to see positives from tonight as a Birmingham fan. 

Paco having a crash last weekend and being selected for Italy probably didn’t help us, Morris scoring under his average, and Tobias seems to be struggling as well as Newman. 

My worry is the way we are going we could see at some point, our number 1 being a 5 point average - how is that strength in depth?? 

Time for a change?? Maybe 

What comment was totally "OTT" ?

Do you think this current 1-7 will win a meeting this season ? 

The only "OTT" comment i have seen is someone describing Eddie Kennett as world class .

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Like 2

Would it not help Birmingham to make marketing decisions before the day of the meeting?

so we made a great offer for junior supporters as £1 but this was on the day of the meeting

would this not work days before the meeting and use social media to help advertise this offer?? 

Great offer though - am all for it, but the timing? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, andy_dugmore said:

Would it not help Birmingham to make marketing decisions before the day of the meeting?

so we made a great offer for junior supporters as £1 but this was on the day of the meeting

would this not work days before the meeting and use social media to help advertise this offer?? 

Great offer though - am all for it, but the timing? 

Ridiculous timing announcing it 7 hours before tapes up .

The crowd was probably affected by a Champions League Semi Final. We'd have come tonight but for that.

As for the result, massive ouch for the Brummies. They need to be competitive without breaking the bank.

6 hours ago, HGould said:

I'm sick we lost, I'm very concerned by the crowds and I think we need to make changes but I think we were beaten by one of the better teams in the League, certainly a better side than Somerset.

Lawson is a top rider at this level and a No 1 in probably any side but Glasgow, Kennett looked the world class prospect he once was in 2 of his rides, and Kerr is may be one of the better 3rd Heat Leaders. What clinched it for them was they then have 4 of the best NL riders of 2018 - Morley and Bowtell are doing OK in their top 5, Wood is adequate and Brennan looks an absolute diamond.

We went for the Workington model 6 riders averaging 6-7 points - problem is we don't have a trick track like Workington did. We need a Lawson or a Kennett to spearhead the side and a Kerr to bang in points home and away. The balance of their team is far better than ours and we have no excuses.

On the crowd levels of tonight NO and time for all Brummies fans to rally round before its too late...as more of this and we won't have a team in CL or NL.

Perhaps the question is whether you can afford not to get a No 1 (and indeed a no 2). 

I did say back in February that putting out a team that costs less than others can actually end up costing a lot more. People aren't fooled by a weak team and unless initial results are good (or at least acceptable) they not only won't come they will leave in droves. Sadly, it seems that is happening. 

I have some sympathy for David Mason, Laurence Rogers and everyone else at Birmingham but I did predict this possibility some months ago. You simply have to get the balance of the team right and, to me, it wasn't clear they had done that. 

The worst bit is that this has happened at the start of the season. Even if Birmingham can get some heavy artillery in, getting fans back who have walked away is difficult and definitely not guaranteed. That could leave them with increased costs and no change in income.

Eastbourne are a decent side but I suspect most believed they would be nigh on unbeatable at home but indifferent away. They were certainly unimpressive at Somerset.

Workington's success wasn't substantially due to their track (although they certainly prepared it for their riders late on in the season). The likes of Ostergaard, Newman, Thomsen, Morris and Wajtknecht simply don't compare with Proctor, Klindt, Bach, Bewley & Jensen and the Comets had a 6 point reserve (Campton) to start the year.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HGould said:

Workington was never a trick track , big wide and fast yes but tricky never .

• Like 3

I did fear for the Brummies pre season. Going up a league with a poor team and the added expense. I was there for the Somerset meeting, great racing but a poor crowd. Perry Barr is a fair track that anyone can race on, probably too fair.

brum all have riders riding out of position, newmans not a heat leader, nor zach or ashley, ulrichs a 3rd heatleader riding at one. The only 2 places in the side that are in situ are the reserves.

Eastbourne wont win many on the road, the fact theyve stuffed brum by so many says more about the team building from the brummies imo

• Like 3

Well, well....yet another 'gating' lesson for our boys???

Well done to Eastbourne....especially the promising Tom Brennan :t:

I've been a critic in the past, but I can't see how the manager was to blame in any part of this 'poor' performance?

My only differing opinion of his tactical changes would've been in heat 12....I'd of gone with Ulrich over Kyle ? but it wasn't going to make any difference to the result either way!

As for the reserve switches ? they were spot on imo and obviously tactical so far as Paco's average goes (trying to keep it down....) 

The most disappointing aspect, was the 'crowd level', or lack of it? It does look like football swallowed up a big part of it ?

I cant see how we can criticise the riders for not being good enough??? Nobody tried harder than Shanes/Thomsen.....really feel for Tobias.

I'm only just beginning to see what a tough/competitive league the Championship is....I'm afraid there's going to be a few more spankings home/away.

Well done to Ulrich on his couple of wins...he beat both of Eastbourne's best 2 riders Kennett/Kerr!

I have a small concern about the track last night? far slicker than usual ? hope that wasn't tactical, because we seriously are the worst team I've seen for a long time at gating?

P.s Although we were effectively hammered...I wouldn't swap the racing for National League and will gracefully accept defeat by better teams in the Championship!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2

Im really starting to feel for the Brum supporters as the poorly built team is really starting to bite. Winning sides are built on riders with bargain averages or who have been improving steadily year on year, this team has been built on sentiment and there is little place for that in the sport if you want success. Zach Waj has stalled at the start of the season and should really be performing better but is likely to come good, Ash Morris is the best value signing in the side but asking him to bust a gut as 3rd heat leader in a losing side is a big ask every week. Oyster card will be considered a success this season if he treads water but is likely to continue his downward slide and Newman looks to be having the same season he has for the past 4 (i thought he would finally kick on but thats been said before). I assume Thomsen is paying for his rides as he would have been dropped from every other team in this league and possibly below it. 

Im not really sure what is the way back though as breaking the bank on signings that just aren't there won't work, sticking with the same side and hoping is costing matches and supporters. Perhaps sort the track so that the poor gaters can at least come through the pack and offer up a side of crazy entertainers? Im not sure of the answer but its clear one needs to be found sooner rather than later. 

Sings, Zach certainly is not the problem in fact he is doing just fine from 5.3 ave scoring 8, 9 , 6, 6, 6 and 7 so scoring above his average in every single meeting this season . I am not sure that is qualified as stalling ?

Personally i would be looking at replacing Tobias asap as the initial change . I also think Dave Mason if possible should look at advising Mr Rodgers in tactical switches etc . I know you say the meeting was over but its not the point but the only person in the entire stadium who would of put Newman in heat 11 as the tactical  switch was unfortunately the person making the tactical switch  .

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Thanks 1