British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Swindon. V Peterborough. 06/05/19.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Not a great night the referee had a nightmare for me and hardly kept the show rolling his decision on the awarded race was nothing short of a disgrace.Peterborough deserved a point and did well to hang on in there and well done to Charles Wright he was immense tonight.Swindon looked vulnerable tonight and need to raise there game for Thursday night a win is a win though and we move on to the next match.

I agree Sid not the best of meetings, i can't grumble though for £9. The track wasn't brilliant, too dry. It's early days and will need time to settle down.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I agree Sid not the best of meetings, i can't grumble though for £9. The track wasn't brilliant, too dry. It's early days and will need time to settle down.

Overall City the racing has improved , alot of dirt on the start line have you been to Kent this year ? if so  how has young Rowe done.?

7 hours ago, BlackPanther said:

We have been brought to save the Premiership and keep the BT Sport deal in place

"Saving" the premiership on TV was a pointless exercise if this first offering is anything yo go by. However much spin Tatum & Pearson put on it ( and they did their best with Natalie and Steve B filling in to make it seem exciting ). It was dramatic from a points swing aspect due to errors and NOT due to exciting racing. Clearly, a Gate & Go circuit at least for 85% of races. I can't believe what any casual viewers might have made of if they stumbled across the hype of Live Speedway. As for the inexplicable ( if within the rules which must be thoughtlessly drawn up ) refereeing decisions and the numerous bikes not fit for the purpose of racing. Add to that the riders who are happy to ride around in 3rd or 4th place until they get their next chance at making a gate. New viewers will know nothing of the subtle excitement of the first and second bend clash - the first time around ( THAT is the race ). Blink and you miss it.  2/10 or possibly 3/10 ( for actually continuing to exist inside a new housing estate ).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Overall City the racing has improved , alot of dirt on the start line have you been to Kent this year ? if so  how has young Rowe done.?

I've been once, he looked ok. I've seen him ride for Somerset a couple of times as well. A big step up for the lad.

19 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

"Saving" the premiership on TV was a pointless exercise if this first offering is anything yo go by. However much spin Tatum & Pearson put on it ( and they did their best with Natalie and Steve B filling in to make it seem exciting ). It was dramatic from a points swing aspect due to errors and NOT due to exciting racing. Clearly, a Gate & Go circuit at least for 85% of races. I can't believe what any casual viewers might have made of if they stumbled across the hype of Live Speedway. As for the inexplicable ( if within the rules which must be thoughtlessly drawn up ) refereeing decisions and the numerous bikes not fit for the purpose of racing. Add to that the riders who are happy to ride around in 3rd or 4th place until they get their next chance at making a gate. New viewers will know nothing of the subtle excitement of the first and second bend clash - the first time around ( THAT is the race ). Blink and you miss it.  2/10 or possibly 3/10 ( for actually continuing to exist inside a new housing estate ).

It was a poor meeting racing wise, but the new track will need time to settle. It certainly wasn't worth more than the £9 i paid to watch it.

I was worried when we got to heat 15 with Brady nominated as Gavan tells us every week he goes missing at the end of meetings. He did alright yesterday ..... twice in one day too!

Speedway looks bad when guests are used, if a rider is injured, tough, only allow RR , as in any other sport use reserves , sign up no.8 & 9 

Sort the starting out , why after a stoppage do the riders need to go back to the pits, bring them straight back, Once the pit gates are shut they should stay that way until the race is complete. 

Please speedway help yourself, 

i still believe these lay down machines will be the death of the sport, with uprights the riders had to learn throttle control, how to ride a bike, plus we had many less gate n go stuff. To hear that Swindon had modified their track to suit the bikes is wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Speedway looks bad when guests are used, if a rider is injured, tough, only allow RR , as in any other sport use reserves , sign up no.8 & 9 

Sort the starting out , why after a stoppage do the riders need to go back to the pits, bring them straight back, Once the pit gates are shut they should stay that way until the race is complete. 

i still believe these lay down machines will be the death of the sport, with uprights the riders had to learn throttle control, how to ride a bike, plus we had many less gate n go stuff. To hear that Swindon had modified their track to suit the bikes is wrong. 

You mean lay downs that have been around for nigh on 30 years ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

I was worried when we got to heat 15 with Brady nominated as Gavan tells us every week he goes missing at the end of meetings. He did alright yesterday ..... twice in one day too!

Maybe he is turning the corner then but he had a history of starting meetings well and tailing off.

Thought the meeting was ok for tv but there have been better and there has been much worse

Dont understand why Ellis wasnt in heat 15 had looked quicker than Tobi all night......though he must learn at the start line maybe hey thought he might jump again or touch the tapes

Edited by Gavan

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

I think brady is going to step up a gear this season he had two top scores yesterday . I maybe bias a little though :t:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Maybe he is turning the corner then but he had a history of starting meetings well and tailing off.

Thought the meeting was ok for tv but there have been better and there has been much worse

Dont understand why Ellis wasnt in heat 15 had looked quicker than Tobi all night......though he must learn at the start line maybe hey thought he might jump again or touch the tapes

yeah was pretty boring compared to the previous 2 meetings at Swindon but 2 out of 3 good meetings is way better than the 1 in 10 we were getting on the old track.

Ellis and Tobi love a nibble at the tapes! Makes it interesting though as you could see how close Adam got to the Boro riders in heat 14. As I said earlier it was the best I've seen Ellis ride and extra rides in the Champ will only help him this season. Nice to see a young English lad developing. 

24 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I was surprised Ellis wasn't in heat 15, but maybe it was felt he might twitch at the start under pressure? Having said that, though, Tobi was in instead and he is the other one who has been moving a lot at the start too.

Rosco was a bit chirpy at the after meeting press conference, calling them both "pillocks" for moving and nearly costing Swindon the meeting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Sort the starting out , why after a stoppage do the riders need to go back to the pits, bring them straight back, Once the pit gates are shut they should stay that way until the race is 

Engines rev so hard nowadays that they need time to cool down. Same with the clutches. 

1 hour ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Lay downs have been since the 80s, so they aren’t a new phenomenon. If you really believe that there was less strung out racing 30+ years ago then you need to take off your blinkers. Speedway has always had strung out heats in every match. This is certainly not something new just the nature of competition.