British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

SoN Belle Vue

27 minutes ago, HGould said:

Looked some decent races on BT Sport.

Their camera work is abysmal at times though.

French boys very unlucky and Becker looks a mini Hancock in the making.

Hes going to be better than Hancock. Alot more fun watching Luke 

Was a decent meeting. Would love the final here. 

But we really do need to sort out the catering side of things. Every year there are problems with not enough staff or even beer. They even ran out of pint glasses at 1 point. 

• Like 1

Thanks Andout & Walter

8 hours ago, andout said:

OK, I'll give it shot and try to explain....

Heat 7 France beat USA 5-1

Heat 13 France get a 3-3 with Latvia but France's 2nd and 3rd gives them a NON-COUNTING Bonus point for simply breaking ties at the end if the meeting.

Heat 17 USA beat Latvia 4-2

France therefore beats both and gets the Ranking for the meeting as 4th, USA with the win over Latvia gets 5th Ranking and Latvia 6th.

Ranking is important in Heats 22 and 23, Ranking breaks 3-3's.

Because of the 4th Ranking France only needed a 3-3 to go through whether they got a 1st and a 4th or a 2nd and 3rd USA had to get a 4-2 or a 5-1 to beat France.

Heat 23 France would have needed a 4-2 or a 5-1 as a 3-3 would have given the 3rd Ranked Danes the win.

I think I have that right....if I'm wrong I'm sure someone else will correct me.

No wonder they didn’t try to explain that over the tannoy! I’m sure I saw on the screen they initially put USA 4th and France 5th which seemed to confuse people even more! Just get rid of the knock-out races. 

24 minutes ago, HGould said:

Don't know who she is but on TV there was some high pitched voice shrieking after every race giving results- can't be Natalie Quirke as she was in TV studio??  

Yes she was and also had a habit of announcing reserve replacements after the race!

8 minutes ago, woodenspoon said:

Glad a neutral brought the screeching from Haley up. Us poor home fans have to put up with the screaming banshee, every meeting. It adds nothing to the enjoyment of the racing.

Women's voices just aren't right for speedway commentating, she says lots of good stuff but nothing she can do about it, her voice is too high imo ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, acef said:

Format not great. Bring back the World Cup.

Racing was okay, but could have been so much better with a top class, even international field.

The final would be a blast here. 

The final would be good, semis of both competitions are less of a spectacle for obvious reasons ....

2 minutes ago, Trees said:

Women's voices just aren't right for speedway commentating, she says lots of good stuff but nothing she can do about it, her voice is too high imo ...

Me too. :wink:

There were 1 or 2 good races but not at all to usual Belle Vue standards. The whole thing felt as flat as a pancake on the TV. 

Lost total concentration and just had it on in the background from about heat 15. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

There were 1 or 2 good races but not at all to usual Belle Vue standards. The whole thing felt as flat as a pancake on the TV. 

Lost total concentration and just had it on in the background from about heat 15. 

I agree unfortunately, I did expect better racing, was the track too grippy, it races better when it's slicker doesn't it Belle Vue fans?

10 minutes ago, Trees said:

I agree unfortunately, I did expect better racing, was the track too grippy, it races better when it's slicker doesn't it Belle Vue fans?

It's certainly better when it's very slick with a bit of dirt by the fence

Racing hasnt been as good this year for whatever reason. 

But at these semi finals there is such a gulf between riders. Have a final here and it would be unbelievable 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, andout said:

OK, I'll give it shot and try to explain....

Heat 7 France beat USA 5-1

Heat 13 France get a 3-3 with Latvia but France's 2nd and 3rd gives them a NON-COUNTING Bonus point for simply breaking ties at the end if the meeting.

Heat 17 USA beat Latvia 4-2

France therefore beats both and gets the Ranking for the meeting as 4th, USA with the win over Latvia gets 5th Ranking and Latvia 6th.

Ranking is important in Heats 22 and 23, Ranking breaks 3-3's.

Because of the 4th Ranking France only needed a 3-3 to go through whether they got a 1st and a 4th or a 2nd and 3rd USA had to get a 4-2 or a 5-1 to beat France.

Heat 23 France would have needed a 4-2 or a 5-1 as a 3-3 would have given the 3rd Ranked Danes the win.

I think I have that right....if I'm wrong I'm sure someone else will correct me.

Why oh why can they not just keep it simple, scoring 4,3,2,0 and running it as a standard 21 heat meeting would have produced the exact some top 3 without all this additional race faff.

Even the riders cannot get their heads around the current system.

If they want to keep the interest going until the end just ensure the fancied teams meet late on in the meeting, job done.

Thought the meeting was ok but you arent going to get great racing at times when there is a gulf between the teams.

Usa had only 1 rider really mixing it (and how good was young Becker by the way). The finns also only really had Aarnio at times involved and the Latvians Lebedev

Tai looked imperious when he sorted his set up out and Lambert loves Belle Vue. Cook did nothing wrong but i feel although he has ridden for Belle Vue that he doesnt always ride the right lines around there...just my opinion

Madsen looked super quick once he got going as well

I believe its between us and the Swedes, Poles and Russians

Never thought i would say this but im not to worried about Emil , more so Laguta who i think could be a serious World title contender this season if he takes another step forward

• Like 1

All in all, I thought it was a decent meeting, with enough good racing at times to keep it entertaining. In one regard, it would have been easy to predict in advance who was going to qualify, but for a time I thought the Danes were in trouble with the Latvians and French in the mix.

Lebedev was fantastic value for the Latvians, while the French had a solid pair of riders; Berge was extremely unfortunate in Heat Three against GB. The Americans came to the party late in the meeting aided by the points gifted to them by the Madsen/Iversen incident.

I wasn't overly impressed with the refereeing. Heat Two was farcical, while I couldn't understand why Iversen wasn't thrown out of the race against Finland, when he appeared to clearly touch the tapes. To give all four riders a warning was odd, as Aarnio didn't appear to move, while Mustonen and Jacobsen only appeared to move after Iversen moved first.

Took my 15 year old lad and it cost £22.50 for the pair of us..

Fantastic value for money...

Thought the racing was very good with several excellent races

Just watched it on the box and the coverage didn't do it any justice, dreadful directorship....

Wrong cameras were time and time again being used, missing lots of the action...

Wouldn't have thought he/she is familiar with Speedway looking at the way they missed so much by doing close ups of single riders 20 yards in front..

As for the catering? 

On the South Stand there was one lad serving behind the bar which led to long, long queues, and they ran out of lager with about six heats left...

"We've only got cider!" Was the shout...

It helped keep the queues down....:D

There must have a couple of thousand tickets sold for the South Stand, and this was known, so not great planning I would think..

A Premiership meeting would have cost us £25 and for £2.50 less we got to see Woffy blast round giving a masterclass in speed and control...

Not a bad night at all, looking forward now to the World U21 Final to get my next Speedway fix..

Lets hope for another sensibly priced event and another good crowd (but more lager)!...

Edited by mikebv

I was genuinely under the impression that rank didn't pull in the playoff races and as it's a team event, in the event of a 3-3 The pairing finishing 2nd and 3rd won it?

1 hour ago, woodenspoon said:

Glad a neutral brought the screeching from Haley up. Us poor home fans have to put up with the screaming banshee, every meeting. It adds nothing to the enjoyment of the racing.

You can’t fault her enthusiasm, but the pitch of her voice does unfortunately cut through you after a few heats.

Yes the catering, and the general policy if not being able to take your own food in, which is rather strange. Is it simply to boost bar profits? What about those with specific dietary requirements. Ridiculous long queues for rather unappetising stuff when you finally get to the front. Glad we had a decent pint elsewhere beforehand.

But lets be positive. For anyone who hasn’t been to Belle Vue make the effort. The racing is fast and entertaining.