British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

SoN Belle Vue

3 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

I was genuinely under the impression that rank didn't pull in the playoff races and as it's a team event, in the event of a 3-3 The pairing finishing 2nd and 3rd won it?

They changed the rules for this season, so that the lower ranking team in the KO races has to take a heat advantage (4-2, 5-1) to advance. Your comments don't surprise me though, as few others in the area I was sitting in were aware either. There certainly hasn't been much publicity either of the rule change.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Took my 15 year old lad and it cost £22.50 for the pair of us..

Fantastic value for money...

Thought the racing was very good with several excellent races

Just watched it on the box and the coverage didn't do it any justice, dreadful directorship....

Wrong cameras were time and time again being used, missing lots of the action...

Wouldn't have thought he/she is familiar with Speedway looking at the way they missed so much by doing close ups of single riders 20 yards in front..

As for the catering? 

On the South Stand there was one lad serving behind the bar which led to long, long queues, and they ran out of lager with about six heats left...

"We've only got cider!" Was the shout...

It helped keep the queues down....:D

There must have a couple of thousand tickets sold for the South Stand, and this was known, so not great planning I would think..

A Premiership meeting would have cost us £25 and for £2.50 less we got to see Woffy blast round giving a masterclass in speed and control...

Not a bad night at all, looking forward now to the World U21 Final to get my next Speedway fix..

Lets hope for another sensibly priced event and another good crowd (but more lager)!...

IT wasn't the usual TV director ...

• Like 1

I was there and thoroughly enjoyed it as I always do my trips to Belle Vue but gather it didn’t come across anywhere as well on telly. 

Top level sport is all about intensity . Unfortunately this format now provides the first 2 events which are forgone conclusions . Yes the 2 day Final may be great but the old World Cup format was much better. 1 winner from event 1 and 2 through to the Final, places 2 and 3 to the race off , with the top 2 from the race off progressing to the Final. Under this format can see Manchester regularly having one of first 2 events with the numbers that turned out at Manchester last night. Credit to the GB fans but can see this interest waning, knowing the result of sport before you turn up is not great. The format if to continue needs a further tweak. 

5 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Hes going to be better than Hancock. Alot more fun watching Luke 

Better than Hancock ? 'I doubt that very much'! But a real star in the making. The best 'Yank' prospect in a long time!

I think he's going to be more of a Billy Hamill which is great from an entertainment spectacle.

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

Top level sport is all about intensity . Unfortunately this format now provides the first 2 events which are forgone conclusions . Yes the 2 day Final may be great but the old World Cup format was much better. 1 winner from event 1 and 2 through to the Final, places 2 and 3 to the race off , with the top 2 from the race off progressing to the Final. Under this format can see Manchester regularly having one of first 2 events with the numbers that turned out at Manchester last night. Credit to the GB fans but can see this interest waning, knowing the result of sport before you turn up is not great. The format if to continue needs a further tweak. 

I see your point, however the same can be said of the WTC too. It’s usually a formality in event 1 and 2 with the weakest teams in each event a pure filler. It’s always the obvious 3 better nations that qualify for the later stages. Although of course winning those events have much more importance for intensity.

20 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I see your point, however the same can be said of the WTC too. It’s usually a formality in event 1 and 2 with the weakest teams in each event a pure filler. It’s always the obvious 3 better nations that qualify for the later stages. Although of course winning those events have much more importance for intensity.

The mandatory Under 21 rule doesn't do the smaller speedway nations any favours, as they are far less likely to have a competitive rider to select. It makes the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have not's' that much wider.

It also doesn't do the riders any favours; for instance, think of the time and expense of Finland sending Timi Salonen to the event, for him to have a mechanical failure at the start of Heat One. The French Under 21 rider also looked little better than National League standard.

in my opinion, it would be better for each competing country to nominate any three riders of their choice with one rider acting as a reserve. This would formally turn the event back into the World Pairs, which the Speedway of Nations is masquerading as anyway.

15 hours ago, andout said:

OK, I'll give it shot and try to explain....

Heat 7 France beat USA 5-1

Heat 13 France get a 3-3 with Latvia but France's 2nd and 3rd gives them a NON-COUNTING Bonus point for simply breaking ties at the end if the meeting.

Heat 17 USA beat Latvia 4-2

France therefore beats both and gets the Ranking for the meeting as 4th, USA with the win over Latvia gets 5th Ranking and Latvia 6th.

This is wrong.   

Head to heads don't matter with 3 or more tied teams.   It is total bonus points that matter.

14 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

When more than 2 teams are tied on the same number of points, you go back and count bonus points.

So in the tie for 4th, 5th and 6th,  France had scored 3 bonus points (and therefore finished 4th).  USA had 2 bonus points (finishing 5th) and Latvia had just 1 bonus point (so 6th).

This is correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iwright71 said:

The format had to change to make the competition more interesting....if the old style '4' man team event had remained, then nobody would get anywhere near Poland for another few years to come!

From the FIM speedway of Nations rules.

Race Off 1 & 2 

1a.  In the event of equal points for two teams after the conclusion of the heat 21, or heat 14 if for any reason the meeting cannot reach heat 21, the team that scored the most points when the two teams met will be considered the better placed team.

1b. If the two teams scored the same quantity of points, the team taking second and third positions will be considered the better placed team.

1c. In the event of equal points for three or more teams, after the conclusion of the qualification heats, teams are considered to have scored a bonus point on each occasion they finish in positions 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 during the qualification heats. The team scoring the higher number of bonus points will be considered the better placed team.

1d. If there still remains a tie, the amount of first, second, third and fourth places in total taken by all riders will decide the better placed team. Zero for last placing is better than being disqualified for whatever reason.

1e. If all other solutions cannot resolve the tie, then the Team with the highest 2019 SoN Ranking will be deemed the better placed Team.

Edited by racers and royals

Really enjoyed the racing last night, again the NSS delivers again, good to see Tero Aarnio, the American team , well all the riders really for putting on a good show.:)

On the negative side the PA was difficult to hear at times in the stand so missed some team changes, the catering effort was poor, surely it is basic planning to get it right eg extra staff , better organised or pop up bars.

Some fans were more interested in going for a beer then returning mid race walking in front of people?

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Took my 15 year old lad and it cost £22.50 for the pair of us..

Fantastic value for money...

Thought the racing was very good with several excellent races

Just watched it on the box and the coverage didn't do it any justice, dreadful directorship....

Wrong cameras were time and time again being used, missing lots of the action...

Wouldn't have thought he/she is familiar with Speedway looking at the way they missed so much by doing close ups of single riders 20 yards in front..

As for the catering? 

On the South Stand there was one lad serving behind the bar which led to long, long queues, and they ran out of lager with about six heats left...

"We've only got cider!" Was the shout...

It helped keep the queues down....:D

There must have a couple of thousand tickets sold for the South Stand, and this was known, so not great planning I would think..

A Premiership meeting would have cost us £25 and for £2.50 less we got to see Woffy blast round giving a masterclass in speed and control...

Not a bad night at all, looking forward now to the World U21 Final to get my next Speedway fix..

Lets hope for another sensibly priced event and another good crowd (but more lager)!...

Any idea when tickets will be available forWorld/21 Team final?

7 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Really enjoyed the racing last night, again the NSS delivers again, good to see Tero Aarnio, the American team , well all the riders really for putting on a good show.:)

On the negative side the PA was difficult to hear at times in the stand so missed some team changes, the catering effort was poor, surely it is basic planning to get it right eg extra staff , better organised or pop up bars.

Some fans were more interested in going for a beer then returning mid race walking in front of people?

And this is what some promoters don't understand, some people just want a night out! 

• Like 1

Good morning all

Just watched SON from Belle Vue on catch up and I thought it came across brilliant. Best match I've seen this year. Perhaps BT did some editting if some of the live camera work wasn't great. 

Full house, brilliant speedway, minor nations mixing it. Got to say the new style SON is excellent. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, iwright71 said:

World Pairs with more than two from each country, pairs put forward by federations with world ranking of riders taken into consideration too? :D