British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

SoN Belle Vue

18 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

The mandatory Under 21 rule doesn't do the smaller speedway nations any favours, as they are far less likely to have a competitive rider to select. It makes the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have not's' that much wider.

It also doesn't do the riders any favours; for instance, think of the time and expense of Finland sending Timi Salonen to the event, for him to have a mechanical failure at the start of Heat One. The French Under 21 rider also looked little better than National League standard.

in my opinion, it would be better for each competing country to nominate any three riders of their choice with one rider acting as a reserve. This would formally turn the event back into the World Pairs, which the Speedway of Nations is masquerading as anyway.

Nobody other than FIM wanted to make the 3rd rider a mandatory U21 and Poland is the only nation that has more than 1 good enough of them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

The format had to change to make the competition more interesting....if the old style '4' man team event had remained, then nobody would get anywhere near Poland for another few years to come!

I strongly feel that the format of the competition changed so that there would even be a competition.

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Any idea when tickets will be available forWorld/21 Team final?

Not sure when it starts but they will be available on the day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

The mandatory Under 21 rule doesn't do the smaller speedway nations any favours, as they are far less likely to have a competitive rider to select. It makes the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have not's' that much wider.

It also doesn't do the riders any favours; for instance, think of the time and expense of Finland sending Timi Salonen to the event, for him to have a mechanical failure at the start of Heat One. The French Under 21 rider also looked little better than National League standard.

in my opinion, it would be better for each competing country to nominate any three riders of their choice with one rider acting as a reserve. This would formally turn the event back into the World Pairs, which the Speedway of Nations is masquerading as anyway.

Good point, although I have to applaud those in authority for making it compulsory because it should make all nations involved look to the future and bring on young talent.

Poland is a hard one to compare too because they lead the way in everything. It’s only the ‘pairs’ competition that they don’t have the most outstanding team and juniors. 

But it’s a fair point recommending any 3 riders however it’s still the same issue between those that have 3 outstanding riders and those who have only, at best 1 (Slovenia/Czech/Latvia etc)

32 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Good point, although I have to applaud those in authority for making it compulsory because it should make all nations involved look to the future and bring on young talent.

Poland is a hard one to compare too because they lead the way in everything. It’s only the ‘pairs’ competition that they don’t have the most outstanding team and juniors. 

But it’s a fair point recommending any 3 riders however it’s still the same issue between those that have 3 outstanding riders and those who have only, at best 1 (Slovenia/Czech/Latvia etc)

However, as it is at the moment, the rule is tokenistic with each Under 21 rider having to only take one ride. I feel that they either have to remove the rule completely, or alternatively make the Under 21 rider take as many rides as the other riders in the team. Of course, if they were to choose the latter, it would make the gap between the 'haves' and 'have not's' even greater.

At least by reverting to the old World Pairs format, it would give the smaller nations a better chance of springing an upset and reaching the final, as it would make their pool of talent a little larger.

The state of speedway in most countries, at present, is such that it is difficult for most nations concerned to invest and try to develop young talent. in an ideal world that wouldn't be the case. However, outside of Poland, there isn't the money available to do so. Moreover, in most countries you are relying on a network of volunteers, such as club officials in Scandinavia, to keep tracks open, encourage new riders into the sport and try to develop them.

Edited by moomin man 76

I am more and more the opinion that it is just down to pure luck when a young talent comes through. I mean look at Denmark, who have no problem with track availability and even in theory upped their game by putting Gundersen in charge of youth development. But in all honesty, as I have said a few times, the last top riders like Bjerre, Liglad, Madsen and Kildemand were all well on the way before Erik took the reigns. Bjerre and Madsen already on 500cc. Since that time Danish talent has dried up, Swedes have had problems getting someone through, the Australian system throws up a surprise now and again and we have got lucky with Lambert and of course Tai.

But I have said before, the case of riders doing 3 or 4 leagues cuts down opportunities. But is it a chicken or egg situation? Is it necessary because there aren't the riders out there or does it put youngsters off at an early stage because they can't get the rides.... Is it only realistic to have an Elite championship with the top teams and have another championship for the lesser teams maybe with promotion/relegation each year? Cut out the dross and have a nailbiting comp. Although in speedway there probably isn't the money there to run a sort of 2nd division SWC 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, racers and royals said:

BT Sport have just said  that  coverage of the finals from Russia in July start at 5.45pm for i assume 6pm 1st race- however even though i can`t find official confirmation of start time anywhere- adverts coming out of Togliatti show i believe start time of 7pm local which is 4pm UK time- so we will have to wait to see if BT have the correct time.

Speedway GP website have added that start time is 7pm local which will be 4pm here- so BT Sport have definitely made a mistake in saying 5.45pm- that should be 3.45 pm  

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

I am more and more the opinion that it is just down to pure luck when a young talent comes through. I mean look at Denmark, who have no problem with track availability and even in theory upped their game by putting Gundersen in charge of youth development. But in all honesty, as I have said a few times, the last top riders like Bjerre, Liglad, Madsen and Kildemand were all well on the way before Erik took the reigns. Bjerre and Madsen already on 500cc. Since that time Danish talent has dried up, Swedes have had problems getting someone through, the Australian system throws up a surprise now and again and we have got lucky with Lambert and of course Tai.

I think there is an element of truth in what you are saying...for instance, if Speedway of Nations had existed two years ago, Finland could have chosen from Nike Lunna, Jesse Mustonen and Jooa Partanen as an Under 21 rider. Hopefully Timi Salonen develops, but he isn't at their level yet...

14 hours ago, James Carter said:

Good morning all

Just watched SON from Belle Vue on catch up and I thought it came across brilliant. Best match I've seen this year. Perhaps BT did some editting if some of the live camera work wasn't great. 

Full house, brilliant speedway, minor nations mixing it. Got to say the new style SON is excellent. 

Next time you go to Belle Vue m buy the Peter Craven Memorial meeting ... DVD

Super value and great racing

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Speedway GP website have added that start time is 7pm local which will be 4pm here- so BT Sport have definitely made a mistake in saying 5.45pm- that should be 3.45 pm  

Maybe they’re planning on showing delayed coverage at the usual GP time slot as live coverage might clash with other sports that they usually show in the afternoon. 

16 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Maybe they’re planning on showing delayed coverage at the usual GP time slot as live coverage might clash with other sports that they usually show in the afternoon. 

No way- they have 4 channels- just a cock up !!!!

16 hours ago, James Carter said:

Good morning all

Just watched SON from Belle Vue on catch up and I thought it came across brilliant. Best match I've seen this year. Perhaps BT did some editting if some of the live camera work wasn't great. 

Full house, brilliant speedway, minor nations mixing it. Got to say the new style SON is excellent. 

France were a bit unlucky with Berge EF on last bend when in front of Brits