British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

Eastbourne v Leicester

Leicester..  looking the team to beat now..Off night for Eagles top two being the difference ,even with Lawsons bad luck in heat 15..he probably had difficulty holding the bike up with no footrest.....Lions top 3 ,with some help from the erratic Perks,,did the job...

Edited by waco

1 hour ago, Hunters said:

Nothing unlucky about it Lawson must be hanging his head in shame.

For those that were not there Eastbourne led by 3 points and just wanted two from the last heat. Lawson made the gate and Nicholls nibbled at him all the way opening up a gap between them and Worrell who was having his battle with Kennett,  on the third lap coming out of bend 4 Lawson hit the fence but bounced off and kept the lead, on the last lap coming out of bend 4 again he did exactly the same thing but this  time fell with just a few yards to go thus giving the Lions a 5-1 to win the match. Knowing we only needed second to win the match why on earth did he not stick to a safe line  even if Nicholls got the drive to beat him to the finish.  The crowd were stunned and I think I still am

P.S must congratulate the Lions on choice of Guest, first time at the track he was superb.  

Lawson was under real pressure from Scott-- he hit the fence lap 3 - and lost his footrest. After that, he could not get it around bends 3/4 on the last lap

Lawson still must have known a second place would do it for us and should have ridden accordingly before the hit.Worse still, what on earth was Kennett doing in heat 15, hadn't been near a race win all day, and when he missed the gate would be obvious he would come 4th putting more pressure on Lawson. Would have rather seen Kerr in heat 15, or even Georgie Wood,  who had found some speed to go with his usual fight over his last 2 rides

Edited by gazzac

Wow, tough old crowd at Arlington. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Wow, tough old crowd at Arlington. 

You're right really, having thought on it overnight, although my comments I think are correct, a bit harsh on our riders especially Richard Lawson as it all happened at speed in under a minute, can't imagine what that must be like. Also in any league we've been in, rarely lose at home, so when we do we are a tough crowd. It just shows with a top heavy team if the top 2 don't fire, even with the reserves scoring so well we will be beaten. I always thought to get to the playoffs we'd have to be unbeaten at home, so straight away going to make it difficult, I just hope Leicester really are the title favourites,  otherwise we'll be in trouble at home again. Assuming we qualify past Birmingham in the KO Cup, we've Leicester in the second round of the KO Cup, so if this weekend is anything to go by could be difficult to progress in that unless the heat leaders improve, knowing our luck expect we'll draw Leicester in the semi final of the Shield!

I'll get this out of the way first - Always a shame when a rider deliberately stays on track to gain a re-run. (Yes, I know it works both ways).

Would've chosen Kerr instead of Kennett in heat 15, but what do I know?

Enough of that. Leicester's big guns swung it for them in a really absorbing contest, the sort of which keeps punters attending.

Obviously would have preferred to WIN by a point, but a refreshing change from the 60-30's!

Considering the footrest, Dickie is still the Lawson of awesome :D:D.

Edited by Guest

Let's hope we do draw Leicester again. At least they'll be cracking contests.

Wasn't there so hard to comment on specifics but have seen a few clips of the racing and also some of the comments on social media about the size of the crowd at Arlington (again) and the number of kids attending.

Coming from NL with Brummies as Eastbourne have, I think most hardcore speedway fans want close competitive racing and last heat deciders and not runaway wins and nothing brings newcomers back more than excitement; incidents and dare I say crashes. Winning 60 points every week like Eastbourne have for years must get boring and this loss will come as a shock to some.

Enjoy it embrace it we used to say "happiness is 40-38" well 45 - 44 sounds as good as it gets to me and if a big crowd there to enjoy it so much the better.

I wish we could have some of the commercial and marketing excellence that Eastbourne seem to have found at Perry Barr, no disrespect to anyone at PB but we need more supporters coming in and  more enthusiasm and innovation.

Well done Leicester though I can't see anyone else winning there and they are also losing riders but finding a way round it and no doubt down to the outstanding man manager they have bought in from Glasgow.

• Like 2

With multiple track closures in the south east, Eastbourne seemed to have tapped into the market for the floating fans. Lens decision to charge £15 for NL racing at Kent just helps top up the crowd levels at Arlington.

13 minutes ago, HGould said:

Wasn't there so hard to comment on specifics but have seen a few clips of the racing and also some of the comments on social media about the size of the crowd at Arlington (again) and the number of kids attending.

Coming from NL with Brummies as Eastbourne have, I think most hardcore speedway fans want close competitive racing and last heat deciders and not runaway wins and nothing brings newcomers back more than excitement; incidents and dare I say crashes. Winning 60 points every week like Eastbourne have for years must get boring and this loss will come as a shock to some.

Enjoy it embrace it we used to say "happiness is 40-38" well 45 - 44 sounds as good as it gets to me and if a big crowd there to enjoy it so much the better.

I wish we could have some of the commercial and marketing excellence that Eastbourne seem to have found at Perry Barr, no disrespect to anyone at PB but we need more supporters coming in and  more enthusiasm and innovation.

Well done Leicester though I can't see anyone else winning there and they are also losing riders but finding a way round it and no doubt down to the outstanding man manager they have bought in from Glasgow.

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Riding on a Sunday helps with the kids attending imo!

It did come as a shock,  but as you say 45/44 is far more exciting than 60/30, just hope next time it goes the other way , I didn't realise until the posts on here what a bad loser I am, I'll try harder if it happens again :unsure:.

Think Sunday is good for the crowd,  but Saturday night is so much better for the track, normally even better racing.

• Like 1

In the NL it almost became a given that the Eagles would make the play offs. Also, you never expected to lose at home.

The Championship, as we were warned, to be fair, is very, very different. We are going to have some tight meetings at Arlington this year - last heat deciders and hopefully plenty of thrills as we did yesterday.

Play Offs? Would like to dream of that. Time, of course, will tell. Wood and Brennan seem to be getting going (at home to some effect), Morley did his job yesterday (pd 8) but Bowtell is struggling. However, he is riding at No 3...not sure how or when the averages change but think a run at reserve will do him the world of good. Also think he needs someone to breathe a bit more fire into his motors.

I also think Saturday night racing is far better than Sunday afternoons when track prep must be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

In the NL it almost became a given that the Eagles would make the play offs. Also, you never expected to lose at home.

The Championship, as we were warned, to be fair, is very, very different. We are going to have some tight meetings at Arlington this year - last heat deciders and hopefully plenty of thrills as we did yesterday.

Play Offs? Would like to dream of that. Time, of course, will tell. Wood and Brennan seem to be getting going (at home to some effect), Morley did his job yesterday (pd 8) but Bowtell is struggling. However, he is riding at No 3...not sure how or when the averages change but think a run at reserve will do him the world of good. Also think he needs someone to breathe a bit more fire into his motors.

I also think Saturday night racing is far better than Sunday afternoons when track prep must be a nightmare.

Tom will have completed the 4 home and 4 away meetings to gain an average after the home and away meetings v Glasgow on the 17th & 18th so he will move into the main body with Bowtell dropping to reserve.

Edited by eaglesno1

4 minutes ago, eaglesno1 said:

Tom will have completed the 4 home and 4 away meetings to gain an average after the home and away meetings v Glasgow on the 17th & 18th so he will move into the main body with Bowtell dropping to reserve.

Thank you --- just what Alfie needs.

Wonder how they will shuffle the pack: like for direct swap with Bowtell or move Morley to 3 and use Tom at 2?

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Thank you --- just what Alfie needs.

Wonder how they will shuffle the pack: like for direct swap with Bowtell or move Morley to 3 and use Tom at 2?

I'd put Tom at 3, riding with Lewis will be good, and I think he'll come on in leaps and bounds every month, Ben also seems to have settled at 2. Hopefully help with Alfie's confidence as well.