British Speedway Forum

P.S. please don't fall out about something this trivial.  The sport retaining the "odd" fan who wants to bring his dog to meetings has got to be less important than say, a corporate giant trying to destroy an iconic venue or our sport facing total collapse before I pop my clogs. 

Edited by False dawn

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Dogs unless guide dogs should never be allowed in . Could i bring my horse in on a lead ? whats the difference ?

I think some promotions might bridle at that

32 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

The Isle of Wight allow dogs.

Only if they have a dog licence! Available for 37p! Well they were 37p in 1987. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Only if they have a dog licence! Available for 37p! Well they were 37p in 1987. :unsure:

You sure that wasn't the Isle of Dogs??? :rofl:

14 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

That was a discounted price. The price was 7s 6d which converted to 37½p on decimalisation. However the half pence was discontinued in 1984 and the price of the licence reduced to 37p.

Why am I telling you all this? :oops:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, chunky said:

You sure that wasn't the Isle of Dogs??? :rofl:

The Isle of Dogs is a yappy area these days...sorry, that should be yuppie area! :o

Well I have to say that I spent a very pleasant afternoon, yesterday, with my wife and dog, Lenny at Leicester Speedway. The staff on the gate and several stewards were very welcoming and Lenny made several new friends (he just loves people but he couldn't eat a whole one, ugh). Seriously, I know not everyone agrees with the concept of dogs at speedway, but Lenny was (as always) a model of good behaviour and was given many admiring looks from passing fans from both teams.

Having all but finished my list of tracks that do and don't accept dogs (see 1st post on this thread), I'm heartened by the numbers that do. Thanks to all those who helped in the compilation of this information.

• Like 3

Next time get him to look pleadingly at one of the stewards who usually has a selection of dog biscuits in his pocket. Always works for Lucy. :D

• Haha 1

Only a sport as backwards as Speedway would let dogs in, this excluding the people that need them for disabilities of course.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

Just to add I have no problem with dogs myself but you wouldn't see this happen at any other professional sports events.

Cricket is one example, I'm sure there are more

• Like 1

I'm sure there are too but it's not worth the hassle bothering.

Speedway always has been and remains a rare sport indeed. And I'm not referring to the racing spectacular that we all appreciate. I refer to the "family" nature of the sport. I'm sure there are other sports that have a similar look and feel on the terraces, or wherever you spectate. But we should cherish that friendly environment and me taking my boy with me is but an extension of that. Lenny will leave you alone and won't disturb your enjoyment, so why shouldn't I take him with me? He doesn't like being ignored because he's a very friendly chap. But feel free to take no notice of his presence. For my part, if the promotion permit me take him with me, i will continue to do so. Not to spite anyone, but because I enjoy his company.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, False dawn said:

For my part, if the promotion permit me take him with me, i will continue to do so. Not to spite anyone, but because I enjoy his company.

Me too. I feel lost without Lucy by my side.  I have always taken a dog with me to Speedway meetings and they have never been a problem to anyone. We're not  exactly at some posh all seated indoor arena but usually pretty basic grass banking or terracing so why not if they are allowed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1