British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe v Newcastle League 10.5.19

19 hours ago, leander said:

Not to the extent where they have to pump water out of the puddles on a hot August evening. The first 5 heats are like racing in a paddy field. That's why it's not as good as it can be. I've yet to see a tractor during a meeting. Nothing wrong with one or two tractor breaks to drag the dirt back. if timed correctly it needn't impact on the meeting at all (i.e. during the interval, or when a rider has two races in a row). 

sometimes though dragging the dirt back has the reverse affect and you end up with marbles on a hard surface which gains nothing at all

The EWR is wide enough i think to let lines develop,sometimes track grading grades the life out of a track

• Like 1

TONIGHT’S speedway meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway between the HEB Scunthorpe Scorpions and Newcastle Diamonds has been postponed due to a waterlogged track. The call-off was made at midday.

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey explains: “It’s largely down to the torrential rain we’ve had over the last 48 hours.

“It rained heavily on Wednesday, which we were expecting, but then it was heavy rain again yesterday (Thursday), which wasn’t forecast.

“This morning, the forecast was due to be a dry day and we could got have got the track back. But it started raining again at 11am, it’s still raining now (12.15pm), and the forecast has changed and there’s now a possiblility of further rain later today.

“I know we can’t get the track back in time, and I hope everyone appreciates the early call-off, rather than wasting their time tonight.”

There is no re-staging date as yet, although the two clubs are in contact about a possible new date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScunnyDan said:

31st may? neither team has a fixture that night

There's the British Semi final at Redcar guess a few of the Scunny boys and Steve Worrall might be riding in that

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, lucifer sam said:

TONIGHT’S speedway meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway between the HEB Scunthorpe Scorpions and Newcastle Diamonds has been postponed due to a waterlogged track. The call-off was made at midday.

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey explains: “It’s largely down to the torrential rain we’ve had over the last 48 hours.

“It rained heavily on Wednesday, which we were expecting, but then it was heavy rain again yesterday (Thursday), which wasn’t forecast.

“This morning, the forecast was due to be a dry day and we could got have got the track back. But it started raining again at 11am, it’s still raining now (12.15pm), and the forecast has changed and there’s now a possiblility of further rain later today.

“I know we can’t get the track back in time, and I hope everyone appreciates the early call-off, rather than wasting their time tonight.”

There is no re-staging date as yet, although the two clubs are in contact about a possible new date.

Here is the example why getting speedway meetings on is difficult.

We could not get on the track to prepare it as the rain came down.

At Redcar, it seems they had a similar rainfall Wednesday & Thursday but then could get on the track to prepare it, then rush through the meeting in 90minutes if rain expected.

At Glasgow, after checking the rain radar prior to their meeting, rain was expected & looking at the photos of the track walk where water was present( either from rainfall or watering of the track), it was all systems go. Then the rain came to cancel the meeting. 

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Here is the example why getting speedway meetings on is difficult.

We could not get on the track to prepare it as the rain came down.

At Redcar, it seems they had a similar rainfall Wednesday & Thursday but then could get on the track to prepare it, then rush through the meeting in 90minutes if rain expected.

At Glasgow, after checking the rain radar prior to their meeting, rain was expected & looking at the photos of the track walk where water was present( either from rainfall or watering of the track), it was all systems go. Then the rain came to cancel the meeting. 

Was near Scunthorpe last night, coincidentally, wasn't planning on going to the meeting, but it p!ssed down all afternoon and evening, would have made it hard to see for the riders, never mind how bad the track was

Well that's strange because I was in Scunthorpe all day and it stopped very light drizzling at 12.40 ,from then on no rain whatsoever, then light spots at 20.35pm. Forecast was spot on.:rolleyes:

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Well that's strange because I was in Scunthorpe all day and it stopped very light drizzling at 12.40 ,from then on no rain whatsoever, then light spots at 20.35pm. Forecast was spot on.:rolleyes:

Well we must have been in different weather fronts :rolleyes:

When I say near, I mean 30 miles north lol... And I think the amount of water the track must have taken during the week, it would have just turned to mush anyway, no matter what the weather did

31 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Well we must have been in different weather fronts :rolleyes:

When I say near, I mean 30 miles north lol... And I think the amount of water the track must have taken during the week, it would have just turned to mush anyway, no matter what the weather did

Thirty miles in weather terms is quite a way,30 miles north of Newcastle and you would be speaking with a Scottish accent instead of Geordie.:D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Thirty miles in weather terms is quite a way,30 miles north of Newcastle and you would be speaking with a Scottish accent instead of Geordie.:D

10 miles east of Newcastle and, it would be wet with no chance of gettting the track sorted.

22 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

30 miles north of Newcastle is about Rothbury.  Try about 60 miles to be speaking with a Scottish accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1