British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Glasgow 05/05/19 SGB Championship Shield. 6.30pm

Final Shield match of the season.

Glasgow will have to find a guest for Luke Chessell, who has stepped down from his Tigers duties.

Thomas Jorgensen is back for the Diamonds, after a long drive from Stansted.

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Final Shield match of the season.

Glasgow will have to find a guest for Luke Chessell, who has stepped down from his Tigers duties.

Thomas Jorgensen is back for the Diamonds, after a long drive from Stansted.

Luke Ruddick guesting in place of Chessell.

It was a case of when and not if he decided to step down as he was so far off the pace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If only we were that lucky... 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Hold on can Glasgow get away with using other 2 pointers to replace half a lap behind Chessell? Like Flint and Brennan?

Yes, but a rider like Luke coming back from serious injury was always going to find it difficult and not to be mocked. It can't be easy for any rider in that position

Anyway my mother always said if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Edited by Gazc

Ooops computer going a bit haywire.

Edited by Gazc

50 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Yes, but a rider like Luke coming back from serious injury was always going to find it difficult and not to be mocked. It can't be easy for any rider in that position

Anyway my mother always said if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything. 

Don't think any of us sitting at a keyboard is in any position to mock a rider who has come back from such a serious injury. He gave it a shot and hats off to him for having the balls to do it. But it was best for all concerned he stepped down. 

• Like 3

Not mocking him at all, he’s had a year out and wasn’t good enough for Championship before his injury never mind after it? But it just doesn’t seem fair to me, should be any 2.00 not currently in a 1-7 imo but as they say, thems the rules.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Not mocking him at all, he’s had a year out and wasn’t good enough for Championship before his injury never mind after it? But it just doesn’t seem fair to me, should be any 2.00 not currently in a 1-7 imo but as they say, thems the rules.

I have said all along the problem is cutting the team average down to a ridiculous level , it now means riders are thrown in against riders they have no chance against based on there average rather than there ability.

It will do more harm than good when the distinct possibility of some of these young riders chucking it due to there confidence being shot to bits , they should have been allowed to progress at there own pace rather than thrown in at the deep end with next to no chance of doing anything

As for Chessell this just highlights the average watering down, if they had been the 42 they should he would have been nowhere near a CL reserve position as is the case with most.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 4

Whilst I can understand Luke Chessell's decision, he should have rode today at Newcastle. Then Glasgow would have had two or three days at least to find a permanent replacement. As it is Luke is deemed to be withholding his services and will surely be hit with a 28 day ban which will impact on his appearances for Stoke in the NL.

1 minute ago, leander said:

Whilst I can understand Luke Chessell's decision, he should have rode today at Newcastle. Then Glasgow would have had two or three days at least to find a permanent replacement. As it is Luke is deemed to be withholding his services and will surely be hit with a 28 day ban which will impact on his appearances for Stoke in the NL.

Don't think the 28 day ban will bother him too much, probably a good thing in the long run to take at least that length of time away from it to try and sort his head out in what he wants to do in the long run.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I have said all along the problem is cutting the team average down to a ridiculous level , it now means riders are thrown in against riders they have no chance against based on there average rather than there ability.

It will do more harm than good when the distinct possibility of some of these young riders chucking it due to there confidence being shot to bits , they should have been allowed to progress at there own pace rather than thrown in at the deep end with next to no chance of doing anything

As for Chessell this just highlights the average watering down, if they had been the 42 they should he would have been nowhere near a CL reserve position as is the case with most.

By reducing the points limit,the BSPA think they can produce another Robert Lambert.

They are widely off the mark.

49 minutes ago, Gringo said:

By reducing the points limit,the BSPA think they can produce another Robert Lambert.

They are widely off the mark.

Lambert's ability was made long before he joined the championship, even before the NL... Probably when the Germans gave him a chance when Britain didn't... Because he was 'too young'

Same goes for the Spillers (Either one being a nice number 7 rider?)

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 2

Luke Ruddick guests for Glasgow tonight.