British Speedway Forum
TeamBouchard

Halifax v Long Eaton 14/10/67 - postponed

Re-reading some 1967 Long Eaton programmes in my collection, I've seen reference to the fixture which I had overlooked in trying to put together a reasonably definitive LE programme list. Checking Speedway Researcher and the Speedway Star issue containing the 'match report', both confirm that the fixture was 'rained off'. It was the final fixture at The Shay that season and was not re-run as the following Saturday was the BLRC at Belle Vue.

A good mate - and Dukes fan - has checked his collection of progs and does not have the 14/10/67 issue. Interestingly, the previous Dukes programme refers to the fixture (on the back page fixture list) as a Challenge Match against a British League select.

The issue of Speedway Star prior to the fixture simply refers to an 'open fixture'.

Can anyone confirm a) that Long Eaton were to be the visitors on 14/10/67 and b) if any programmes survive. I am assuming that the rain off and the fact it was the final fixture saw all the programmes pulped.

Hopefully someone can help. Cheers.

I will check out the BSPA 1968 yearbook tonight and let you know what entry it contains as this lists postponed meetings as well as the results.

According to Speedway Researcher and my own records......Yes Long Eaton were the visitors and it was indeed Rained Off.

But, NEVER assume all the programmes were pulped, have found several times people have thought that about other meetings then a few show up.

Edited by andout

The BSPA 1968 Yearbook states that the Halifax meeting on 14/10 was scheduled to be against a British League Select. There is no mention that this was a challenge v Long Eaton. (as confirmed in the Long Eaton section as well). As in the previous post (as the compiler of the complete season files from 1965 onwards) the Speedway Star advises this meeting was against Long Eaton. The mystery deepens !

Thank you for the research and replies, chaps. The history of speedway is littered with these anomalies but hopefully, one day, we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

My next port of call is to visit the Central Library in Nottingham, where they keep all copies of the local paper on microfilm to see if the postponement of Long Eaton's intended visit is reported.

Keep me posted on this one - I need to keep the 1967 season file for the Speedway Researcher website up to date.

Thanks

• Like 1

A good mate (and Halifax fan) has searched his programme collection to give, what hopefully is the definitive answer to this query.

The programme for Halifax v Newport on 7th October 1967 advertises the next fixture at The Shay 14th October,  as v British League Select (with riders from Long Eaton, Wolverhampton,  Poole, Newport, Oxford etc.).