British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pine490

M+SDL Reading v Milton Keynes

Does anyone know the story behind this fixture which is still listed on both the Reading Racers and Speedway GB web sites as taking place on 6 May but clearly didn't and in fact is not mentioned at all in the Swindon programme for that date?

David 

Postponed to a later date because Swin v Peterboro was a televised fixture

Okay, thanks Arnie.  Glad I didn't make the trip in the end. Very confusing if you are following web sites for information.

Why does the Premiership meeting being on TV stop the Development League  match taking place? Maybe a short break would be needed to allow the TV people to finish their comments but then there is no reason to change things.

Announced at the track on Monday it had been postponed until Thursday after Swindon Kings Lynn but that is now off.

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Why does the Premiership meeting being on TV stop the Development League  match taking place? Maybe a short break would be needed to allow the TV people to finish their comments but then there is no reason to change things.

think it's because the tv crews and vans take up a lot of pits space that is needed for the bikes etc …..plus after the meeting they are taking down the rigging etc ...it's been he same at most tracks when there have been televised meetings

2 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

think it's because the tv crews and vans take up a lot of pits space that is needed for the bikes etc …..plus after the meeting they are taking down the rigging etc ...it's been he same at most tracks when there have been televised meetings

Correct.  Tracks are not supposed to run any kind of racing after heat 15 because, as soon as the TV broadcast is over, they want to take up all the cables and equipment in the pits.   It would be a Health & Safety issue to have bikes coming in and out of the pits while cables are being lifted.  And the TV people won't have their contractors waiting 30 minutes on overtime while a MDL/SDL meeting is run.

Okay, understand all that, but I suppose the point I am making is that if the decision to postpone was known in advance, as it obviously was, then a simple message on the Reading Racers web site to that effect would have removed any confusion.  Why have a web site otherwise? I presume the development league information shown on the Speedway GB web site is simply fed to them by the various development leagues or clubs and that doesn't seem to have happened either.  I realise those involved at this level are doing it for the love of our sport and mostly out of the goodness of their hearts not to mention pockets, and I applaud them for that, but it is just another example of the lack of organisation and professionalism that seems to beset speedway.

I'll take the blame for that... I put it on Facebook but unfortunately it didn't get put on the website. Probably my fault that the BSPA website didn't change it either. I will hide behind what you said about us doing it for the love of it and I'm afraid a 4 month old baby and a wedding in 3 weeks has distracted me somewhat! Incidentally although we originally intended to race tonight instead, we couldn't find a team to come to us so abandoned that idea. Swindon did know this though.

• Like 1